Recommendations please

#1Mute787654Posted 6/6/2012 2:33:06 AM
Hi I was hoping someone could recommend which version of each Persona game is best in terms of story as a first priority and gameplay as a second. For instance would P3P be a better choice even though it lacks some story elements and apparently visual appeal solely because of the gameplay improvements? Or vice versa?

Also please inform me of any other SMT games that you believe are must buys. I find Catherine to be one of the few classics of this gen and have been interested in the SMT series for sometime now, but I don't wish to waste my money on an inferior version or if Atlus is planning on rereleasing them yet again with likely more improvements/changes.
---
Stay retro my friends
#2QuelaagFanPosted 6/6/2012 7:57:43 AM
I wouldn't say P3P lacks story elements.
---
XBL Ali TheDon / PSN Abbas-TheDon
That's real f***in' Nito
#3oathkeeper9918Posted 6/6/2012 8:31:30 AM
P3P just didn't have The Answer and it was more like a visual novel, although the battle system was way better than P3FES. But regardless you get the same story plus a female viewpoint, and you can just look up the cutscenes from The Answer since it's tedious anyways.
---
Won't change until FPS's are no longer popular
9/12/10
#4Strain42Posted 6/6/2012 10:48:25 AM
If you like Persona, the MegaTen series I would recommend the most would be the Devil Survivor games for the DS (Devil Survivor: Overclocked, the definitive version is for the 3DS)

Those games do a pretty good job of combining the general wackiness and character formation of the Persona games with the more serious overtones and story elements of the other series in the franchise.

Of course I'd recommend pretty much any MegaTen game. Most are worth a look
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#5PsychoDantisPosted 6/6/2012 10:53:06 AM(edited)
My favourite MegaTen games (Besides Persona) are the Digital Devil Saga games. Superb art, music and story.
---
Also, check out my awesome new iOS game! : http://youtu.be/SZaDm94mOq0
#6Mute787654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2012 5:35:41 AM
thank you for the replies, anyone else care to offer some insight?
---
Stay retro my friends
#7BuddhHA0991Posted 6/10/2012 7:53:44 AM
If you find the stories of Persona are what you like about the series, and you can stand for some subpar gameplay, I recommend Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is also coming out for PSP, but it is not out yet, and its the 2nd part of the Persona 2 Plot. It is my favorite Persona game(s), but I have to agree that the gameplay is very flawed. If you enjoy Persona 2, I would give Persona 1 a whirl too, but be warned that it has the worst gameplay in the series.
---
walla walla
#8Mute787654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2012 4:49:31 PM
I'm one of those people that has to play a series from the beginning even if the stories don't connect much, so I have every intention of playing them in order.
---
Stay retro my friends
#9Strain42Posted 6/10/2012 5:49:55 PM
Well if you have a Vita you'd be in luck there.

Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin are available for digital download. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (which is like Persona 2.5) should be out sometime this year and then Persona 3 Portable can also be got on the PSN Store. Then just pick up Golden and you're...well...golden.

Persona is the biggest series in the MegaTen franchise that has had all of the games officially brought stateside in one form of another, as all 5 games are available in the states (6 if you wanna count Persona 4 Arena, which is an official sequel to P4)

Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 were never officially released here, but there is a fan translation that can be played. There's also a side SMT game called "if..." that was never released or translated as far as I know. Nocturne is SMT3, then another side game called Strange Journey. Also SMT4 has been announced for the 3DS.

Digital Devil Saga is a two part game. That's it, so I certainly recommend that one. It's a good story.

Devil Summoner is technically 4 games, but the second two are basically a whole new series of games that share a protagonist. Soulless Army and King Abaddon are the two Raidou games for the PS2 and are technically Devil Summoner 3 and 4. But since they take place in the 1920's, you could actually argue that they're prequels. (While the Raidou games are my personal favorite, many people aren't a fan, so if you want to look into that one, make sure you check it out and make sure it's a game for you first) Soul Hackers is DS2 and coming out for the 3DS. The first game has unfortunately never been released in the states.

Then you've got the Devil Survivor series. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are both on the DS, and then you've got Devil Survivor: Overclocked for the 3DS which is basically the bigger version of the first game with voice acting and more story and stuff.

If you'd like to track them down, there's also DemiKids: Light and Dark version. I actually liked these games because the two versions form one story that links together from different points of view. Those are for the GBA. Sadly they made sequels to these games, but Atlus USA didn't release those.

I think the only MegaTen games released in the states aside from these is Revelations: The Demon Slayer (aka Last Bible) and there's also a fan translation of the sequel, Another Bible. If you wanna go REALLY old school, there's Jack Brothers for the Virtual Boy but...good luck tracking that down.

While not directly MegaTen games, Catherine for the PS3/360 and Maken X for the Dreamcast had a lot of the big players from the franchise behind the wheel of those games (if you're a european player I believe the better version of Maken X was released for the PS2)

I might be forgetting some things, but that's most of them.

If you're interested in the Persona series, I say go for it because right now that's the horse Atlus is putting their money on. For other series I would most recommend the two Raidou games, Digital Devil Saga and the Devil Survivor games.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#10Mute787654(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2012 8:06:21 PM
You all are awesome thank you very much for your advice!
---
Stay retro my friends