do you have to have played the other personas to understand this game?

#1Retroxgamer0Posted 6/12/2012 2:33:37 AM
ive never played a persona game before
#2FuyukiOsariPosted 6/12/2012 3:09:47 AM
Nope, not at all. This isn't a bad starting point, either, though I'd also recommend checking out Persona 3 Portable (PSP game, available for Vita through PSN).

Persona 1 and Persona 2 are... different, and not as well-liked, so I won't recommend them, but they're not bad games at all if you're into dungeon crawling RPGs. I'd suspect you aren't if you haven't already heard of them, though.
---
licious, adj.: the property of that which has not been eaten by me
#3SuperTatortotsPosted 6/12/2012 8:27:18 PM
Nope, though Persona 3 and Persona 4 do take place in the same universe (don't know about 1 & 2, didn't have the chance to play em) and I recommend playing at least Persona 3 (any version is fine, but FES and Portable are the best) as there are occasional references.
---
Taters gonna tate
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7wku3Ei081qaso2so1_500.png
#4powerprotomanPosted 6/12/2012 11:16:26 PM
SuperTatortots posted...
Nope, though Persona 3 and Persona 4 do take place in the same universe (don't know about 1 & 2, didn't have the chance to play em) and I recommend playing at least Persona 3 (any version is fine, but FES and Portable are the best) as there are occasional references.

the persona univers features all games in the series but is not in the smt universe (persona 3 has a feature with the tv that refrences characters from previous persona games...or was it 4 that did that)

but aside from some refrences theres not really any reason you have to play the other games.....but you should play 3
#5Lelouch71Posted 6/13/2012 12:03:32 AM
FuyukiOsari posted...
Persona 1 and Persona 2 are... different, and not as well-liked, so I won't recommend them, but they're not bad games at all if you're into dungeon crawling RPGs. I'd suspect you aren't if you haven't already heard of them, though.

Correction P2 have a pretty good cult following and arguably among the best for old school megaten fans. P1 on the other hand is a more of a mix bag. So I can agree with you there. They just less appealing to those who don't have an appreciation for old school games. Regardless, it's not guarantee that a person will dislike P1/P2 if they start with P3/P4. I played and enjoyed both P3 and P4 first then I played P2 afterwards. The game easily became arguably my favorite all time game along side Xenogears. Also P3/P4 are dungeon crawling too.

Anyway TC you have nothing to worry about. The only games that are connected are P1, P2:IS, and P2:EP. P3 and P4 are loosely connected. The only game with any direct connection to P4 is P4A.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#61337w334b00Posted 6/16/2012 5:03:51 PM
No. You'll just miss a few references in Persona 4. IE: A teacher mentions her brother who's "An arrogant man who always wore a Samurai's helmet" Which is a teacher from P3 who is agreeably an arrogant man.