First time thinking about picking up a Persona game, need a little bit of advice

#1PandaRajaPosted 7/4/2012 7:05:50 PM
The Persona series has always interested me, but I have never had a chance to play them. I just bought a vita today and they told me that persona 4 was coming out for the system and I'm interested in getting it, however I noticed that Persona 1-3 is in the playstation store. Will I need to play through them all to understand the story of 4 or do they only make casual references? If there isn't a huge connection between the games I may pick up the 4th first since it seems really interesting, but if they are connected I'll start with the first
#2DynamicJumpIuffPosted 7/4/2012 7:08:31 PM
They only make minor references to the others. They're not connected by plot.

Don't worry about it.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#3LimitedStoryPosted 7/4/2012 7:28:09 PM
Gameplay significantly changes between 2 and 3, just as a warning. I prefer the gameplay of 3 and 4. I heard good things about the story in 2 but the gameplay was kinda boring for me and I never finished it. Never played Persona 1.
#4PandaRaja(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 8:01:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll start with 4 first since I'm most excited about that one
#5ZEXEPosted 7/4/2012 8:24:13 PM
the first 2 Persona games have a formation style battle system while 3 and 4 have a more traditional battle system
---
"well, if there's one thing Ive learned in all my years of internet, it's that people...well people arent smart"-Lost7th
#6harimackenziePosted 7/4/2012 10:26:38 PM
p3p is quite interesting,and since right now is atlus sale on psn,consider getting it,and there is few connection between p3 and p4,when you play p4 later on,it will give you some nostalgic feeling,(i guess)
#7Fourth_BonkuraPosted 7/5/2012 6:07:58 AM
^ Yeah, I was thinking you might try picking up P3P on the PSN since P4G won't be out until October 30 (is that still the release date?)
---
Nooooo, I'm fish
*cook myself* -Leo4999
#8PandaRaja(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 4:24:39 PM
I planned on saving money to pick up Ragnarok Odyssey so that is why I had to choose which Persona game to pick up
#9CrazyMonkeyfishPosted 7/5/2012 5:02:34 PM
The first Persona game - Revelations - I feel you can safely skip. It has some cool moments, and was probably quite revolutionary in a lot of ways when it was first released, but it feels awkward now, and the whole '3D grid maze' thing is archaic (I'm looking at you, Strange Journey!).

However, Persona 2: Innocent Sin is an excellent game. True, it doesn't tie into Persona 3 or 4 (it actually ties strongly to the first Persona), and true it plays in a very different style to P3 and P4 - nevertheless, it's a worthy purchase. The story is both excellent and bizarre (and I mean *really* bizaare), and the characters are entertaining. There's also a lot of dialogue - practically every major even can change all the dialogue with the various npcs.

So, yeah.... get Persona 2 :) Plus, if you play it, you get to snicker to yourself at the start of Persona 3 when the schoolgirls are talking outside the school gates the first time you attend class :)
#10OckmanPosted 7/8/2012 12:31:57 AM
One thing I feel is worth mentioning is Persona 4 is in a league of it's own I think. First Persona game I played was Persona 3 on the PS2, and for the life of me I could not get into it when I first played it.

When Persona 4 was announced I had zero interest in it because I didn't care for Persona 3. For one reason or another, I decided to give Persona 4 a try, and it went on to become one of my favorite games ever. Beaten it twice, and very much looking forward to the Vita version.

I went back to play, and did eventually finish Persona 3 because I thought maybe I had judged it unfairly at first. Even after playing through, I still don't like it even half as much as Persona 4. I don't even know if I would say I like Persona 3 at all. They're similar games, but also very different. I just think P4 has a better story, better dungeons, better combat, more interesting social links. It does everything P3 did, just a lot better.

I have played some of Persona 1 on the PSP, and while it is a more dated RPG, I did find it fun. I still haven't beaten it though, but would like to go back to it someday.

Anyway, my point is that if you plan on playing any of the other Persona games, and you find yourself not liking them much, don't let that discourage you from playing Persona 4. Like I already said, it's in a league of it's own, and with the exception of some minor references, it's not required to play any of the previous games to enjoy P4.
---
PSN: Ockman XBOX LIVE: I ockman I