P4G: Social Link Mechanics Improvement

#1GamingPandasPosted 7/23/2012 3:05:45 AM
This is quoted from IGN's Persona 4 review:

"Similar to the previous Persona games, the focus on social interaction and stat building mechanics of the main character has remained from Persona 3 and will feel familiar to those who have played that game. However, these mechanics have been refined and expanded in Persona 4, creating a deeper and more involving experience as you navigate the P4 relationships."

How has the social link mechanics been "refined and expanded" in Persona 4 or P4G compared to Persona 3?
#2Sakura_RailgunPosted 7/23/2012 3:32:21 AM
GamingPandas posted...
This is quoted from IGN's Persona 4 review:

"Similar to the previous Persona games, the focus on social interaction and stat building mechanics of the main character has remained from Persona 3 and will feel familiar to those who have played that game. However, these mechanics have been refined and expanded in Persona 4, creating a deeper and more involving experience as you navigate the P4 relationships."

How has the social link mechanics been "refined and expanded" in Persona 4 or P4G compared to Persona 3?

You can date multiple girls with no repercussions. Maybe that's what they mean. Structurally, they are essentially the same, while the content of the social links themselves are much better. And you have social links for all part members, whilst in original P3 I think there were only social links for the girl party members.
#3GamingPandas(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 3:41:12 AM
So the social links in P4G have more depth and are more interesting in general compared to Persona 3's social links?
#4Sakura_RailgunPosted 7/23/2012 3:46:26 AM
GamingPandas posted...
So the social links in P4G have more depth and are more interesting in general compared to Persona 3's social links?

In my opinion, yea. I can't quite remember all of the ones in P3, but the stuff like the MMO social link, and that kid that had the hots for some teacher, were kind of boring to me. P4G expands even further, with the night time events with social links, that kind of make you feel more like you are friends with these people.
#5GamingPandas(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 3:48:27 AM
Sakura_Railgun posted...
GamingPandas posted...

In my opinion, yea. I can't quite remember all of the ones in P3, but the stuff like the MMO social link, and that kid that had the hots for some teacher, were kind of boring to me. P4G expands even further, with the night time events with social links, that kind of make you feel more like you are friends with these people.

LOL yea the MMO social link was like... errr... nice! Its nice to see your replies Railgun! Gave me lots of more motivation to plough through college courses while waiting for P4G to come out!

Yea P3's social links were a bit too bland and its not very involving... I just hope P4's SLinks are as good as you say!
#6hnd03Posted 7/23/2012 8:20:44 AM
You're also not bound by the calendar as much, so you don't have to worry about planning dates and then suddenly realize that you ended up scheduling to meet everyone on the same day.

On a similar note, you can choose to stay in the friend zone, rather than being forced to two time everyone.
#71337w334b00Posted 7/23/2012 11:26:26 AM
P4G is where the only really NOTICEABLE improvement is since you can hangout at night to get money, random support/health items, (social)stat bonuses and just helps progress the social link faster.
#8nouseravailablePosted 7/23/2012 1:25:21 PM
GamingPandas posted...

My guess:
You can socialize with everyone form the group and, by doing so, their performance in battle will be enhanced.
There is a random factor that affects social link ranks wich add some sort of "chaotic factor" into the equation (this is actualy annoying).
You can become either lover or friend of the girls.

Idk, what i liked about p4 social links is that a few were related with the case like Hanged-Man, Empress, Hierophant, and Justice. In the end, at least those, dont have that appendix feel.
---
Vai Corinthians! Porra!!!!!!
#9DarkBahamutPosted 7/24/2012 2:47:35 AM
P4G actually give party member progression during link, even number gives them new skill, odds give them battle effect that was on vanilla.

Kinda hilarious when you realize that with S.Link progression, Kanji could learn Charge faster than Chie...which would probably happen on Risky mode if you're not grinding too much
---
Long time ago, I met someone. It probably lasted no longer than a second. However, I could remember that sight clearly, even if I may fall to hell. - Archer