I think all the hatred of Yosuke's homophobia goes a little too far.

#21Bronze_StuffPosted 8/8/2012 3:24:17 PM
thefinal7 posted...
ITT: Everyone is a saint and believes that all teenagers should be as well.

Seriously? Yosuke was acting like almost every other teenager in his place. I probably would have reacted the same way as he did at his age. And then we grow up.

... No. Everyone isn't a saint.

No he isn't. People are different. Just because you would have acted like a jerk doesn't mean that everyone else does.

"lol teenager" is quite literally the worst defense. Now if you said that his good qualities outweigh his bad ones? That would be an argument. But it's almost like you guys are like "well it doesn't matter if he does something wrong." Are people not free to dislike characters for personality traits they don't like...?
---
Jimbo.
#22pandacakezPosted 8/8/2012 3:42:40 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
pandacakez posted...
Yosuke's a immature teenager, not homophobic. Apparently, people just don't know the difference. Besides playing through Kanji's story in Arena confirms that he doesn't patronize or tease him about that at all anymore, even if he is scared of what his insult name implied. People also forget that Shadow Kanji blatantly hit on him and he didn't even know Kanji enough prior to know what could be true about him or not - only that he was a thug who beat up an entire biker gang.

It's still immature, but don't act like it's not the slightest justifiable. Doesn't help that it's usually played for laughs too.

It's not really justifiable to make fun of someone for something unless they are having fun with you doing so. Come on. I mean seriously, it's fine if you like him, but don't justify things like that.

When was he ever making fun? He expressed concern in sleeping in the same tent as him about a good week after finishing his dungeon. It's immature, because yea, even if Kanji was gay it's not cool to assume he'd touch you in your sleep, but given the lack of anything else Yosuke knew about him - it's still slightly justifiable. It's ignorance; he didn't know Kanji, only that he's rough, beat up an entire gang of bikers and apparently created this big gay shadow.

What other time does Yosuke ever bring it up to make fun of him? I don't remember anything else. In the Cultural Festival, Kanji even mentions that Yosuke once told him there was 'all different kinds of love' or something along those lines.

I like Yosuke as much as the other members, sure, but I acknowledge his faults. Being an butthole is one of them, but saying that he does it with spiteful intent means that you honestly missed something.
#23hnd03Posted 8/8/2012 3:51:22 PM
After Teddie's reveal, Yosuke makes a jab at Kanji.

Yosuke: I'm just wondering if he's your type

Kanji: Oh I get it. What you're trying to say is 'Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?'"
#24Bronze_StuffPosted 8/8/2012 3:59:06 PM
When was he ever making fun? He expressed concern in sleeping in the same tent as him about a good week after finishing his dungeon. It's immature, because yea, even if Kanji was gay it's not cool to assume he'd touch you in your sleep, but given the lack of anything else Yosuke knew about him - it's still slightly justifiable. It's ignorance; he didn't know Kanji, only that he's rough, beat up an entire gang of bikers and apparently created this big gay shadow.

"Yosuke: Is he cute...? What do you think, Kanji?
Kanji: Huh? What're you asking me for?
Yosuke: Well, I was just wondering if he was your type?
Kanji: Ohhh... I get it. What you're really asking is "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?""

Just one example of this. Is that really... Necessary?

What other time does Yosuke ever bring it up to make fun of him? I don't remember anything else. In the Cultural Festival, Kanji even mentions that Yosuke once told him there was 'all different kinds of love' or something along those lines.

Yeah. And...?

I like Yosuke as much as the other members, sure, but I acknowledge his faults. Being an butthole is one of them, but saying that he does it with spiteful intent means that you honestly missed something.

I didn't say he did or didn't. All I said is that he's immature. Now you're trying to change what you were saying earlier. I never interjected if it was spiteful or not.
---
Jimbo.
#25pandacakezPosted 8/8/2012 4:20:01 PM
"Yosuke: Is he cute...? What do you think, Kanji?
Kanji: Huh? What're you asking me for?
Yosuke: Well, I was just wondering if he was your type?
Kanji: Ohhh... I get it. What you're really asking is "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?""

Just one example of this. Is that really... Necessary?

Was it necessary? Nope. Was it immature? Sure. But was it intentionally spiteful? Not really. That's my point entirely.

Yeah. And...?
I didn't really mean to elaborate on it (as I forgot what else happened there) , just that it's another point that suggests that they had patched things up and once again, Yosuke's intentions were probably not in the wrong place.

I didn't say he did or didn't. All I said is that he's immature. Now you're trying to change what you were saying earlier. I never interjected if it was spiteful or not.

When did I ever even imply that I thought you did? My original post wasn't referring to anyone else's. I just stated the facts. This thread is about how people overreact to Yosuke's homophobia. I said he's immature, something everyone seems to agree on. But I also said that he was not intentionally spiteful, which changes things.

This is just a question. Isn't the problem with Yosuke's remarks the fact that SOME people think he does it just to be a general a**face? I'd think so. Because otherwise, if he didn't have the intention to be mean - it would just lead back to Yosuke being a complete idiot who is terrible with words.

That's exactly who Yosuke is. "Disappointment from the moment he opens his mouth".

Thus, my reason for agreeing that people overreact towards Yosuke's 'homophobia'.
#26thefinal7Posted 8/8/2012 4:23:13 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
thefinal7 posted...
ITT: Everyone is a saint and believes that all teenagers should be as well.

Seriously? Yosuke was acting like almost every other teenager in his place. I probably would have reacted the same way as he did at his age. And then we grow up.

... No. Everyone isn't a saint.

No he isn't. People are different. Just because you would have acted like a jerk doesn't mean that everyone else does.

"lol teenager" is quite literally the worst defense. Now if you said that his good qualities outweigh his bad ones? That would be an argument. But it's almost like you guys are like "well it doesn't matter if he does something wrong." Are people not free to dislike characters for personality traits they don't like...?

Thank you for reiterating the point I made in my first post. That was exactly what I said in the first sentence while being snarky. That "apparently everyone is a saint in this thread and so should Yosuke" because they expect Yosuke or everyone at that age to just be like "oh okay, Kanji, its cool."

Also, not anywhere in my statement did I say you couldn't not like him. What my statement did say was that not everyone is accepting or not a jerk when it comes to this kind of thing when you're a teenager (I would know from experience and because its not widely accepted in high school or hell, even college most of the time as we saw in September of 2010 in America). I get that you don't like Yosuke for that, and that's fine, but he has not fully matured yet and not everyone is as accepting as you obviously were at Yosuke's age.
#27Bronze_StuffPosted 8/8/2012 4:26:06 PM
Then what are you guys even try to discuss at this point...? If we all agree that people are free to like or not like things, then what's the problem? Good grief.
---
Jimbo.
#28SunladisPosted 8/9/2012 6:29:25 AM(edited)
I wouldn't really call Yosuke homophobic as much as he is still weirded out by something 'unusual'. Not really different from someone asking a color-blind person 'Hey, what color is this thing??'

It's not like he and Kanji are on bad terms because of his 'homophobia' anyway.
---
The average intelligence of a fandom is inversely proportional to its size.
#29Lionheart08Posted 8/9/2012 8:33:04 AM
I forgot that one time that Yosuke didn't want to sleep in a tent with Kanji was definitive proof that he hates the gays.
---
I'm a genius! Geniuses don't NEED medication!
#30natchu96Posted 8/9/2012 8:56:01 AM
Lionheart08 posted...
I forgot that one time that Yosuke didn't want to sleep in a tent with Kanji was definitive proof that he hates the gays.

In the anime, even Yu says "Sleeping next to you takes Courage."
Kanji: What?!? But, sempai, I thought you said you've accepted me!
Yu(with a straight face): Not at night.

Well, Animation Yu is kind of a troll, but at least that counts for something. Yosuke isn't the only one.

(both anime counterparts also summoned their personas and tried to kill shadow kanji on sight. I guess they can't take it.)
---
Official Lopunny of the Black 2 Boar . . . wait, how did THAT happen?!?