Meanings behind the Arcana?

#1Rundy77Posted 11/27/2012 12:07:47 AM
Though this is getting a bit in-depth, is there real meanings behind the Arcana, like philosophical meanings or something? I always thought so. I.E I was just thinking of the kinds of people that hold the social link Arcana, and comparing them in P3 and P4 and can see some similarities, SOME, not sure about all.

Don't remember his name but the guy in P3 who held the Emperor Arcana really did seem like it fit him,(he was the head of one of clubs, cant remember) it seemed as if he just wanted things in order, was ruley, also kind of strict and stuff, but that's what a Emperor should be like. Though, cant see how I can relate Kanji to this just yet.

And the guy you had to pay to rank up the Devil social link, (Tanaka in P4(Physical look)) surely seemed Devilish and I can surely pull some similarities from him with the Cougar nurse in this.

But was just wondering if anyone else felt/thought this way?
#2heyitsthatguy11Posted 11/27/2012 12:10:55 AM
Yes. Devil is greed IIRC. Cant remember Emperor. Look it up, Arcanas have meanings. Fool is Naivete, Lovers is understanding one another etc.
---
Square Enix, create a sequel to TWEWY. You have 3 years. Fail and face erasure. - The Fanbase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjf48W3Dg98
#3SilverwyrmPosted 11/27/2012 12:13:02 AM
Rather than simply thinking "emperor means he acts like one" look up the actual meanings of the arcana cards and what they signify. Then look for this in the characters mannerism or issues within their link.
#4Rundy77(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 12:15:07 AM
heyitsthatguy11 posted...
Yes. Devil is greed IIRC. Cant remember Emperor. Look it up, Arcanas have meanings. Fool is Naivete, Lovers is understanding one another etc.

Ah, does this go for the Persona classified in Arcana too?
If that is the case I don't see why Izanagi would be in Fool.
He was a awesome God in Japanese mythology???
#5heyitsthatguy11Posted 11/27/2012 12:17:59 AM
Rundy77 posted...
heyitsthatguy11 posted...

Ah, does this go for the Persona classified in Arcana too?

... Fool is more than just Fool/Naive... it's about new beginnings, and a Journey etc.
---
Square Enix, create a sequel to TWEWY. You have 3 years. Fail and face erasure. - The Fanbase
#6Zell1226Posted 11/27/2012 12:18:05 AM
Rundy77 posted...

Listen to Mr. Edogawa's lecture when you travel to Tatsumi Port Island. The legend behind Izanagi/Izanami states pretty clearly how Izanagi was a fool.
---
www.youtube.com/user/ZellDincht1226 - Gameplay videos!
www.twitch.tv/zelldincht1226 - Live Streams! Almost every day! Please follow!
#7heyitsthatguy11Posted 11/27/2012 12:19:56 AM
http://www.free-tarot-reading.net/meanings/major_arcanum/MA-0.php
---
#8Paradox_KnightPosted 11/27/2012 12:21:54 AM
The Arcanas felt more properly integrated in Persona 3 if you ask me.

The MC was not just a Fool card but also a Death card, and you could tell quite well that he fulfilled that role due to all the changes he created in peoples lives (again, look up the actual meaning behind the Arcana)

Also, the final boss of Persona 3 had a very lengthy speech about the path of the Arcana, there was also a small lesson about the story behind the Arcanas give by one of the teachers.

Though my favorite depiction of the inner workings of the Arcanas still remains the original Persona game and subsequent Persona 2.

Every character could change Persona, Persona was detailed as the power of the self, of the other self, or rather a facet of your self that comes forth to protect yourself. Much like how you behave differently towards certain people or situations in real life I'd say. As such, each character could change but only to certain Arcanas, of which some they had strong affiliations with and others weak affiliations or just complete incompatibility. This meant that the Arcane compatibility added that layer of complexity and detailed more of their personalities. And of course, if memory serves me well. Fool cards were available for everyone to equip.
---
Made on 18/03/2012 due to recent games
We need a reclassification: DLC is Downloadable Content. DUK is Downloadable Unlock Key for locked on disc content.
#9Rundy77(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 12:36:43 AM
Ah I actually just ran into that part.
It kinda makes me wonder, I thought Izanagi was alot.... cooler than that, it makes me wonder why they picked him for the MC Persona if he was such a derp.

Thanks for the sources by the way.

And I never played through even most of P3 but I do remember that kid that said he was always with you, and was the Death social link, I always knew that didn't sound good, you never want to think Death is following you around everywhere... lol

I can also see the universality behind the Fool now, Id reckon most people are Fool than, as like the the other guy posted, not JUST naivety, it's... the starting point/jack of all trades really.
#10Paradox_KnightPosted 11/27/2012 12:55:35 AM
Death in terms of the Arcanas is not exactly a bad thing.

Death, the Arcana, is change. If we look at the progression of the Arcanas as the story of a human being. Death is that transition from one period to the next. Say for example a kid who stops being a kid and becomes a teenager or a teen who becomes an adult. A person whose life alters meets change and thus the Arcana of Death.

Tower is the more catastrophic one, though it still has some positive meaning behind it.

That said, a reverse Death means a lack of change, like something being stale.
---
Made on 18/03/2012 due to recent games
We need a reclassification: DLC is Downloadable Content. DUK is Downloadable Unlock Key for locked on disc content.