Meanings behind the Arcana?

#11BunnywunnyPosted 11/26/2012 11:56:45 PM
0 Fool- basically its like "anything and nothing at the same time" like endless possibilities
1 magician- pursuit of scholarly knowledge
2 priestess- wisdom and serenity
3 empress- matriarch, fertility, sexuality
4 emperor- patriarch, authority, leadership
5 hierophant- knowledge, discipline, spiritual leadership
6 lovers- romance, companionship, desire
7 chariot- honor, conquest, self discipline
8 strength- self control, moderation, composure
9 hermit- solitude, introspection, guidance
10 wheel of fortune- opportunity, destiny, fate, change
11 justice- impartiality, objectiveness, criticism, logic
12 hanged man- sacrifice, passiveness, giving up
13 death- ending, transitioning, loss, sadness
14 temperance- balance, health, harmony
15 devil- materialism, obsession, temptation
16 tower- chaos, crisis, ruin
17 star- optimism, joy, trust
18 moon- deception, illusion, fantasy
19 sun- vitality, happiness, expansion
20 judgement- rebirth, absolution, salvation
21 world- fulfillment, success, wholeness

there's also a path form that i don't remember all of but it starts like
fool starts as nothing
gains intelligence and feels powerful
gains wisdom and learns the err of his ways
etc etc
---
"Me fail English? that's unpossible"
-Ralph Wiggum
#12Paradox_KnightPosted 11/26/2012 11:58:32 PM
And we haven't even touched on the Minor Arcanas, and even with those included that's not even the end of all the possibilities with Tarot Cards.

But I don't know much about it, just some basic stuff.

By the way, nice numerical listing up there.
---
Made on 18/03/2012 due to recent games
We need a reclassification: DLC is Downloadable Content. DUK is Downloadable Unlock Key for locked on disc content.
#13natchu96Posted 11/27/2012 12:31:33 AM
Rundy77 posted...
Ah I actually just ran into that part.
It kinda makes me wonder, I thought Izanagi was alot.... cooler than that, it makes me wonder why they picked him for the MC Persona if he was such a derp.

Thanks for the sources by the way.

And I never played through even most of P3 but I do remember that kid that said he was always with you, and was the Death social link, I always knew that didn't sound good, you never want to think Death is following you around everywhere... lol

I can also see the universality behind the Fool now, Id reckon most people are Fool than, as like the the other guy posted, not JUST naivety, it's... the starting point/jack of all trades really.

Most gods in myth are kind of derp, imo.
---
Official Lopunny of the Black 2 Boar . . . wait, how did THAT happen?!?
#14Rundy77(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 1:29:24 AM
Paradox_Knight posted...
Death in terms of the Arcanas is not exactly a bad thing.

Death, the Arcana, is change. If we look at the progression of the Arcanas as the story of a human being. Death is that transition from one period to the next. Say for example a kid who stops being a kid and becomes a teenager or a teen who becomes an adult. A person whose life alters meets change and thus the Arcana of Death.

Tower is the more catastrophic one, though it still has some positive meaning behind it.

That said, a reverse Death means a lack of change, like something being stale.

Actually, regarding the Tower social link in P4, I don't get why that kid is Tower, it is said that Tower is your own demise due to arrogance and other stuff, the kid you tutor just seems like a poor/lonely kid? Though he sounds arrogant, he really is only stating facts about how teachers only care about test scores etc. The Monk in P3 was way more qualified to be Tower than the kid.
#15demonsword765Posted 11/27/2012 1:48:24 AM
Paradox_Knight posted...
Death in terms of the Arcanas is not exactly a bad thing.

Death, the Arcana, is change. If we look at the progression of the Arcanas as the story of a human being. Death is that transition from one period to the next. Say for example a kid who stops being a kid and becomes a teenager or a teen who becomes an adult. A person whose life alters meets change and thus the Arcana of Death.

Tower is the more catastrophic one, though it still has some positive meaning behind it.

That said, a reverse Death means a lack of change, like something being stale.

Actually, regarding the Tower social link in P4, I don't get why that kid is Tower, it is said that Tower is your own demise due to arrogance and other stuff, the kid you tutor just seems like a poor/lonely kid? Though he sounds arrogant, he really is only stating facts about how teachers only care about test scores etc. The Monk in P3 was way more qualified to be Tower than the kid.

http://www.learntarot.com/maj16.htm

Not really in the mood to explain it all.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#16teffyPosted 11/27/2012 2:06:46 AM(edited)
The Tower is destruction resulting from one's own actions. In P4 the tutoring kid was alone because of his arrogance.

It's interesting to note that the P3 main character had the Death arcanaas well as Fool, and each of his links resulted in a significant change in the person he touched, while P4 does not, and so many of his links do not undergo this change, but rather reach the end of the "journey" they embarked on at the start of their link.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#17thompsontalker7Posted 11/27/2012 7:10:26 AM
From Mr. Edogawa in Persona 3:

"The first card, numbered 0, is The Fool. It represents the beginning and suggests infinite possibilities.
The next card, The Magician, represents action and initiative... but also immaturity.
The Priestess represents contemplation and inner knowledge.
The Empress represents motherhood and the life it brings forth.
The Emperor is an opposing card. It represents fathering and relates to leadership and decision-making skills.
The Hierophant represents formality and knowledge, and stands for religion.
The Lovers card represents choice. Here, the individual's consciousness has finally surfaced.
The Chariot represents victory for the individual, but only a momentary one.
Justice represents knowledge of what is right, and what is wrong.
The Hermit represents the individual's search for answers by looking inward, deep inside his heart.
Fortune represents fate, and the opportunities that come with it.
Strength represents both passion and self-control. It is depicted as power with reason.
The Hanged Man reflects the individual's inability to take action.
Spiritual death awaits the individual with the 13th card, which is aptly named Death. Death is considered a transitional card... The old ends, and the new begins.
Now, let's continue along the path, following the transition.
Temperance is the balancing of opposites. Opening his eyes to the world allows the individual to grow...
And as The Devil represents, he then faces temptation...
At The Tower, his values collapse on him. It seems as if he no longer has anything to believe in, but...
...he then finds a glimmer of hope, represented by The Star, and he is suffused with a serene calm.
This bliss makes him vulnerable to the illusions of The Moon. Fears arise, and he follows the dim path in his heart with trepidation...
But he is rewarded with a bright future, represented by The Sun, which signifies true achievement.
Judgement awaits the individual at the end of his journey, as he looks back on the path he has traveled.
The final card is The World, which represents the individual's full awareness of his place in the world."
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. Start:11/22/08
"you being a sad little social misfit weirdo is a fantasy of mine lol"- thedan11
#18terran3999999Posted 11/27/2012 4:58:29 PM
Why would you think the Arcana have no meaning? O_o

Tarot reading has been around for at least 200 years I think and to this day there are still people who believe in it.
In regards to Emperor, wasn't one of its aspect was being a protector of sorts? Considering how much Kanji loves his mother and is willing to go out of his way, say to even kick a bunch of bikers' asses just so she can sleep at night, fits him pretty well.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#19demonsword765Posted 11/27/2012 5:05:15 PM
There's also the need to control one's own environment, although there can be a sense that you're trying too hard to do so; there's just never a situation where aspects of life are controllable. In Kanji's case, it's his desire to be portrayed as manly, or rather what it takes to be a man, as opposed to be a lover of the more delicate aspects of life (sewing and related crafts).

It's the desire to do things the way you want to without succumbing to public opinion.

Keep in mind that is just one interpretation. Tarot is the kind of stuff that can have a limitless pool of interpretations.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#20VakuPosted 11/27/2012 9:25:42 PM
The path of the tarot is a pretty common theme in P3/P4 as well, and seems to get neglected in the telling.
But basically, each Social Link is at a different stage in the Fool's Journey, which is the path of the tarot.

The Fool starts off his journey with nothing but a few items in his sack and hope, he barely even knows to watch where he's going but he's determined to achieve his unnamed(unknown?) goals.

He meets the magician, who amazes him with his loud words and theatrics. He asks the Magician, "How can I be like you?" The Magician takes the fools sack and reveals the pentacle, sword, wand, and cup within, and says, "all the tools you need are with you, you only need to find the path that is meant for you."

He next meets the priestess, who, unlike the Magician, is calm and serene. The Fool shows her his tools, explaining what the Magician said, but says that there is too much choice, and that he doesn't know how to use them. The Priestess explains what each of the tools signify, and as the Fool leaves, she says to him softly, "We will meet again."

He meets next with the Empress, and says "I have the tools and knowledge needed to shape my future, but I don't know how to make my future a reality." The Empress, pregnant with child reflects on this and says, "Like a child, your future will need nurturing and patience."

He then asks the Emperor how to use all of these things, the Emperor waves a hand over his kingdom, "It is fine to dream, but might, law and order are needed to achieve greatness." The Fool leaves, prepared to lead.

The Fool was all but prepared when fear gripped him, "But what if I lose everything I have?" he thought. He sought the council of the Hierophant, who said, "There are two ways to abate your fears. Either give up all that you fear losing, or hold on to the knowledge of what you will still have after everything is gone."
"But what of my friends? If I lose all, surely I will lose them, too!"
"Even if you lose your friends, your traditions and customs will survive, if you make them."
That night, the Fool met with his friends, and the gathered together to make customs and traditions to last.

(Lovers) The Fool finally set to travel, as he did he came to a fork in the road, he intended to follow the easier path with a flowering tree beside it, however the other road had a young woman sitting beneath one of the trees. He spoke to her and the two felt as soul mates. He decided to follow the road she traveled, even though it would prove more difficult.

The Fool felt stuck, it felt like, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't progress. He stopped a passing Charioteer for advice. "First, arm yourself," the Chariot began, "then focus on your goal and where you want to go, what you want to do. Your beasts move forward, but you control the direction."
"But what if someone stands in your way?" The Fool asks.
"You cut them down. You must be sure of your goal and convinced of your cause." Before they parted, the Chariot stopped him once more, "And remember, victory isn't the end, its merely the beginning."
(continued)
---
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. The only future peace has to offer is war.