I wish that they hadn't released "official" names of the Protag.

#41SlaysmePosted 11/27/2012 5:57:04 PM
Raistlin Majere .
Some times, it's my own name, But not in SMT games.
I also often use Rolande deschain, or a variant of. When given the ability to make a party, there's 5-6 friends who's name I use.
Female usually gets the wife's name, or Ferucia McNaugh.
---
Your television viewing may be a negative influence on your life. It may lie to you. Watch out! Don't believe the robots. Eat well
5412-9925-5942. Psn-slaysme
#42Dark_Assassain3Posted 11/27/2012 5:59:56 PM
Before the "official" names came out i would use my own. But when Souji seta came out, i would use a combination of mine and the "canon" name. Same with P3.
#43demonsword765Posted 11/27/2012 6:11:23 PM
I've seen a lot of Yus but bot a lot of Yuus. I am finding a lot more of other names though.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#44halomastah1337Posted 11/27/2012 6:25:58 PM
I like the name, why I shouldn't use it?
---
GT: REVampedBelmont
PSN: TridentMX
#45OinotnaaaPosted 11/27/2012 6:31:19 PM
shingaiden posted...
For me it's not about being "creative". I never put myself in the character's shoes. I prefer to play him as the character he's "supposed" to be. Making him someone else doesn't feel right.

Amen.
#46andhrosPosted 11/27/2012 6:36:27 PM
Doesn't Marie state in the beginning that there are millions(Atlus dreams big) of other yous out there. I always thought of this as a Multiverse setting anyway. Besides if you name him Yu for canon sake wouldn't you need to play him as Yu. Generic harem anime protag nice guy who never gets the girl, or is oblivious to all the girls he got.
#47HollowNinjaPosted 11/27/2012 7:02:03 PM
For me it's not about being "creative". I never put myself in the character's shoes. I prefer to play him as the character he's "supposed" to be. Making him someone else doesn't feel right.

For me it was the opposite. The strength of video games as a narrative medium is that they really allow the players to immerse themselves in the role of the protagonist. Persona 3 and 4 were particularly good at this.

Having a "canon" name for the protagonist feels like a betrayal. The protagonist of Persona 4 was me, not some "Souji Seta" or "Yu Narukami". He wasn't a character, he was merely an avatar representing me in the game.

Allowing the protagonist to be someone other than me doesn't sit right.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja
Official Thor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#48xelloossPosted 11/27/2012 7:10:34 PM
Oinotnaaa posted...
shingaiden posted...

Amen.

I agree. If they have an official/cannon name, I will use it. I actually do not like it quite as much when there is not an official name...

Though, other than this game, for the other games in the SMT meta-series, I have always used John Connor. I think I had just watched one of the Terminator movies right before, and it has just stuck for me since...

And the Dragon Warrior/Quest games..... I just use Hero.....
#49LuIzalotPosted 11/27/2012 7:29:53 PM
HollowNinja posted...

For me it was the opposite. The strength of video games as a narrative medium is that they really allow the players to immerse themselves in the role of the protagonist. Persona 3 and 4 were particularly good at this.

Having a "canon" name for the protagonist feels like a betrayal. The protagonist of Persona 4 was me, not some "Souji Seta" or "Yu Narukami". He wasn't a character, he was merely an avatar representing me in the game.

Allowing the protagonist to be someone other than me doesn't sit right.

He still is an avatar representing you. The only difference is that he has a default name when it comes to media that woud require one (Arena and the Anime). And even then, the Anime isn't canon and they intentionally made the Protagonist's relationships with the girls extremely ambigous in Arena as to not invalidate anyone's interpretation on the character.

Hell, they even named him "Hero" in the intro movie. Atlus isn't shoving the name down our throats. They respect everyone's interpretation of the protagonist. And "Yu Narukami" is just that. Another interpretation of the avatar.