the voice acting, I can't take the American accents :(

#121Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/2/2012 6:15:24 PM
LittleBraver posted...
I don't blame this person who posted this topic. Normally if you watch the Anime first, of course you going to like the JP voice over the NA. For me I do prefer the JP voice but at the same time NA voice is not that bad that you can't play through it. Suck it up people, study Japanese like I am and buy yourself the JP version.

Huh? I was with you till the "suck it up?" part. I don't care what your preference is, that's fine. I watch both subbed and dubbed anime.

What I care about is that his ARGUMENT to back up his preference is the definition of a double standard. He has one standard for Japanese voice tracks using English words and a completely different standard for English voice tracks using Japanese words or honorifics.

He is basically implying one is okay to butcher the other (Japanese butchering English) but the other is not (English butchering Japanese). He seems to have no issue with the Japanese dubs using poorly pronounced English words but gets on the English dub for pronouncing Japanese words wrong.
#122SparNar607Posted 12/2/2012 6:21:55 PM
Now that I think about it ..did the TC ever actually say he didn't mind if JP actors flubber Gratuitous English? I get implied statements but implied does not mean he said. Sometimes people draw their own (incorrect)implications from statements.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#123Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/2/2012 6:24:18 PM
SparNar607 posted...
Now that I think about it ..did the TC ever actually say he didn't mind if JP actors flubber Gratuitous English? I get implied statements but implied does not mean he said. Sometimes people draw their own (incorrect)implications from statements.

If he can't stand when English speakers do it, then he shouldn't accept when Japanese do it. If he watches the Japanese dubs over English ones, then he is obviously more tolerant of the Japanese butchering of English even if he doesn't "completely" agree with it.
#124Doru_DinnPosted 12/2/2012 6:27:06 PM
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
I can say without a doubt it is not racist. It is however biased.

He seems perfectly fine with the Japanese dub of the anime/game, which pronounces certain English words incorrectly, but does not like the English dub because it pronounces certain Japanese words incorrectly. Does NO one see the flaw, double standard, or bias in this logic?

By the actual definition it is. It's not an issue, but would you like to look it up, or do I have to find a definition? :)
---
You've got to admit that there's a certain inherent epicness in the Hero running around looking like Hobo Link.
- Guruda on Dragon Quest VII
#125LittleBraverPosted 12/2/2012 6:29:08 PM
LittleBraver posted...
I don't blame this person who posted this topic. Normally if you watch the Anime first, of course you going to like the JP voice over the NA. For me I do prefer the JP voice but at the same time NA voice is not that bad that you can't play through it. Suck it up people, study Japanese like I am and buy yourself the JP version.

Huh? I was with you till the "suck it up?" part. I don't care what your preference is, that's fine. I watch both subbed and dubbed anime.

What I care about is that his ARGUMENT to back up his preference is the definition of a double standard. He has one standard for Japanese voice tracks using English words and a completely different standard for English voice tracks using Japanese words or honorifics.

He is basically implying one is okay to butcher the other (Japanese butchering English) but the other is not (English butchering Japanese). He seems to have no issue with the Japanese dubs using poorly pronounced English words but gets on the English dub for pronouncing Japanese words wrong.

I have no problem with what he is saying. I wish this game would have dual audio but it's not like we can do anything about. Ask Atlus about it. English accent sometime can't said it right but that's natural right? Were talking NA voice actor, they are not train to speak Japanese before making this game. Same apply for the JP voice actor and some words or joke from Persona 4 just can't be translated.
#126ZephyriuumPosted 12/2/2012 6:31:26 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Voice acting is great.

First time you're gonna "hear" me say this: i prefer the english dub(in this game's case, also P3) **ck me right?

The only one i disliked is Chie, i want her old VA
---
Remember dearie, "All magic comes with a price"
#127Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/2/2012 6:33:15 PM
LittleBraver posted...
LittleBraver posted...

I have no problem with what he is saying. I wish this game would have dual audio but it's not like we can do anything about. Ask Atlus about it. English accent sometime can't said it right but that's natural right? Were talking NA voice actor, they are not train to speak Japanese before making this game. Same apply for the JP voice actor and some words or joke from Persona 4 just can't be translated.

If I'm understanding you right, yeah, that's all I'm saying. I don't agree that he expects English actors to be perfect while speaking Japanese words but implies it's okay when Japanese actors don't speak perfect English.

And yes, the simple solution is to include both tracks. Unfortunately, Atlus said there were some licensing issues.
#128Subro7Posted 12/2/2012 6:36:03 PM
Chicken453 posted...
Wow I can see i'm not welcome here. First topic in and this happens, just stated my opinion and you all jump down my throat like i'm not allowed and i should know better to think such things.

When i mentioned that i didn't like the voices i was talking about the accents, not that the voices are in English, but rather it was their horrible accents, like i said I'm not American and to my ears hearing them speak in such a way is something i don't particularly like.

This topic has just reminded me why I don't come to gamefaqs, why are you all so bitter?

For the person saying there were no words pronounced incorrectly, Ichijou Kou, is pronounced, Ichiju kou. That's just one example.

You just gotta deal. Not in a condescending way, but what can you do?

Anyway, as you can see, people are just tired of others who complain about the English dub.

Sure, words are oddly pronounced here and there (even in P3), but it's not really a big deal.

Of course, if you're going somewhere to complain, you'd be sure to expect some backlash.
#129SicianPosted 12/2/2012 6:36:34 PM
If you are classifying it; Americans make up the most diverse ethnicity, not a race.

I have misgivings on VAs on both sides, but since I spent the majority of my life in hte United States, I purchased the English version.
---
A signature is an expression. It is an expression of free will. You have no free will. Thanks for calling.
#130LittleBraverPosted 12/2/2012 6:38:50 PM
LittleBraver posted...
LittleBraver posted...

If I'm understanding you right, yeah, that's all I'm saying. I don't agree that he expects English actors to be perfect while speaking Japanese words but implies it's okay when Japanese actors don't speak perfect English.

And yes, the simple solution is to include both tracks. Unfortunately, Atlus said there were some licensing issues.

Cool, just wanna make myself clear.