the voice acting, I can't take the American accents :(

#131Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/2/2012 5:39:26 PM
Doru_Dinn posted...
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
I can say without a doubt it is not racist. It is however biased.

He seems perfectly fine with the Japanese dub of the anime/game, which pronounces certain English words incorrectly, but does not like the English dub because it pronounces certain Japanese words incorrectly. Does NO one see the flaw, double standard, or bias in this logic?

By the actual definition it is. It's not an issue, but would you like to look it up, or do I have to find a definition? :)

Better yet, I'll provide it myself right here from Merriam-Webster:

Racism:

1) "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

2) "racial prejudice or discrimination."

"Race" never enters into it. He is simply talking about accents, as in the way they pronounce Japanese words and honorifics. He is not attacking "race" he is attacking a language barrier, the inability for most English speakers (and "English speakers" is not a race) to pronounce Japanese words efficiently.

If it were a French, German, Chinese person speaking English while using something like "senpai" it would still bother him, so it has nothing to do with race.
#132megasoniczxxPosted 12/2/2012 5:39:54 PM
Chicken453 posted...
I first got into the persona 4 story by watching the anime I loves the voices for the characters. Now not being American all the mail voices of the characters sound exactly the same and just weak.

Like they pur no effort into differentiate the characters. Also they pronounciate words wrong.

Yousuke sounds too average.
Yukiko sounds no where as innocent or vulnerable as in the anime
Chie is ok I guess
Dojima sounds ok
Nanako doesn't sound like a child more like an adult pretending to be a child which is bad voice acting
Kanji again sounds too average
Teddie is probably the only voice I like just wish he said kuma~~ or something not that horrible rawwr

Love the game hate the voice acting byt? I'm grateful for atlus's effort in bringing this over!

All the american actors sound the same? For me this is kind of the complete opposite but then again though I really have never been to into japanese actors much since watching soo much naruto and one piece with JP and I like the JP voice actors but listening to the english ones, it makes me just wish all animes could be caught up to speed on the ones in japan so I can watch them in english cause I swear I've heard the same male/female voice like a 100 times in them and...sorry did I just go into a rant. Loong story short I like the english VA more than the JP sorry if it sounds a little mean or anything.
#133Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/2/2012 5:44:34 PM
megasoniczxx posted...
Chicken453 posted...
I first got into the persona 4 story by watching the anime I loves the voices for the characters. Now not being American all the mail voices of the characters sound exactly the same and just weak.

Like they pur no effort into differentiate the characters. Also they pronounciate words wrong.

Yousuke sounds too average.
Yukiko sounds no where as innocent or vulnerable as in the anime
Chie is ok I guess
Dojima sounds ok
Nanako doesn't sound like a child more like an adult pretending to be a child which is bad voice acting
Kanji again sounds too average
Teddie is probably the only voice I like just wish he said kuma~~ or something not that horrible rawwr

Love the game hate the voice acting byt? I'm grateful for atlus's effort in bringing this over!

All the american actors sound the same? For me this is kind of the complete opposite but then again though I really have never been to into japanese actors much since watching soo much naruto and one piece with JP and I like the JP voice actors but listening to the english ones, it makes me just wish all animes could be caught up to speed on the ones in japan so I can watch them in english cause I swear I've heard the same male/female voice like a 100 times in them and...sorry did I just go into a rant. Loong story short I like the english VA more than the JP sorry if it sounds a little mean or anything.

Both Japanese and English dubs only use a handful of actors. Because it's not their native language, many people who watch the subs can't determine that this character has the same voice as another while others are able to hear it but can't in the English dub.

I hear the same voices time and time again in both dubs. But I just listen very closely I guess because it's my thing (figuring out where I've heard that voice actor before).
#134michael_santosoPosted 12/2/2012 6:09:34 PM
termina_rzident posted...
If you gave every character drastically different accents, vocal ranges and speech patterns it would be the most jarringly inconsistent voice acting to ever exist within a single story.

Vanille in FF13? God I hate her (supposedly) Australian accent
---
I'm an excellent judge of character. I think you'll find my assessments to be right on the money. - Miranda Lawson
#135Trailblazer34Posted 12/2/2012 6:16:53 PM
every voice in this game is brilliant except for Chie and Mitsuo, but to each their own...
#136ZephyriuumPosted 12/2/2012 6:20:39 PM
michael_santoso posted...
If you gave every character drastically different accents, vocal ranges and speech patterns it would be the most jarringly inconsistent voice acting to ever exist within a single story.

Really? i love both Vanille and Fang's accent, both are my favorite characters, now i want to play it, but it's too late and i have to sleep
---
Remember dearie, "All magic comes with a price"
#137SharmHedgehogPosted 12/2/2012 7:08:55 PM
michael_santoso posted...

The VA, Georgia van Cuylenburg, is actually Australian, though.
---
R.I.P. fungivore, 2012-2012
#138Doru_DinnPosted 12/2/2012 7:35:48 PM
Doru_Dinn posted...
I can say without a doubt it is not racist. It is however biased.

He seems perfectly fine with the Japanese dub of the anime/game, which pronounces certain English words incorrectly, but does not like the English dub because it pronounces certain Japanese words incorrectly. Does NO one see the flaw, double standard, or bias in this logic?

By the actual definition it is. It's not an issue, but would you like to look it up, or do I have to find a definition? :)

Better yet, I'll provide it myself right here from Merriam-Webster:

Racism:

1) "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

2) "racial prejudice or discrimination."

"Race" never enters into it. He is simply talking about accents, as in the way they pronounce Japanese words and honorifics. He is not attacking "race" he is attacking a language barrier, the inability for most English speakers (and "English speakers" is not a race) to pronounce Japanese words efficiently.

If it were a French, German, Chinese person speaking English while using something like "senpai" it would still bother him, so it has nothing to do with race.

I was referring to when he referred to american accents as "terrible". It was perfect fuel. I normally don't do that rude internet thing, but honestly I was... Doing that rude internet thing.

Also from the definition of race:
5. any people united by common history,language,cultural traits,etc.: the Dutch race

You're welcome. I'm more than happy to cure ignorance any time. :)
---
You've got to admit that there's a certain inherent epicness in the Hero running around looking like Hobo Link.
- Guruda on Dragon Quest VII
#139MushushuPosted 12/3/2012 12:47:10 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...
Just answer this TC: Do you know JP? If you know okay its fine.

If you dont then your opinion is flawed and you are simply a Troll.

wich one?

Between the anime is garbage compared to the actual game, its not an opinion, its a fact that animes based on games are the worse of the bunch (Like the Sister Princess Anime....)

You cannot just segregate the reasons as to why people would prefer one language over the other into two subgroups. There are plenty of other reasons... Here are some:

1) The player is actively learning that language and is using the voice overs with text they are familiar in as a study aid.

2) The player may in fact know and understand a spoken language but cannot read its written language. I personally know many people like this and they hate it when they cannot pick Japanese voice overs...

3) The player simply prefers the phonetics and sound of one language over the other.

4) The player may prefer the voice actors and/or general voice acting over another language.

The TC is expressing his opinion. I personally find that the English voice overs (With the exception of Chie) to range from decent to good, but would appreciate the option of Japanese voice overs to be in there as well for those that choose to have them. More options isn't necessarily a bad thing; especially when it's not forced.

It's understandable why developers do this though. Obtaining licensing fees for the original voice actors tends to be more expensive than just hiring and redoing voice overs for the language predominantly spoken in the country where that game's version is to be released. And of course, if a game were to be released in a western country, more gamers would simply prefer the voices to just be in English...

tl;dr More people need to raise their [Understanding] and [Knowledge] when it comes to other people's opinions or decisions on voice overs.

Someone mentioned the days when RPGs had no voice overs. I miss those days.
#140TokitacPosted 12/3/2012 1:04:27 AM
That is why I keep the superior PS2 version with true voices.
I wished there was an option to mute all this crap to make the game playable at least..shame on you Atlus.