It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#1Dark GunnerPosted 12/6/2012 1:56:20 AM
Not that I dislike the P3 cast, I love them too in their own way but.....

I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.
---
PSN: FinalOcean
Currently Playing: Demon's Souls, BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Noel)
#2Inertion5Posted 12/6/2012 2:01:07 AM
Cause P3 cast actually has more things to worry about.
P4 cast is just dumb for the sake of game lasting longer.
#3Raven236Posted 12/6/2012 2:05:48 AM
P4: The after school club.. (Friendly for the most part)

P3: SEES was supported by the local cops.(Yup hard traning and going to tatarus at night)

They had to Deal with druggies, and overall stanaic group,....

Of course the P4 gang had problems of their own too, not to mention keep their ablilites a secret. (Seriously no one saw them comming out or going in the TV at Junes?)
---
PSN ID: Raven236 / N3DS FC: 1590-4697-4287
SSFIV Main: Sakura
#4Vanquish04Posted 12/6/2012 3:06:48 AM
It could be that the background of the characters in P3 is heavier... P4's cast is not as depressing.

Also, I think the smaller cast size of P4 may also contribute to this, maybe it's a bit more homey with less people?
#5redhawks401Posted 12/6/2012 3:17:08 AM
i wondered when someone would compare them in such a dumb way but i guess thats just your opinion.

first: the p4 cast was more if a hipster gang and the p3 was more mature and emo thats why they give off a vibe of uneasyness when they are together.

second: the initial group of the p3 cast were not friends untill after minato came to town (yukari didn't really talk to jumpei and akihiko and mitsuru didn't really get along with yukari) so basically for the first half of the game they were friends because they had to, but if you think about it that adds more depth to the story because the whole reason why minato acquired the power to seal nyx away from erebus was because of the friendships that HE HELPED CREATE AND NURTURED AMONG SEES while dealing with the shadows and the other misfortunes that befell them.

third: the p4 cast had to deal with minor personal problems found in your average teenage life (confused sexuality, tomboy, traditions, androgeny for fear of not being taken serious respect and search for ones true self) while the p3 cast had some major crap to deal with (drunk dad, dead dad and slutty mom, hardcore bullying, guilt of killing a mother, confronting the guy who killed your mother, death of a friend, the girl you love getting killed by her friends, betrayal by a mentor, the death of your father right in front of you).

after looking at it like that of course the p4 cast looks more relaxed, when they werent fighting shadows they were dealing with typical teenage life while minato and co. had to deal with all their misfortune from the star, dont get me wrong i absolutely love the p4 cast they are very well developed but the p3 had to deal with too much crap to just hang out which they did btw, they went to all the festivals together and took a beach trip to mitsuru's beach house so you my friend are wrong on that, but like i said thats your opinion.
#6Kungfu KenobiPosted 12/6/2012 4:12:34 AM
@Redhawks

I tend to agree with your analysis, and it's why I'm on the fence about which cast I prefer. The P4 cast is a little more grounded, and their personalities are a little easier to absorb. On the other hand, I relate more closely to the life experiences of the P3 cast ... yeah not something I like to think about too much.
---
Check out www.axemurderingworms.com . And remember kids: Sound isn't music, Books aren't stories, This is not a pipe, and The medium is the message.
#7Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 4:48:18 AM
redhawks401 posted...
Falsehoods

LMAO no it doesn't add more to the story, because even after MC comes, Persona 3's cast is still a group of whiny kids who don't like each other. And the same is obviously said for Persona 4, because only Chie and Yukiko were friends before MC showed up (and I guess Chie and Yosuke, but it's obvious Yosuke knew next to nothing about Yukiko, and obviously no one hung out with Kanji). So if it "adds more to Persona 3's story" it adds even more to Persona 4's.

They were also very unrealistic in general. The game tries to convince you that they like each other, while also taking every possible opportunity to show us they can barely stand each other.

Also, you said P3's cast was "more mature and emo." That's an oxymoron. And P3's cast wasn't more mature in any sense of the word. They weren't uneasy around each other because they were "more mature." That doesn't even make sense. They were uneasy around each other cause they were too selfish to care about anyone but themselves and couldn't be assed to be nice to anyone else. That's pretty much the opposite of mature.

Also, Persona 4's cast was a hipster gang? wtf are you even talking about? And yes, the P4 cast's problems were not as dramatic. That's probably because they were actually realistic and relatable.

I also liked the part where you said "P3's cast was too busy dealing with their wangst to hang out even though they did hang out." Kind of makes everything you said in that paragraph irrelevant.
#8Inertion5Posted 12/6/2012 5:15:36 AM
Minatokun13 posted...
redhawks401 posted...
Falsehoods

LMAO no it doesn't add more to the story, because even after MC comes, Persona 3's cast is still a group of whiny kids who don't like each other. And the same is obviously said for Persona 4, because only Chie and Yukiko were friends before MC showed up (and I guess Chie and Yosuke, but it's obvious Yosuke knew next to nothing about Yukiko, and obviously no one hung out with Kanji). So if it "adds more to Persona 3's story" it adds even more to Persona 4's.

They were also very unrealistic in general. The game tries to convince you that they like each other, while also taking every possible opportunity to show us they can barely stand each other.

Also, you said P3's cast was "more mature and emo." That's an oxymoron. And P3's cast wasn't more mature in any sense of the word. They weren't uneasy around each other because they were "more mature." That doesn't even make sense. They were uneasy around each other cause they were too selfish to care about anyone but themselves and couldn't be assed to be nice to anyone else. That's pretty much the opposite of mature.

Also, Persona 4's cast was a hipster gang? wtf are you even talking about? And yes, the P4 cast's problems were not as dramatic. That's probably because they were actually realistic and relatable.

I also liked the part where you said "P3's cast was too busy dealing with their wangst to hang out even though they did hang out." Kind of makes everything you said in that paragraph irrelevant.

just... stop

He made really good points. You on the other hand don't have any valid points whatsoever.
You missed the point of both FES and 4.
#9Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 5:41:10 AM
Kuxal posted...
Minatokun13 posted...
redhawks401 posted...
Falsehoods

just... stop

He made really good points. You on the other hand don't have any valid points whatsoever.
You missed the point of both FES and 4.

In what way did he make good points? His entire post (they had bigger problems like drunk parents, etc.) makes P3 sound like a cliche melodrama. How is that possibly better? In general, cliches are considered poor writing and even poorer examples of character development in the critical masses. What's worse, is that more then one character had the same issues (for example Mitsuo and her family, Yukari and her mother) both parent related which makes them too much alike.

Naruto, One Piece, Final Fantasy, and dozens of others have teenagers with melodramas that a real teenager would not treat the way they do. You can add P3 to that list, making it closer to a classic JRPG in the sense that it uses the same backgrounds to create characters that are far too mature for their age.

I've played both, I've seen real people deal with each of the issues both casts deal with, and by far the P4 cast deals with them in a much more mature and realistic manor (and their issues are far more common despite media failing to portray this).

My friend's mom is a drunk, and he's not a depressed "I want my mother to love me" type. He takes it as the P4 cast would, sad that it has to be that way but finds other outlets to escape rather then dwell on it. People are just as P4 describes: unable to accept the truth so they instead lie to themselves and ignore their problems.

Most people don't care about their parents acceptance like Mitsuo did, I don't, and neither do most of my friends.

The tropes presented in P3 are far from fresh or original, and even though I believe they did them exceptionally well despite this, the cast of P4 are much more believable teenagers. They are "less then intelligent," more inclined to have a good time over serious matters, rely on bonds to get them through hardships (which is why "bullying" is such a huge issue these days. The feeling of isolation is one of the major problems with our youth), and have issues that are more common among that age group. They are far more relatable because of this.
#10Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 5:44:19 AM
Sorry, the P4 cast deals with it in a much "less" mature manor whilst exhibiting some mature aspects (such as self acceptance) is what I should have said.