It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#101ColdFlamezPosted 12/7/2012 8:48:36 PM
I think the bonds that formed between the P3 cast were much more "natural" than P4s. I know it's been said before, but Junpei's shaky start with the MC seemed much better than Yousuke's partners for life thing within 2 days of knowing him. That and the fact that the big, dark secrets(that honestly weren't that serious) that supposedly made everyone form a tight bond are barely mentioned outside of S.Links.
---
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&cn=Verranicus
#102ShybaasonPosted 12/7/2012 8:56:54 PM
ColdFlamez posted...
I think the bonds that formed between the P3 cast were much more "natural" than P4s. I know it's been said before, but Junpei's shaky start with the MC seemed much better than Yousuke's partners for life thing within 2 days of knowing him. That and the fact that the big, dark secrets(that honestly weren't that serious) that supposedly made everyone form a tight bond are barely mentioned outside of S.Links.

except the only Bonds formed were between MC and each char nothing between the chars themselves. It's a business relationship and the MC is the counselor. so NEITHER are really realisitic, We fight life and death battles together every day but i still don't really like you guys!
vs You just saved my life lets be mega best friends forever.

P4 cast are better friends (albiet for silly reasons) P3 cast has FAR more trust in the MC (but outside of Mitsuru/Akihiko/Aigis generally seem to hate each other). P3 Social links however are FAR better then P4 ones since P4 is simply helping them get over a problem with themselves and P3 actually changes their lives (due to a mixture of Death/fool in P3 compared to the pure fool in P4).
#103Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/7/2012 8:58:50 PM
This still going on? Smh. Just agree to disagree (yeah, I know, not going to happen).
#104TluhdatsiPosted 12/7/2012 9:16:37 PM(edited)
Cold Flamez, that's the whole point! We're on the outside, looking in at their dark secrets, and we have the perspective of adults who've been there and done that, or at least the perspective of teenagers with their own dark secrets that are, like, way worse; of course these things are no big deal to us.
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)
#105DidYouMWISMePosted 12/7/2012 9:31:16 PM
In my view, both P3 and P4's approach to friendships worked equally well, albeit for different reasons.

Thematically, P3 is a much darker game, so it simply makes sense for the story to take a more realistic approach to friendships. The Protagonist in P3 actually starts off fairly low in the pecking order -- outranked by seniors who know far more than s/he does -- and it takes time to establish respect and camaraderie. Because characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko are distant at first, though, it makes the finale of the game that much more impactful as you realize just how close the group came together when all the chips were on the table, and just how far the Protagonist was willing to go to protect those s/he grew to care about.

On the flip side, P4's more colorful, vibrant aesthetic matched a more idealistic and optimistic interpretation of friendship.

The net effect in my view is that P3 is more intellectually fulfilling, while P4 is more emotionally fulfilling. Many of P3's social link arcs hit closer to home with real-life events I've witnessed and experienced, and as I play P3 I'm constantly questioning whether I'd be as selfless as the Protagonist or what I'd do if I were in that situation.

By contrast, P4 is like a relaxing mental vacation -- you're not asked to think much, you just enjoy the ride. And that's not an insult against P4, as I think there's times (particularly when real life is difficult) where you simply need to buy into a fairy tale notion that friendship could be as simple and easy as P4 often portrays it.

I'll always remember Chie and Kanji and Naoto as characters more fondly than Akihiko or Junpei or or Mitsuru, but I'll always remember P3's thematic message and the twists and turns in its narrative more fondly than P4's.
---
The Legend of Snake: http://tinyurl.com/3cal86z
The LoS Instruction Manual: http://tinyurl.com/3jlax8h
#106Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/7/2012 9:33:03 PM
DidYouMWISMe posted...
In my view, both P3 and P4's approach to friendships worked equally well, albeit for different reasons.

Thematically, P3 is a much darker game, so it simply makes sense for the story to take a more realistic approach to friendships. The Protagonist in P3 actually starts off fairly low in the pecking order -- outranked by seniors who know far more than s/he does -- and it takes time to establish respect and camaraderie. Because characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko are distant at first, though, it makes the finale of the game that much more impactful as you realize just how close the group came together when all the chips were on the table, and just how far the Protagonist was willing to go to protect those s/he grew to care about.

On the flip side, P4's more colorful, vibrant aesthetic matched a more idealistic and optimistic interpretation of friendship.

The net effect in my view is that P3 is more intellectually fulfilling, while P4 is more emotionally fulfilling. Many of P3's social link arcs hit closer to home with real-life events I've witnessed and experienced, and as I play P3 I'm constantly questioning whether I'd be as selfless as the Protagonist or what I'd do if I were in that situation.

By contrast, P4 is like a relaxing mental vacation -- you're not asked to think much, you just enjoy the ride. And that's not an insult against P4, as I think there's times (particularly when real life is difficult) where you simply need to buy into a fairy tale notion that friendship could be as simple and easy as P4 often portrays it.

I'll always remember Chie and Kanji and Naoto as characters more fondly than Akihiko or Junpei or or Mitsuru, but I'll always remember P3's thematic message and the twists and turns in its narrative more fondly than P4's.

Very, VERY, well said. I completely agree with this assessment.
#107ShagyamPosted 12/7/2012 9:46:50 PM
I know this isn't the space for this, but I absolutely love the P2 cast with more love going towards IS.
---
PSN- Hellz88
GT - Hellz07