It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#21ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 7:56:33 AM
thompsontalker7 posted...
Let's not forget that they managed to develop friendships while being the only ones worrying about the Dark Hour/The Fall.

In Persona 4 everyone knew about the murders, so the reassurance of the police let the Investigation Team breathe a bit.

P4 cast was the only one that could realistically do anything. The police did not even know about the method of murder.
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
#22thompsontalker7Posted 12/6/2012 7:58:57 AM
You're right, but at least their struggle didn't feel as solitary IMO since the police and public were aware. All the anguish in P3 during December about the Fall sucked even more because they were the only ones that knew about it, and thus were the only ones that could make a decision.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
Owning white sneakers are like raising a kid, they all end up corrupted if you're not careful.
#23Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 8:06:45 AM
ArtiRock posted...
I agree that Teddy's was integrated into the story well, but they can't do that for everyone. How would you interweave Yukiko and Kanji's slinks into the story? And even if you could, it would get cluttered. Persona 3 had half of them in social links (girls, but they had some development in the story) and half in-story (dudes). I didn't like that because social links give a better way to understand the character because they don't have to interweive it into the story. Junpei's slink in P3P really helped to flesh out his character. Same with Adachi in P4G, but less so, since I really didn't get much from his slink...

That is the thing though, they need to be somehow, because otherwise you do not really get to know the characters. The friendship you have with them is a base one at best. Yukiko could simply be resolved by having her talk to her parents about it. Your character does not need to be present to resolve her issues. The same goes for Kanji. Simply talking through it makes it easier. Kanji wants acceptance, and he gets that from the protagonist and company. He does not have much to his character, so it already is incorporated. That's just how simple his character is. The only problem is that you never really talk to his mother about this, as Kanji's mother was worried about this as well. The other ones do not matter in the least. Their social links are: I have a problem, and now I don't. Which does not even matter, because their initial problem does not get solved. I feel like S.Links do not work well with party members too much. Unless it is something that they are doing on the side. Like say, Fuuka.

Well, Yukiko's problem COULD be resolved by her talking to her parents, but...she can't at first. That's the whole point, and it's a very realistic one. When I was a teenager, I sure wasn't able to talk to my parents about everything, ESPECIALLY if it was something like Yukiko's case where what she had to say could potentially upset and disappoint her parents. And even more so in Japan, where more emphasis is placed on living up to expectations.

But I also agree that it could easily have been integrated with the storyline. Yukiko's a main character, and similar to how you randomly got scenes of Teddie coming to terms with himself, we could easily have gotten scenes of Yukiko talking about her relationship with her parents DURING the story, most notably when everyone stays at the inn and her parents are presumably in the same building. It could have been the same with Rise's, for example. We could have heard rumors of Kanamin during the main story (lord knows we heard random mostly irrelevant rumors from students anyway).

I do wish Social links would be more of a part of the story. In P2, all the development happened, and it wasn't optional (barring a few small situations). In P3 and P4, you really don't get to know the characters you don't max out. Which on the one hand is good, because you can choose which characters you want to get to know better, but on the other hand you miss out on other characters that you might have liked a whole lot better had you been able to take the time to get to know them.
#24Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 8:09:07 AM
You're right, but at least their struggle didn't feel as solitary IMO since the police and public were aware. All the anguish in P3 during December about the Fall sucked even more because they were the only ones that knew about it, and thus were the only ones that could make a decision.

But that's the same thing with P4. Everyone knew about the murders, but no one knew about the TV world, and once you pass the normal route ending and go for the true route, the investigation team are the only ones knowing about Izanami.

And the public in P3 were vaguely aware of something weird going on because of Apathy syndrome, like how at the end of P4 people are getting sick because of the fog.
#25redhawks401Posted 12/6/2012 8:11:03 AM
ArtiRock posted...
i agree with your point about the slinks with your party members, the subplots for your party member should be about something else so it feels like the MC is actually contributing something in their lives, something which was done perfectly in p3's journey for the girls and the answer for the rest, their problems were not necessarily the dark hour, but the issues they had since before the dark hour (like yukari and her parents) or the problems that generated during the events of the journey (like mitsuru and her fathers death and legacy).

to sum it up, the problems you help solve in the slinks of party members shouldnt be about some completely about the main plot or about a problem which can be solved by just talking it out, it should be something to flesh out your relationship with that slink by giving you an issue that can only be resolved by the MC, not just by anyone who listens *cough*yukiko*cough*

on the side, i really liked how u can get special bonuses by doing the slink events, it is a very nive incentive to level them up, however i didnt like the fact that it was requirement to unlocking the advance persona and the ultimate persona, i mean if all you need to that is to have a resolution in your heart then didnt everyone have one when they decided to search for the truth.
#26Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 8:14:16 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...
P4 characters relationship is rushed for me, they just meet and bang they are BFF. P3 relatioship between SEES its more realistic as theirs has its upsides and downs. P2 well the whole cast has had their problems but they are very close like in P4 but its more worked there.

P4 cast had it easier since they didnt had a looming treath to worry about, the P3 cast actually developed their friendship during the game unlike the P4 cast that relatiosnhip was developed at the momment they met.

P3 cast is better overall.

The thing is, I don't know that the P3 cast DID develop a friendship, at least not to the extent that P4's did. At the end of the game, yes, Yukari and Mitsuru don't hate each other anymore, but we never get the sense that Akihiko and Junpei are friends--they barely interact with each other. At the end of the game, it's still mostly Akihiko and Mitsuru, Ken and Akihiko, Yukari and Junpei, and Aigis/MC that actually interact. Everyone mainly just talks to the MC about each other, but even in group settings they barely talk or interact with each other in friendly ways, other than Yukari and Junpei teasing, and Mitsuru and Akihiko respecting each other and such.

In P4, the whole group interacts with, laughs and jokes with each other to a greater extent than P3, and you get the feeling that they actually LIKE each other. They don't talk to you ABOUT the others, they talk TO the others. Of course Yukiko and Chie are still closer than anyone else, but you still have everyone reacting to Yosuke and Kanji "fighting," people having their standard reactions to Yosuke and Chie, Yukiko laughing at everything everyone does, everyone reacting to Rise's come ons, etc. I feel like they interact with each other much more.
#27RinkuTanukiPosted 12/6/2012 8:15:00 AM
The amount of terrible grammar and spelling in this topic is... fitting.
#28teamchrisPosted 12/6/2012 8:17:23 AM
As much as i love them the cast in both are dumber than a box of rocks.
#29thompsontalker7Posted 12/6/2012 8:20:18 AM
teamchris posted...

You wanted to say that, but you didn't have enough COMMON SENSE
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
Owning white sneakers are like raising a kid, they all end up corrupted if you're not careful.
#30redhawks401Posted 12/6/2012 8:25:10 AM
teamchris posted...

You wanted to say that, but you didn't have enough COMMON SENSE

almost no one has it so why on earth is it called COMMON sense, it should be called rare sense.