It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#31redhawks401Posted 12/6/2012 8:31:13 AM
Minatokun13 posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
P4 characters relationship is rushed for me, they just meet and bang they are BFF. P3 relatioship between SEES its more realistic as theirs has its upsides and downs. P2 well the whole cast has had their problems but they are very close like in P4 but its more worked there.

P4 cast had it easier since they didnt had a looming treath to worry about, the P3 cast actually developed their friendship during the game unlike the P4 cast that relatiosnhip was developed at the momment they met.

P3 cast is better overall.

The thing is, I don't know that the P3 cast DID develop a friendship, at least not to the extent that P4's did. At the end of the game, yes, Yukari and Mitsuru don't hate each other anymore, but we never get the sense that Akihiko and Junpei are friends--they barely interact with each other. At the end of the game, it's still mostly Akihiko and Mitsuru, Ken and Akihiko, Yukari and Junpei, and Aigis/MC that actually interact. Everyone mainly just talks to the MC about each other, but even in group settings they barely talk or interact with each other in friendly ways, other than Yukari and Junpei teasing, and Mitsuru and Akihiko respecting each other and such.

In P4, the whole group interacts with, laughs and jokes with each other to a greater extent than P3, and you get the feeling that they actually LIKE each other. They don't talk to you ABOUT the others, they talk TO the others. Of course Yukiko and Chie are still closer than anyone else, but you still have everyone reacting to Yosuke and Kanji "fighting," people having their standard reactions to Yosuke and Chie, Yukiko laughing at everything everyone does, everyone reacting to Rise's come ons, etc. I feel like they interact with each other much more.

thats where the plot line for answer comes in bud.
#32Code_Geass_CCPosted 12/6/2012 8:51:46 AM(edited)
All the problems with social links will most likely be done in Persona 5. Didn't they say Persona 5 is going to be to the Persona series what Persona 3 and 4 were to the first 3 Persona games?

Like with Catherine, I fully expect something along the lines of a relationship bar, where if your character does something to make another part member hate you you lose their respect. Although too many games do that to be original, I still expect something along those lines. It would mean that dating more than two girls could severely lower your relationship with one character. Valentine's Day to be specific would be a killer.

It's Atlus we are talking about, they'll have their own unique twist with Persona 5. Me personally will miss the S.Links. I liked that even though they were solving a murder mystery the P4 cast still had to worry about their own issues. They were just average students thrusted into a situation that only they could handle, and having their own issues seperate from that actually felt a bit more realistic to me.

Also I liked that their issues seemed "small". They were small to us because we don't have the same desires as they do. Have you ever had to endure something you considered a big issue, or a big deal, and then tried to tell someone that and they told you to just suck it up, it's nothing compared to what other people go through? I've had that happen, I'm sure you've had that happen. I hate that.

When a character like Yukiko is struggling with the pressure of trying to run an inn that's been in her family for generations, but she doesn't know if that's what she wants and it could possibly cause the #1 tourist spot in Inaba to close down for good based on her decision, like heck if it can be resolved just by talking to her parents >___> Maybe that's why I liked the Persona 4 cast. I know the Persona 3 cast has similar things to that, but I just feel like the Persona 4 cast was more, I hate to use this term, realistic and easier to relate to. I'm only 19 after all, so it's possible that maybe I'm still just a teenager. Although running an inn isn't exactly something a teenager would do. It took Yukiko a long look at the friendships she's made after the P4 cast saved her life for her to see that the Amagi Inn was also her family. I loved her S.Link lol.
---
PSN: Key_Amazed
Now playing for eternity: Persona 4 Golden
#33JakomaynePosted 12/6/2012 9:13:57 AM
Kuxal posted...
Cause P3 cast actually has more things to worry about.
P4 cast is just dumb for the sake of game lasting longer.

This lol
---
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5127/leaderaz.jpg
#34MoonlightJustPosted 12/6/2012 9:20:38 AM
Minatokun13 posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
P4 characters relationship is rushed for me, they just meet and bang they are BFF. P3 relatioship between SEES its more realistic as theirs has its upsides and downs. P2 well the whole cast has had their problems but they are very close like in P4 but its more worked there.

P4 cast had it easier since they didnt had a looming treath to worry about, the P3 cast actually developed their friendship during the game unlike the P4 cast that relatiosnhip was developed at the momment they met.

P3 cast is better overall.

The thing is, I don't know that the P3 cast DID develop a friendship, at least not to the extent that P4's did. At the end of the game, yes, Yukari and Mitsuru don't hate each other anymore, but we never get the sense that Akihiko and Junpei are friends--they barely interact with each other. At the end of the game, it's still mostly Akihiko and Mitsuru, Ken and Akihiko, Yukari and Junpei, and Aigis/MC that actually interact. Everyone mainly just talks to the MC about each other, but even in group settings they barely talk or interact with each other in friendly ways, other than Yukari and Junpei teasing, and Mitsuru and Akihiko respecting each other and such.

In P4, the whole group interacts with, laughs and jokes with each other to a greater extent than P3, and you get the feeling that they actually LIKE each other. They don't talk to you ABOUT the others, they talk TO the others. Of course Yukiko and Chie are still closer than anyone else, but you still have everyone reacting to Yosuke and Kanji "fighting," people having their standard reactions to Yosuke and Chie, Yukiko laughing at everything everyone does, everyone reacting to Rise's come ons, etc. I feel like they interact with each other much more.

I think that about sums it up.

I love the cast of both games though, and you can make arguments for liking either one. To each their own.
#35VirusLordPosted 12/6/2012 9:36:45 AM
The Persona 3 cast had a much darker and bleaker background to deal with... which, honestly, doesn't really necessarily improve the game. Everyone had bad histories and not a single character had parents that they could relate to (well, Mitsuru had her dad, but we all know what happened to that...). Everyone had shades of darkness that colored their relationships, and their was a lot of internal conflict that threatened to break the team apart. When they are getting along, the relationship between most members is largely professional. Friendships are still fostered between certain individual characters, but the overall feeling is that of 'trust' and 'respect' rather than 'love' and 'friendship'.

The Persona 4 team doesn't have nearly the same degree of issues to deal with as the Persona 3 cast (no one has the serious parental issues that the entire Persona 3 cast has, with parental figures playing important roles for several characters; plus, the threat is a murderer instead of the end of the world as we know it). At times this feels sillier, but it also comes across as easier to relate to. The Persona 3 cast usually had to overcome deep-seated grudges (Junpei temporarily developed a grudge against the MC, Yukari had a serious one against Mitsuru, Ken against Shinjiro), while the Persona 4 had to deal with personal acceptance, which actually draws the group closer together rather than tearing them apart. Now that I think about it, that may be a key part of the difference; Persona 3 is about overcoming their differences and bonding in order to deal with the looming threat; Persona 4 is about bonding as a result of the looming threat.

I'd talk about how the Persona 4 team feels like really naturally good friends, but I think that's already been done to death in this topic.
---
Ruler of the Unknown Universe
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Emil, ToS:DotNW
#36Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 9:50:46 AM
ArtiRock posted...
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
Sorry, the P4 cast deals with it in a much "less" mature manor whilst exhibiting some mature aspects (such as self acceptance) is what I should have said.

I believe the problem is that their problem is essentially over once they have their dungeon finished. It is why Teddie is a better developed character than the rest of them, because his problems are acknowledged during the plot so he actually grows as a character. Does he change? Not really (which is good), but he does come to a bit of a resolution over the course of the story. The problem with the other main characters is that their problems are handled in the social links, so they do not actually get acknowledgement in the main plot. So they don't actually truly get a resolution. Their problems just fall off the face of the planet in terms of the main plot.

However, the P4 cast does spend more time with one another. So they do feel like friends. Yukiko and Chie already were friends. The cast from P3 came together because of circumstances. While the same can be said for P4, it's not in the same boat. Naoto and Kanji are the only ones I can see not hanging out with our protagonist.

Their development continues in their S.Links where they deal further with their "hidden" selves, yes. But this is fine with me, as it gives time to the bonding aspect of the game during plot events (something that is supposed to be a MAJOR theme, bonds). it also relieves the tension of some of the darker portions, as too much doom and gloom just becomes redundant and boring.

P3 attempts to develop it's characters over the course of the plot, but in the process creates too many cliches and drops a central theme of the game until very late (again, bonds). Their problems aren't realatable, the average teenager does not go through what may of them do.

For example:

Junpei loses Chidori: He becomes a "better" more serious man, remains devoted to her, and attempts to avenge her death (a cliche trope in teenage based Japanese media).

Yosuke loses Saki: He is highly saddened by this, but being a teenager his hormones and rage take over, still hitting on the girls etc., making his reaction much more believable despite his wanting revenge.
#37NakratosPosted 12/6/2012 10:20:34 AM(edited)
For example:

Junpei loses Chidori: He becomes a "better" more serious man, remains devoted to her, and attempts to avenge her death (a cliche trope in teenage based Japanese media).

Yosuke loses Saki: He is highly saddened by this, but being a teenager his hormones and rage take over, still hitting on the girls etc., making his reaction much more believable despite his wanting revenge.

I was going to type a serious reply to this thread, then I saw this.
People are just trying way too hard to justify their own opinions, they can't even acknowledge the subjectivity of a story.
Friend, if you think this way because you've never seen a young person lose someone dear, somehow I even feel glad for you and your friends. This kind of ignorance is, truly, bliss.
But take no offense for the term "ignorance", please, I'm just stating my belief that you don't speak out of experience.

Edit: Of course, you may speak out of experience and that may be why you relate better to Yosuke, but do not believe that this is the "norm", that everyone acts that way.
#38Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 10:29:03 AM
Nakratos posted...
For example:

People are just trying way too hard to justify their own opinions, they can't even acknowledge the subjectivity of a story.
Friend, if you think this way because you've never seen a young person lose someone dear, somehow I even feel glad for you and your friends. This kind of ignorance is, truly, bliss.
But take no offense for the term "ignorance", please, I'm just stating my belief that you don't speak out of experience.

Edit: Of course, you may speak out of experience and that may be why you relate better to Yosuke, but do not believe that this is the "norm", that everyone acts that way.

It is the norm for romantic relationships (not family, not friends, just romantic) in the teenage years. You can be depressed, but biologically you are barely capable of coping with it like Junpei did.

The teenage mind is wired differently then other age groups, this is proven through science. Becoming a more mature man through romantic loss at those years is barely possible, it's one of the reasons most countries have age of consent laws. Young people are barely (not all, but most) capable of understanding what that kind of relationship truly is.

So, I'm not "insulting" you either (sarcasm) but if it's happened to you then it is the exception, not the rule. I tend to go with scientific fact over personal experience.

And yes, IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME, it sucks beyond description. But I don't let my biases get in the way of proven fact.
#39Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 10:32:53 AM
Nakratos posted...
For example:

It is the norm for romantic relationships (not family, not friends, just romantic) in the teenage years. You can be depressed, but biologically you are barely capable of coping with it like Junpei did.

The teenage mind is wired differently then other age groups, this is proven through science. Becoming a more mature man through romantic loss at those years is barely possible, it's one of the reasons most countries have age of consent laws. Young people are barely (not all, but most) capable of understanding what that kind of relationship truly is.

So, I'm not "insulting" you either (sarcasm) but if it's happened to you then it is the exception, not the rule. I tend to go with scientific fact over personal experience.

And yes, IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME, it sucks beyond description. But I don't let my biases get in the way of proven fact.

And I said average, so come on, ignorant? That's an ignorant statement for believing that I believe it happens in all cases.
#40GaboadoPosted 12/6/2012 10:34:18 AM
Yukari>P4 Cast