It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#41Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 10:36:57 AM
Gaboado posted...
Yukari>P4 Cast

Lol, this is the kind of "lightening the mood" that I prefer about P4's cast over P3.

I have no quarrels with people's opinion that P3 is better, just explaining why I, personally, prefer P4's cast.
#42Inertion5Posted 12/6/2012 10:37:07 AM
Gaboado posted...
Yukari>P4 Cast

lol go away
#43Dark Gunner(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:51:42 AM
Wow this topic really went places...

I still stand by my way of thinking for the most part though. I guess after The Answer you could make the argument that the team got a lot closer (which they needed because I'd say with their story over and MC gone they probably needed that to not completely split) but they're still not super close friends in the same way the P4 group is. They're close, and they are friends, but not in the way that they'd hang out all the time. I think the person who said that they had trust and respect over love and friendship pretty much hit the nail on the head right there.

Not to say that's a bad thing either. It's just a different group dynamic for a very different group of people who dealt with a very different situation.
---
PSN: FinalOcean
Currently Playing: Demon's Souls, BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Noel)
#44Strain42Posted 12/6/2012 10:52:42 AM
I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.

Oddly enough, that's why I actually preferred the P3 cast.

Yes, in P4 they felt more like actual friends, I'm not denying that, but it did NOT feel natural to me. It was just like as soon as anyone joined the group, now all of a sudden we're the bestest buds ever.

The closest thing the game offered to friction between these characters was Yosuke being afraid that Kanji was gonna butt-**** him out boredom.

I respected and appreciated the friendship between Junpei and the P3MC more than Yosuke and Yu because it wasn't just this automatic best friend bond from the word Go. Their friendship had some speed bumps in it, and that's why towards the end of the game when Junpei tells the P3MC "I'd trust you with my life." it meant a lot more to me than if Yosuke ever said it.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#45Dark Gunner(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:58:20 AM
Strain42 posted...
I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.

Oddly enough, that's why I actually preferred the P3 cast.

Yes, in P4 they felt more like actual friends, I'm not denying that, but it did NOT feel natural to me. It was just like as soon as anyone joined the group, now all of a sudden we're the bestest buds ever.

The closest thing the game offered to friction between these characters was Yosuke being afraid that Kanji was gonna butt-**** him out boredom.

I respected and appreciated the friendship between Junpei and the P3MC more than Yosuke and Yu because it wasn't just this automatic best friend bond from the word Go. Their friendship had some speed bumps in it, and that's why towards the end of the game when Junpei tells the P3MC "I'd trust you with my life." it meant a lot more to me than if Yosuke ever said it.

I always thought it was because....well..... they had all their **** laid bare right infront of these strange people, yet these people accepted them anyways. Especially in say Kanji's case, when no one would even give him a chance, then this group comes and they're so accepting of it because they know what it's like.. It wouldn't be hard to form a bond with a group like that.
---
PSN: FinalOcean
Currently Playing: Demon's Souls, BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Noel)
#46SkaldskaparmalPosted 12/6/2012 11:02:30 AM(edited)
Persona 4's cast was better because they weren't just gigantic walking tropes. Well, compared to Persona 3's cast, at least.
#47ikilledkenny2Posted 12/6/2012 11:02:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#48Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 11:05:10 AM
redhawks401 posted...
Minatokun13 posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
P4 characters relationship is rushed for me, they just meet and bang they are BFF. P3 relatioship between SEES its more realistic as theirs has its upsides and downs. P2 well the whole cast has had their problems but they are very close like in P4 but its more worked there.

P4 cast had it easier since they didnt had a looming treath to worry about, the P3 cast actually developed their friendship during the game unlike the P4 cast that relatiosnhip was developed at the momment they met.

P3 cast is better overall.

The thing is, I don't know that the P3 cast DID develop a friendship, at least not to the extent that P4's did. At the end of the game, yes, Yukari and Mitsuru don't hate each other anymore, but we never get the sense that Akihiko and Junpei are friends--they barely interact with each other. At the end of the game, it's still mostly Akihiko and Mitsuru, Ken and Akihiko, Yukari and Junpei, and Aigis/MC that actually interact. Everyone mainly just talks to the MC about each other, but even in group settings they barely talk or interact with each other in friendly ways, other than Yukari and Junpei teasing, and Mitsuru and Akihiko respecting each other and such.

In P4, the whole group interacts with, laughs and jokes with each other to a greater extent than P3, and you get the feeling that they actually LIKE each other. They don't talk to you ABOUT the others, they talk TO the others. Of course Yukiko and Chie are still closer than anyone else, but you still have everyone reacting to Yosuke and Kanji "fighting," people having their standard reactions to Yosuke and Chie, Yukiko laughing at everything everyone does, everyone reacting to Rise's come ons, etc. I feel like they interact with each other much more.

thats where the plot line for answer comes in bud.

Right, and that's just terrible character development, if the game about how important friendship is doesn't actually show the characters interacting with each other until the sequel game, which hasn't even been ported. At least SOME of that should have happened in P3 itself, not in a sequel game. That's the whole point, thanks for proving it.
#49ikilledkenny2Posted 12/6/2012 11:11:37 AM(edited)
P3's cast just has way too many unlikable people. Ken and Yukari are both terrible and throw off the dynamic. I don't care if they're "FLAWED REAL PEOPLE", but I'm playing a game to enjoy the characters. Same goes for Junpei. I don't care if it's "realistic", it's annoying when he starts whining and being a dick to the MC about stuff that's not even his fault. When their "REAL PEOPLE FLAWS" get in the way of me enjoying the game, that's when it's bad. I also don't feel much of a connection if any between most of the characters.

Though I do love Aigis and Shinji.

P4 I love everyone, their interactions and look forward to every cutscene to see them interact.
#50ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 11:11:09 AM
Well, Yukiko's problem COULD be resolved by her talking to her parents, but...she can't at first. That's the whole point, and it's a very realistic one. When I was a teenager, I sure wasn't able to talk to my parents about everything, ESPECIALLY if it was something like Yukiko's case where what she had to say could potentially upset and disappoint her parents. And even more so in Japan, where more emphasis is placed on living up to expectations.

Right, I understand that she cannot right now. I understand that. What I was saying was that afterward, she is not. So her plot does not really meet any realistic conclusion. Even at the end of her S.Link, I still do not feel much of a conclusion. More like a "I've made this enough of an issue for my friend, I'll stop talking about this with him. He's a good person for staying with me despite how I've been." It's resolution for the protagonist, it is not resolution for Yukiko.

But I also agree that it could easily have been integrated with the storyline. Yukiko's a main character, and similar to how you randomly got scenes of Teddie coming to terms with himself, we could easily have gotten scenes of Yukiko talking about her relationship with her parents DURING the story, most notably when everyone stays at the inn and her parents are presumably in the same building. It could have been the same with Rise's, for example. We could have heard rumors of Kanamin during the main story (lord knows we heard random mostly irrelevant rumors from students anyway).

Right. That is exactly what I was going for. People like Kou or Ai are fine to have their plot developments in the social links because they are not main characters.

I do wish Social links would be more of a part of the story. In P2, all the development happened, and it wasn't optional (barring a few small situations). In P3 and P4, you really don't get to know the characters you don't max out. Which on the one hand is good, because you can choose which characters you want to get to know better, but on the other hand you miss out on other characters that you might have liked a whole lot better had you been able to take the time to get to know them.

It is good for characters that are not party members, as you will see them in the background sometimes, and you might even interact with them, but they can and sometimes do say more or less based on how well you know them. Which is good.

Junpei loses Chidori: He becomes a "better" more serious man, remains devoted to her, and attempts to avenge her death (a cliche trope in teenage based Japanese media).

Yosuke loses Saki: He is highly saddened by this, but being a teenager his hormones and rage take over, still hitting on the girls etc., making his reaction much more believable despite his wanting revenge.

That depends on how close you think Yosuke was to Saki. The difference between Junpei and Yosuke is that Junpei has a dysfunctional family, and Chidori was someone that he legitimately formed a close bond with. Yosuke was someone that had a crush on a cute girl.

Both are pretty realistic. Yosuke wants revenge because it was someone he knew that died. He does not seem close to Saki at all. As a matter of fact, his S.Links help one to come to that conclusion, because he literally doesn't know anything about her. When you talk to Yosuke and Saki's brother, it becomes as clear as glass.
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.