It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#51Doru_DinnPosted 12/6/2012 11:11:22 AM
I think more than anything the defining differences between P3 and P4's "team dynamic" is that on one hand you have SEES, a few people with impressive capabilities, gathered and trained for a specific purpose. They're not all friends exactly, but there is the trust, and they all know they can rely on each other nearly unconditionally. Most of them are more bonds of appreciation, solidarity and respect than friendships. In persona 4 they're all close BECAUSE they become friends. They do rely on each other, but the foundation of their trust is friendship.

By comparison,
P3: A deadly stressful work environment where they band together. I believe "unbreakable bond" defines it. It's a never ending trust that just needed initially to be held like glue by the MC and eventually was made even stronger in honor of him and his passing.
P4: Friends who decided to do something ridiculously stupid who develop a deeper understanding of themselves, and appreciation for the diversity in life and challenges people face. A very different type of "unbreakable bond". It even sounds like a description from a TV show. XD

Honestly I like the interactions/relationships in P4 better. :P
---
You've got to admit that there's a certain inherent epicness in the Hero running around looking like Hobo Link.
- Guruda on Dragon Quest VII
#52retep_onePosted 12/6/2012 11:12:06 AM
imo, P4 cast is lighter, in the storyline they needed self acceptance which made them go. it is like their friendship is more real and evolved more as the story progressed compared to the p3 cast

the P3 cast is in a more mature and heavier situation. most have issues in the past with other teammates (like mitsuru and yukari, ken and shinjiro among others). some really bad things needed to happen for them to finally work it out.
---
PSN: Spectre0415
currently playing: tekken tag tournament 2, borderlands 2, nba 2k13, resident evil 6, skyrim
#53Minatokun13Posted 12/6/2012 11:13:12 AM
Strain42 posted...
I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.

Oddly enough, that's why I actually preferred the P3 cast.

Yes, in P4 they felt more like actual friends, I'm not denying that, but it did NOT feel natural to me. It was just like as soon as anyone joined the group, now all of a sudden we're the bestest buds ever.

The closest thing the game offered to friction between these characters was Yosuke being afraid that Kanji was gonna butt-**** him out boredom.

I respected and appreciated the friendship between Junpei and the P3MC more than Yosuke and Yu because it wasn't just this automatic best friend bond from the word Go. Their friendship had some speed bumps in it, and that's why towards the end of the game when Junpei tells the P3MC "I'd trust you with my life." it meant a lot more to me than if Yosuke ever said it.

Well see, the thing is...remember the circumstances under which P4's cast meets. In P4, when someone new joins, we literally just saw their deepest darkest secrets displayed (and on TV on top of that) in front of everyone. And then they save their lives.

In P3, Junpei already had the potential, you don't save him life when you meet him, and the characters are keeping so many secrets about themselves from each other it's no wonder they don't like each other.

So yeah, P4's friendships happen faster (well, since they don't happen at all for most characters in P3, that's a given), but remember. Yosuke and the MC got closer a lot faster because after only a few days, the MC got to see Yosuke's darkest secrets, and literally did save his life.

So when Yosuke says "I'd trust you with my life," it's because He knows he can, because MC already saved him! So yeah, it happens a lot faster, but undeniably for a very good reason.

In other words, yes, they make quick friendships, but when they meet, the P4 cast already knows more about the new character after their first meeting than the P3 cast knows about each other after the whole game's over. Which is why yours is like the one opinion I just cannot understand.
#54ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 11:13:17 AM
Strain42 posted...
I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.

Oddly enough, that's why I actually preferred the P3 cast.

Yes, in P4 they felt more like actual friends, I'm not denying that, but it did NOT feel natural to me. It was just like as soon as anyone joined the group, now all of a sudden we're the bestest buds ever.

The closest thing the game offered to friction between these characters was Yosuke being afraid that Kanji was gonna butt-**** him out boredom.

I respected and appreciated the friendship between Junpei and the P3MC more than Yosuke and Yu because it wasn't just this automatic best friend bond from the word Go. Their friendship had some speed bumps in it, and that's why towards the end of the game when Junpei tells the P3MC "I'd trust you with my life." it meant a lot more to me than if Yosuke ever said it.

Exactly. The bumps made the interactions feel more meaningful. I liked how with Junpei had a bit of a dislike towards the MC of P3, and eventually warmed up to him..
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
#55ikilledkenny2Posted 12/6/2012 11:13:47 AM
Whoa.

Yosuke isn't going for revenge. He wants to make sure what happens to Saki never happens to anyone else and wants her to be able to rest in peace. It's not like he's out for blood, especially at the end.
#56GeoMaggsPosted 12/6/2012 11:14:35 AM
Guys:

Persona 3 - Characters had to shoot themselves all the time in order to get their persona to come out. Message: Kill yourself, it's better that way.

Persona 4 - Teenage drama with one guy fixing everyone's problems. Message: You can fix things with help from friends.

That's why the P4 cast is better.

/topic
---
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
#57ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 11:16:27 AM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
Whoa.

Yosuke isn't going for revenge. He wants to make sure what happens to Saki never happens to anyone else and wants her to be able to rest in peace. It's not like he's out for blood, especially at the end.

He is going for a form of revenge. Otherwise when he found out who the actual person was, he wouldn't have suggested killing them.

That's definitely not just stopping it from happening.
---
#58ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 11:18:45 AM
GeoMaggs posted...
Guys:

Persona 3 - Characters had to shoot themselves all the time in order to get their persona to come out. Message: Kill yourself, it's better that way.

Persona 4 - Teenage drama with one guy fixing everyone's problems. Message: You can fix things with help from friends.

That's why the P4 cast is better.

/topic

No. Ironically enough P3 is about life more than anything else. Using your logic, P4's message is that a person is unable to fix their problems on their own, and instead need to have a man fix their problems.
---
#59ikilledkenny2Posted 12/6/2012 11:29:05 AM
ArtiRock posted...
ikilledkenny2 posted...
Whoa.

He is going for a form of revenge. Otherwise when he found out who the actual person was, he wouldn't have suggested killing them.

He was on an emotional high at that point after what happened to Nanako, but so were a few of the other party members who hadn't lost anyone to the crime. When Yosuke finds out who actually killed Saki and that person asks to be killed once defeated, Yosuke specifically states he's not going to do that and needs to be turned in.
#60ArtiRockPosted 12/6/2012 11:47:06 AM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
ArtiRock posted...
ikilledkenny2 posted...
Whoa.

He was on an emotional high at that point after what happened to Nanako, but so were a few of the other party members who hadn't lost anyone to the crime. When Yosuke finds out who actually killed Saki and that person asks to be killed once defeated, Yosuke specifically states he's not going to do that and needs to be turned in.

What you say and what you are going to do when the times comes are what truly test a person's will. It doesn't matter what he said. It's what he's going to do.
---