It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#61LittleBraverPosted 12/6/2012 11:47:31 AM
I loved both cast. Friendly or not, HS drama or not. I don't really care.
#62Semi45aPosted 12/6/2012 11:49:31 AM
the truth is that Persona 4 was designed by programers that were fanboys of Persona 3
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#63RikkettikPosted 12/6/2012 11:59:03 AM
Dark Gunner posted...
Not that I dislike the P3 cast, I love them too in their own way but.....

I think the P4 cast comes across more as actual friends. It feels more natural to me. I actually believe that outside of the case, they'd want to hang out. For some reason, I get the feeling that other then a few exceptions, the P3 cast is kind of all business.

Perhaps in the original Persona 3 (P3 and P3: FES), but not in the female route of P3P, in which you have a social link with all the members of SEES, even Koromaru. It builds up a little slower than it does in P4, in which you save someone from the TV and pretty much immediately become best friends with them, but still.

There's one big difference, though. In Persona 4, it feels like everyone from the team is friends with everyone. In Persona 3 the same is true, but it's mainly the result of developing the Fool social link. At the end of the game, when everyone forgot about the Dark Hour and all that, the Fool link is basically broken too and you'll see Yukari and Junpei talking about Aigis as "that girl from the dorm" and Akihiro as "that captain of the boxing team we never really talked with" and Mitsuru as "the head of the Kirijo group who 'I think' also lives in our dorm".

Their whole friendship was based around the Dark Hour and beating the Shadows, and everyone was connected to each other because they were connected to the main character. With the main character gone, I don't think there's much that keeps them together. Whereas in Persona 4, it becomes clear that they stay friends even while Yu/Souji is out of town.

I like the cast from Persona 4 more than the cast from Persona 3, but that's mainly because of the setting. Persona 3 was dark and mature and you couldn't get away from your team mates because you were all cramped together in that dorm of yours. Persona 4 consists of a bunch of teenagers just living their own lives while at the same time sharing a close frienship. It just appeals to me more.
#64Pics_nao_plzPosted 12/6/2012 12:03:47 PM
The P3 cast were never really friends though. It wasn't until the end of the game they started hanging out together
---
Lol
#65BadAssBanchoPosted 12/6/2012 12:09:53 PM
i like the P3 cast more cuz they're all emo like me :)
---
The wheel of fate is turning
#66SparNar607Posted 12/6/2012 12:16:00 PM
Problem with that is that the P3 cast temporarily lost their memories. If the p3 protag runs around trying to find all the SEES members, they still seem to know him/her but not the how or why. I'm certain that if the P4 cast lost their memories of one another, they'd be distant too.

And everyone being in the same dorm is something I miss. I actually like it more than the Dojima residence. I liked hearing "S'up Dude" and "Where have you been"s from the various members. Depending on the day/event, you'd find the team sitting together in the lounge, at the table, or on one of the uper levels and I highly doubt they were staring blankly/not socializng.

I also enjoyed being able to check the telly about the incresing effects of apathy syndrome and how that it was taking it's tole on the economy but that's another thing...
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#67Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 12:19:38 PM
Yu saved Yosuke's ass and saw the worst of him, then accepted him. Who in the right mind would NOT become close friends with him? If you wouldn't, then you are either a loner or don't respect someone who respects you.

Junpei and "Minato" made sense as well. Junpei was never saved by him, and he was a bit jealous of his unusual potential, etc. However, this to me does not create a better dynamic, just a more complex one. And more complex does not necessarily mean better.

Again, the friendships in P4 felt more natural. Everyone I've known, seen etc. hangs out with their friends, goofing around and only occasionally really talk anything serious.

P3 cast, once they finally did become friends, hit you over the head with it, going so far as to say their "friendship" bypassed forced memory loss.

Now, the ending of P4 did hit you over the head with it as well (the silhouettes of the maxed S. Link characters during the Izanami fight was cheesy at best) but the game as a whole lead up to this point under the assumption they were indeed THAT close. P3 did not, it felt tacked on. So at the very least, it made more sense then P3's sudden "clonk to the skull" even if both were inherently cliche.
#68RoksuPosted 12/6/2012 12:20:04 PM
Ugh, don't tempt me to play P3 again! >_>
---
PSN: Rokuyo14
Black 2 FC: 3912-5402-0379
#69SparNar607Posted 12/6/2012 12:20:26 PM
Roksu posted...
Ugh, don't tempt me to play P3 again! >_>

Do it.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#70Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 12:21:26 PM
SparNar607 posted...
Problem with that is that the P3 cast temporarily lost their memories. If the p3 protag runs around trying to find all the SEES members, they still seem to know him/her but not the how or why. I'm certain that if the P4 cast lost their memories of one another, they'd be distant too.

And everyone being in the same dorm is something I miss. I actually like it more than the Dojima residence. I liked hearing "S'up Dude" and "Where have you been"s from the various members. Depending on the day/event, you'd find the team sitting together in the lounge, at the table, or on one of the uper levels and I highly doubt they were staring blankly/not socializng.

I also enjoyed being able to check the telly about the incresing effects of apathy syndrome and how that it was taking it's tole on the economy but that's another thing...

In all honesty, I do miss that as well. That's the one thing that made them feel more like a team then the P4 cast. But I still prefer P4's friendship dynamic (and overall the characters) better.