It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#71SeyalPosted 12/6/2012 11:31:44 AM
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
Young people are barely (not all, but most) capable of understanding what that kind of relationship truly is.

So why can't Junpei be one of the exceptions? Why does it have to mean his character is bad or this part of his story was done poorly?
---
O Almighty watch over your servant as she struts her stuff! - Nun/Dancer at Gleeba
#72ArriOnrpgPosted 12/6/2012 11:32:32 AM
The cast of P3 was brought together and kept together by the Dark Hour and SEES and the shadows and all that. At the end of the game and The Answer some of the members are more friends towards each other than they were from the beginning of the game, but that friendship is still based around Minato.

With the way P3's story is, the cast really has no reason to stick together after the end because they were brought together due to necessity, and now that the necessity is gone, there's nothing holding them together.

The cast of P4, on the other hand, pretty much met each other at school and became friends that way. They all become friends, and going into the TV World and fighting shadows and rescuing people tightens that bond, whereas the cast of P3 didn't have that bond to begin with. The exception to this is Naoto, who still feels distant from the other party members during the story. Yes, there is the social link, but that feeling of friendship isn't really brought into the story really until the very end. So really, Naoto feels much more like someone who would fit into P3 as well as P4, whereas the rest of the cast of P4 would feel out of place in P3.

There's nothing "wrong" or "better" about one way or another, people just like different things. Arguing about how one person is "dumb" because they don't think the P3 cast is the best thing since sliced bread and the most friendly no matter what is silly. Skewing the facts around the how and why the casts of each game was brought together just because you like one group over the other is also stupid.
#73Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 11:37:12 AM
Seyal posted...
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
Young people are barely (not all, but most) capable of understanding what that kind of relationship truly is.

So why can't Junpei be one of the exceptions? Why does it have to mean his character is bad or this part of his story was done poorly?

Because it's a cliche trope of Japanese media.

It's not fresh, original, or realistic.

An exception doesn't make him relatable, which characters should be able to do (which is the critical consensus).

Do you need any more reasons?
#74Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 11:39:56 AM
ArriOnrpg posted...
The cast of P3 was brought together and kept together by the Dark Hour and SEES and the shadows and all that. At the end of the game and The Answer some of the members are more friends towards each other than they were from the beginning of the game, but that friendship is still based around Minato.

With the way P3's story is, the cast really has no reason to stick together after the end because they were brought together due to necessity, and now that the necessity is gone, there's nothing holding them together.

The cast of P4, on the other hand, pretty much met each other at school and became friends that way. They all become friends, and going into the TV World and fighting shadows and rescuing people tightens that bond, whereas the cast of P3 didn't have that bond to begin with. The exception to this is Naoto, who still feels distant from the other party members during the story. Yes, there is the social link, but that feeling of friendship isn't really brought into the story really until the very end. So really, Naoto feels much more like someone who would fit into P3 as well as P4, whereas the rest of the cast of P4 would feel out of place in P3.

There's nothing "wrong" or "better" about one way or another, people just like different things. Arguing about how one person is "dumb" because they don't think the P3 cast is the best thing since sliced bread and the most friendly no matter what is silly. Skewing the facts around the how and why the casts of each game was brought together just because you like one group over the other is also stupid.

Agreed. I just like to answer people who clearly don't either understand an opinion is an opinion or bash me for my opinion.

**Discalaimer: This thread is ALL OPINION. DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE TO ANYTHING SOMEONE ELSE SAYS.**
#75SmashStrikePosted 12/6/2012 11:44:04 AM
I feel the exact opposite way. The P4 cast seemed pretty distant from each other. It just felt like they were hanging out together because they were all Yu Narukami fanboys/fangirls. Aside from Chie/Yukiko, none of them seemed like serious close friends.

The P3 cast on the other hand, felt incredibly close. They argued, fought, cried, and grieved with each other and they were all stronger for it. Friendships like MC/Junpei, Mitsuru/Yukari, Akihiko/Ken, MC/Aigis, Yukari/Aigis, and so on felt much more sincere and real than any P4 friendship to me.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#76Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/6/2012 11:51:49 AM
SmashStrike posted...
I feel the exact opposite way. The P4 cast seemed pretty distant from each other. It just felt like they were hanging out together because they were all Yu Narukami fanboys/fangirls. Aside from Chie/Yukiko, none of them seemed like serious close friends.

The P3 cast on the other hand, felt incredibly close. They argued, fought, cried, and grieved with each other and they were all stronger for it. Friendships like MC/Junpei, Mitsuru/Yukari, Akihiko/Ken, MC/Aigis, Yukari/Aigis, and so on felt much more sincere and real than any P4 friendship to me.

HUH? That's blatant falsehood.

*Spoilers*

Yosuke cracked on Kanji/Teddie constantly.

They commented on Yukiko's laughing fits regularly.

They commented on Chie's "repeating everything said" every time.

They sat around a table at a super department store and talked frequently about the murder as well as other things (not just business like in P3).

They stayed together on every school trip (all 4 or 5 of them) and had dialog with each other for like 10 minutes at a time.

Ate together

Went to Yu's home together to be with Nanako

Fought FOR each other, not just with like in P3

Accepted each other and their flaws

Morned together when Nanako was in the hospital

Nearly cried when the MC was leaving to go home

What MORE do you want?
#77SmashStrikePosted 12/6/2012 12:06:44 PM
If you're looking for an argument, you're barking up the wrong tree. I didn't post in this topic to argue "WHO'S FRIENDSHIPZ PWNS MOAR!?! HURR DURR!!"

I posted to offer my view on things. if you disagree, ok but posting instances in the game as if they disprove my opinion is silly argument and one I'm not interesting in having. I will say this though, very little in P4 suggested that any character (barring Yukiko/Chie again) cared about any other character on a individual and personal level. They all seemed like generally friendly people who were friendly to each other because Shadow crap happened and they all were in love with Yu. No one seemed genuinely attached to another because of that other person's individual personality/words/actions/ideals.

That's all I have to say on the matter really.
---
#78Bleach313Posted 12/6/2012 12:34:14 PM
Personally the only reason I liked the P4 cast better then FES's was because of the entertainment. When I was playing FES it was mostly all business and wasn't that entertaining unless it was a forced entertaining moment like the school trip (even though it was funny still ended up being business -_-).

P4 was funny as heck and entertaining as well. Even when things are 100% serious they still find some way to make it entertaining. For example Kanji's shadow and when he joined (making him put on those glasses lol). Also in P4 I could take them more serious because of how down to earth their problems were. I'd pick Kanji's insecurity of his hobbies, over how Mitsuru's background makes her have to meet everyone's expectations. The Kanji problem seems lke more of a serious thing that some guy's have which makes me relate to it, while Mitsuru's is something I couldn't relate to because I don't see it much.

Also I have more in the P4 cast I like then in the P3 cast
P3: MC, Junpei, Akihiko
P4: MC, Yosuke, Kanji, Teddie, and Chie
#79ikilledkenny2Posted 12/6/2012 12:49:54 PM(edited)
SmashStrike posted...
If you're looking for an argument, you're barking up the wrong tree. I didn't post in this topic to argue "WHO'S FRIENDSHIPZ PWNS MOAR!?! HURR DURR!!"

I posted to offer my view on things. if you disagree, ok but posting instances in the game as if they disprove my opinion is silly argument and one I'm not interesting in having. I will say this though, very little in P4 suggested that any character (barring Yukiko/Chie again) cared about any other character on a individual and personal level. They all seemed like generally friendly people who were friendly to each other because Shadow crap happened and they all were in love with Yu. No one seemed genuinely attached to another because of that other person's individual personality/words/actions/ideals.

That's all I have to say on the matter really.

that's bull and you know it

If you're just going to ignore when someone posted real instances where the characters show their deep caring for each other I'm not sure why you'd bother going "mc/junpei aigis/yukari so close look at my examples while i ignore yours waaah"
#80SmashStrikePosted 12/6/2012 1:13:15 PM(edited)
ikilledkenny2 posted...
If you're just going to ignore when someone posted real instances where the characters show their deep caring for each other I'm not sure why you'd bother going "mc/junpei aigis/yukari so close look at my examples while i ignore yours waaah"

Difference there being, I never said anyone was wrong or that I was right.
---