It finally hit me why I like the P4 cast so much more then the P3 cast. *spoiler

#91Dabrikishaw15Posted 12/6/2012 3:23:50 PM
This again?
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Dabrikishaw
Fact: all fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.
#92SparNar607Posted 12/6/2012 3:29:22 PM
Dabrikishaw15 posted...
This again?

Could be worse. Could be a Dub vs Sub debate.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#93sparrow321Posted 12/6/2012 6:53:19 PM
I find it funny when people think being a cliche is a bad thing. Everything is a cliche/trope. With 6 billion people on the planet, originality is pretty much gone. Even most of stuff you saw as kids was either ripped off or copied from somewhere.

With that being said, I still thought most of the stuff in both games was pretty original. I think the bond the team had in both games was pretty good. In P3 it was pretty much all business though (with Minato screwing every girl in the dorm). When someone joined the team everyone wasn't all buddy-buddy because they didn't know each other. All they knew was that they had persona and shadows needed killing. Over time they grew as a TEAM and everyone came to respect each other. In P4 it was completely different because they didn't have the same pressures as the characters in P3 had. Until Naoto came along they were mostly just trying to save whoever came along. But it did look like they bonded alot more since they didn't all live in they same dorm and they actually had to meet and do things together. I also think that over time they really all depended on each other's friendship since they could be completely open about their deepest secrets.

All in All. Comparing the casts is like apples and oranges. Both of them are a group of kids with persona. The similarity pretty much ends there. Well except for the MC Pimp. Personally I like P3 cast better. Mainly because I think the social links are better. And MITSURU
#94Minatokun13Posted 12/7/2012 5:35:33 PM
SmashStrike posted...
If you're looking for an argument, you're barking up the wrong tree. I didn't post in this topic to argue "WHO'S FRIENDSHIPZ PWNS MOAR!?! HURR DURR!!"

I posted to offer my view on things. if you disagree, ok but posting instances in the game as if they disprove my opinion is silly argument and one I'm not interesting in having. I will say this though, very little in P4 suggested that any character (barring Yukiko/Chie again) cared about any other character on a individual and personal level. They all seemed like generally friendly people who were friendly to each other because Shadow crap happened and they all were in love with Yu. No one seemed genuinely attached to another because of that other person's individual personality/words/actions/ideals.

That's all I have to say on the matter really.

The problem is, that his posting instances in the game which DO in fact disprove your opinion, is him backing up his opinion with actual evidence from the game. You have not done so, and the fact that is there literally is almost nothing in P3 that you could even use to back up your opinion that the P3 cast cared about each other more than the P4 cast did. There just isn't.

Additionally, it was made EXTREMELY clear that Yosuke and Teddie cared about each other, and that Kanji cared for Naoto. And Chie and Yosuke were already friends (given both their interactions and that Chie had let Yosuke borrow her things before Yu even moves to Inaba). Naoto's kind of the odd one out because she isn't part of the group for very long before the game ends. So saying "there's little to suggest they care about each other" is not only you just blatantly ignoring the game, but even if it were true, there's still more to suggest they care about each other even in P4Vanilla than there was in P3, P3P or FES combined.

And yes, they seemed like people who were friendly to each other because Shadow crap. That's still better than P3's cast, who didn't even try to be friendly to each other even though Shadow crap. And as was already pointed out by other people, once P3's MC left, half of them went back to avoiding each other like the plague, while P4's cast still regularly hung out with each other. So yeah.

It's fine to have your own opinion, but when you refuse to even try to defend your opinion with anything concrete from the games, and your opinion seemingly (barring some evidence I'm not aware of) directly contradicts the actual events of both games, you can't really complain when people are dismissive of what you had to say.
#95SmashStrikePosted 12/7/2012 6:10:40 PM
Birth_By_Sorrow
You said "there were no instances where they seemed truly close." That's stated as though it is FACT.

I'm sorry but no. Take for example the part you quoted from me.

"there were no instances where they seemed truly close."

"seemed", implying a subjective interpretation. I'm sorry if you got the impression that my opinion was the law but it's not and I never attempted to say it was.

Minatokun13
The problem is, that his posting instances in the game which DO in fact disprove your opinion,

This is a very strange statement right here. You act is if my opinion on something is some quantifiable academic theory thing that can be disproved with enough scenes within the game that a person assigns arbitrary "friendship value" to. I find that to be ridiculous. You see half of the examples Sorrow posted to me were so incredibly superficial I thought he was being sarcastic at first. Now you and him obviously don't see it that way but I do. That's part of the reason I find this "opinion disproved" argument to be so pointless. I'm sorry if you wanted more details or multiple examples to understand my opinion better but I just didn't feel like a lengthy character discussion then and with this trainwreck of a discussion I certainly don't feel like it now.

It's fine to have your own opinion, but when you refuse to even try to defend your opinion with anything concrete from the games, and your opinion seemingly (barring some evidence I'm not aware of) directly contradicts the actual events of both games, you can't really complain when people are dismissive of what you had to say.

I have not complained about anyone who's been dismissive of my opinion. The only things I "complained" about was not wanting to get into an argument over P4 friendship vs. P3 friendship and disagreeing that I tried to pass off my opinion as fact.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#96Minatokun13Posted 12/7/2012 6:46:23 PM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
P3's cast just has way too many unlikable people. Ken and Yukari are both terrible and throw off the dynamic. I don't care if they're "FLAWED REAL PEOPLE", but I'm playing a game to enjoy the characters. Same goes for Junpei. I don't care if it's "realistic", it's annoying when he starts whining and being a dick to the MC about stuff that's not even his fault. When their "REAL PEOPLE FLAWS" get in the way of me enjoying the game, that's when it's bad. I also don't feel much of a connection if any between most of the characters.

Though I do love Aigis and Shinji.

P4 I love everyone, their interactions and look forward to every cutscene to see them interact.

I agree that P3 has unlikable characters, especially Ken, but I loved both Yukari and Junpei. I couldn't stand Fuuka, and was indifferent to Shinji though.
#97Strain42Posted 12/7/2012 6:52:51 PM
This is my thing with the Persona 3 cast vs. the Persona 4 cast

Ken is my least favorite Persona 3 character...

...and yet I still prefer him over certain P4 characters that I consider myself neutral towards (such as Chie and Yukiko)

Yosuke is not only my least favorite Persona 4 character, but my second least favorite MegaTen character of all time (the only person below him is Midori from Devil Survivor, and Yosuke only managed to crawl above her because I find him less detestable in Arena)

P3 really has only a couple characters that I like (Aigis, Koromaru, Junpei) only one character I don't like (Ken) and the rest I'm pretty neutral towards with them leaning towards positives.

Where P4 has only one character that I really like (Kanji, and note that I like him more than any P3 character) one character I really dislike (Yosuke) and then everyone else kinda teeters between things I like and more things I dislike.

So it's close, but if every character was award some sort of point value, P3 would come out ahead based on the overall average.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#98ShybaasonPosted 12/7/2012 6:55:53 PM
Minatokun13 posted...
once P3's MC left, half of them went back to avoiding each other like the plague, while P4's cast still regularly hung out with each other.

that's more because the P4 Cast becomes friends/were friends P3 cast is more about ridiculous amounts of Loyalty to P3MC and without him they have no reason to stick together (which is why the join forces again in The answer cause HEY HES THE FOCUS AGAIN) at least that's how i see it <_<.
Mitsuru and Akihiko (and Aigis for obvious reasons) were the only ones to actually seem like friends and it shows in Arena where those 3 are the only ones who actually show up (minus the unknowns)
#99TluhdatsiPosted 12/7/2012 7:25:52 PM(edited)
There's a couple of other details being left out in the discussion of the P4 characters becoming instant friends. It's not just that they're rescued and fully accepted with all their flaws...

These kids are lonely. Chie and Yosuke are kind of nerdy. Yukiko is always working. Kanji is a trouble-maker. Rise is a celebrity. Naoto is always pretending to be something else. All these things are obstacles in the way of making friends. They don't have any other social obligations. And they're teenagers, so the idea of finding their place and being accepted is the most important thing in the world to them.

And they get superpowers from the experience! It's like a secret club, where they can hang out with these awesome superpowered kids who saved them, and accepted them with all their flaws, and they get to go out and save other people from the same predicament!

Purpose. Acceptance. Community. Friendship. Power. You give all those things to a lonely teenager, while also saving his life, and the question becomes, why wouldn't he immediately want to be your best friend?
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)
#100Boomerang78Posted 12/7/2012 7:26:11 PM
Persona 4's cast blows Persona 3's cast out of the god damn water in every possible aspect.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yD9N0.gif