What is the point of registering personas?

#1Majin LegacyPosted 12/6/2012 8:02:10 PM
New to the series and a good 20 hours in and have played around with fusing personas, but am still not sure what registering them does. The tutorials aren't all that clear to me, so could someone explain?

Also what should I be doing between dungeons with all my personas? Every new dungeon seems to have a new set of personas I can find. Am I supposed to fuse them as I get them?
#2falugalobPosted 12/6/2012 8:03:35 PM
So you can buy them back later if you fuse them. Or to get them back in newgame+
---
PSN:Falugalob
#3SS_RagnarokPosted 12/6/2012 8:03:38 PM
Registering them simply records the persona in that current state into your compendium so that if you fuse it away or discard it, you can resummon it exactly how you had it.
---
Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they're on drugs.
#4thompsontalker7Posted 12/6/2012 8:03:46 PM
All Personas you obtain are automatically recorded in the Compendium, but if you level up current Personas or give them new moves, that change won't be recognized in the Compendium until you register them.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
Owning white sneakers are like raising a kid, they all end up corrupted if you're not careful.
#5Majin Legacy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 8:06:53 PM
thompsontalker7 posted...
All Personas you obtain are automatically recorded in the Compendium, but if you level up current Personas or give them new moves, that change won't be recognized in the Compendium until you register them.

Ah, didn't know they were automatically recorded. Thanks.

What do people generally do with the new personas they "farm"?
#6HoIlywoodPosted 12/6/2012 8:10:45 PM
Majin Legacy posted...
thompsontalker7 posted...

Ah, didn't know they were automatically recorded. Thanks.

What do people generally do with the new personas they "farm"?

Use them to register other new ones

Not sure if you typo'd but the game doesn't record them automatically if they level up or change skills, you must re-register them
---
PSN: Ahkiva
#7falugalobPosted 12/6/2012 8:11:06 PM
Fusion fodder like you said. Just fuse away and it's a good idea to try to get all of them cause later when you reach higher levels of fusion that requires specific personas, it's nice to find out you already got a few of them in the compendium.
---
PSN:Falugalob
#8Strain42Posted 12/6/2012 8:12:24 PM
I got a Kaiwan with Victory Cry, everything I have ever fused from it has been registered so my compendium is full of random Persona that just have Victory Cry.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#9RikkettikPosted 12/6/2012 8:19:29 PM
As for what you should do with your personae outside of the dungeons: use them for your social links. If you initiate a link and you have a persona that goes with that link (such as Jack Frost of the Magician arcana for Yosuke's 'Magician' social link) you'll get bonus points for choosing the right answers. And the more points you get, the less time it will take to max the link, essentially giving you more time to spend on other stuff (such as other links or increasing your stats).

So after you're done with a dungeon, take a look at your persona 'deck' and the social links you want to do the coming days. Try to get the right personae for that.

And yeah, try to fuse your personae as much as possible. The cards you win after battle are very basic -- no extra levels or extra skills. By fusing, you can let the resulting persona inherit skills and gain extra levels depending on the strength of your corresponding social link, making them much more useful in battle.

The cards you receive after battle are mostly just there to get your persona 'deck' full again and giving you extra fusion options.
#10Majin Legacy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 8:25:42 PM
Very helpful, thanks!

When fusing, are there different tiers of persona - of the same type?