Which SMT and Persona games are worth playing?

#1alienfreaks04Posted 12/6/2012 8:41:04 PM
This is my first SMT or Persona game. I am loving it over 30 hours in.
Which SMT games are best?
And I've heard Persona 3 is great. How is it compared to 4?
---
My signature is better than yours.
#2Azure_FlamePosted 12/6/2012 8:45:44 PM(edited)
Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are two of the ones I've heard great things about. If you want another portable experience, Devil Survivor (or the Overclocked version for the 3DS) and Devil Survivor 2 are both rather good. But I'd start with Nocturne if you want a really good story (although, how it compares to P4's story is something I cannot personally say).
---
"[Gravity Rush] is like losing your virginity; sometimes you won't know what you're doing, it's over way too quick and it's totally amazing!" -CBrate
#3Skull007o_OPosted 12/6/2012 8:50:43 PM
Nocturne is much darker, apocalyptic maybe, but it's awesome, and a great challenge. The game is not hard if you're prepared, but actually, that's the problem, nocturne is really unpredictable at times, and it punishes you for doing things wrong (hell, even one mistake can lead you to a certain death), the story is cool, especially the true demon path, but the character development isn't as heavy as the one in P4. The press turn system is awesome, BTW.

DDS is also good, it uses the same system as nocturne, but there's a few changes here and there. The story is good too, though I didn't like the ending of DDS2, but oh well...
#4KGTriggerPosted 12/6/2012 8:52:21 PM
Nocturne. One of the best games I've played.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089; Steam: Joben
#5AlekxanderPosted 12/6/2012 9:01:44 PM
alienfreaks04 posted...
This is my first SMT or Persona game. I am loving it over 30 hours in.
Personal opinion time!~

Persona 3 - Slightly better story, slightly worse gameplay than Persona 4. (Persona 3 FES for PS2 or Persona 3 Portable for PSP**)
Digital Devil Saga 1&2 - Fantastic games, highly recommended if you can track them down. (Both for PS2)
SMT: Nocturne - Cult favorite, recommended if you enjoy a challenge. (For PS2)
Devil Summoner 1&2 - Action RPG take on the SMT series with a bit of a pulp noir feel about a detective in early 1900s Japan. (Both again for PS2)
Devil Survivor 1&2 - Strategy RPG version of SMT where your actions determine who lives and dies. Pretty enjoyable series, my 3rd favorite behind Persona and Digital Devil Saga. (Both for Nintendo DS. First one re-released as "Overclocked" for 3DS with extra content)

A lot of people will probably mention Persona 2, but I never really got into it when I played waaaay back in the day on the PS1. But it is available now for the PSP**

**Can be purchased on PSN and played on the Vita.
#6DaKingOPosted 12/6/2012 9:03:24 PM
SMT: Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4....I'm assuming you've played this
SMT: Devil Survivor/Overclocked
SMT: Devil Survivor 2
SMT: Devil Summoner 2
---
Disgaea 3, now in Laharl mode............................lol
#7RikkettikPosted 12/6/2012 9:10:57 PM
Persona 3 is great, but may feel a bit dated compared to Persona 4, especially the console versions. The story is awesome though, if a bit dark.

I can also recommend Devil Survivor and its sequel, although they don't play like Persona at all. They're more like tactical RPG's. Both have great storylines, dealing with what is basically the end of the world. The first Devil Survivor leans more towards cynicism while the sequel feels more optimistic and idealistic.

Oh, and the first Devil Survivor has two versions: the original for the DS and Overclocked for the 3DS. I recommend Overclocked, as it is basically for Devil Survivor what The Golden is for Persona 4.
#8NashtheLionPosted 12/6/2012 9:18:08 PM
I have my PS2 around for three games I always go back to.

SMT: Nocturne
Dragon Quest VIII
Merceneries: Playground of Destruction

Don't ask me why, I just adore those games.

More OT: It's just a crazy-cool-dark rpg that starts with the World ending. Not much of a spoiler as it happens about 10 minutes into it. :)
The fusion system is pretty much spot on to P4. You get a constantly changing sun/moon that affects skills, fusions and rewards. It really is interesting.

Also, the way you customize your MC and monster team makes the game really feel like your own. I always make a variation of a glass cannon power Mage.
I dork out on that game big time.

The music is the best in this installment. Just my opinion.
---
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit. - Bill Hicks
#9ROsocoolPosted 12/6/2012 9:33:32 PM
Nocturne.
#10BrightShield786Posted 12/6/2012 9:59:52 PM

Persona 4/Golden, Devil Survivor 2, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment are the best ones by far.

It's got absolutely nothing on 4. I would say that Persona 2 fares much better against 4 than 3 does.
---
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones