Kanji worth taking with?

#41Yuji KaidoPosted 12/9/2012 2:45:42 AM
Both Kanji and Chie are better than Yosuke.

Pffft. So you never used him. Got it.
Yosuke can Heal, buff, debuff, do high physical AND magical damage. He's a jack of all trades master of some character.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
"Death's embrace awaits !!!" - Evil Ryu
#42synthetiksinPosted 12/9/2012 2:50:27 AM
Problem with Yosuke is that others could do what he does but better. He's well rounded as a character but when you have a dedicated healer/support and physical, you would just need a magician which is pretty much Naoto or the MC. Not saying he's bad cause he rounds off the original four quite nicely, especially since he's really the only one with amazing wind spells.
#43your_mom1Posted 12/9/2012 2:52:13 AM
returnal posted...
Yosuke is pretty useful in battle... Wind caster, Masukakaja, Dekaja and Brave Blade if he needs it.

Chie and Kanji overlap a little since they're both physical. I'd much rather have Kanji in a boss battle, though.

edit: But use whoever you want... Especially if you're playing on normal or below.

They're both good. But Kanji's buffs made him better then Chie for boss fights, since he has Masukunda and Power Charge. Plus, Regenerate 3, which means he casts Primal Force (stronger then God's Hand) for less HP then Chie. Plus, dat ATK.
#44Silfurbor_NeglaPosted 12/9/2012 3:02:02 AM
synthetiksin posted...
Problem with Chie's Dance of the Dragon is the high cost is a little bit more than half her SP at level 99, so unless you dump an SP per turn acc on her (lol) it requires some kind of item/rise supply to use again. The skill is holy crap great though. Dance of the Dragons + Power Charge + Agne or Godhand = devastating as ****. Followed up with Dance of the Dragons + Power Charge + Yoshi Tobi = holy crap amounts of damage.

OT, Kanji is a great physical character, his elemental prowess is crap, whereas Chie is a great/good physical with mediocre/not crap elemental powers. Since he has power charge now, his physicals are much more powerful.

Chakra ring on chie and stock some melon, you can spam dragon hustle without worrying about her sp, and most ilkely you will only use dragon hustlr spam on last boss or the secret boss anyway so you dont need to worry about spamming full sp recover item

And iirc kanji element hit harder than chie since he got -dyne skill

Gameplay-wise kanji is better than chie imo, he learn masukunda early, it help a lot on boss battle, later he also learn matarukaja to buff the party, and at end game he can dish out huge damage using power charge and primal force, not to mention he has the highest hp growth
Chie on the other hand, cant do buff/debuff like kanji, lower hp, weaker element (she dont have -dyne), the only good thing about her is all target phys skill (which only good for normal encounter) and dragon hustle (end game only)

But any party composition will work just fine, MC can balance the party with his 12 persona, dont worry too much about it, just use the one you like
---
Where is heaven? Above the sky, and below your feet.
#45synthetiksinPosted 12/9/2012 3:17:54 AM
Silfurbor_Negla posted...
Chakra ring on chie and stock some melon, you can spam dragon hustle without worrying about her sp, and most ilkely you will only use dragon hustlr spam on last boss or the secret boss anyway so you dont need to worry about spamming full sp recover item

And iirc kanji element hit harder than chie since he got -dyne skill

Gameplay-wise kanji is better than chie imo, he learn masukunda early, it help a lot on boss battle, later he also learn matarukaja to buff the party, and at end game he can dish out huge damage using power charge and primal force, not to mention he has the highest hp growth
Chie on the other hand, cant do buff/debuff like kanji, lower hp, weaker element (she dont have -dyne), the only good thing about her is all target phys skill (which only good for normal encounter) and dragon hustle (end game only)

But any party composition will work just fine, MC can balance the party with his 12 persona, dont worry too much about it, just use the one you like

What I meant is that it takes about 5 sp to recast Dance which is basically a super tease in which you can't redo it again unless you use an acc that you shouldn't be using or wasting a turn to get 5 sp.

Problem with Kanji is he has quite possibly the crappiest Mag growth (.5 as much as Chie, actually). So Ziodyne and Elec amp is good but it's pretty much trying to level with Chie's magic and taking up an extra slot. So they come out about the same in terms of magic but at the price of an extra slot. It really all comes down to less damaging single physical with potential high damaging aoe vs super high damaging single.

Meaning preference.
#46Yuji KaidoPosted 12/9/2012 3:33:29 AM
synthetiksin posted...
Problem with Yosuke is that others could do what he does but better. He's well rounded as a character but when you have a dedicated healer/support and physical, you would just need a magician which is pretty much Naoto or the MC. Not saying he's bad cause he rounds off the original four quite nicely, especially since he's really the only one with amazing wind spells.

That's a fair assessment. Still, I feel he is the only character who can really balance all of those skillsets without having his effectiveness suffer for it.

Them giving Naoto both high level wind and fire spells does make her more viable this time around. So I'm sure because of this I will end up substituting Teddie for Yukiko to keep the party balanced magic wise cuz Brosuke never leaves the party.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
"Death's embrace awaits !!!" - Evil Ryu
#47synthetiksinPosted 12/9/2012 3:45:29 AM
From what I can tell about Naoto, she does have wind and fire but she doesn't have hit all magic (aside from almighty), has no support, and isn't as tanky.

Running with brosuke gives you the chance to customize your MC leaning towards physical ala Yoshi, since responsibilities are spread out more. Which is a great tradeoff imo. It's the reason why I wouldn't think twice about adding him to my team.
#48xWantPosted 12/9/2012 4:55:20 AM
I could never part with Brosuke but Kanji str is ridicliously high. He's very good for boss battles and Chie does great for Gold Hand Hunting and normal encounters. I feel as though Naoto's ATK is lacking.

Brosuke = Heal , Debuff, Buff, Decent Str, Wind Boost + Wind Amp Wind Spells, Dat Youthful Wind.

Brosuke never leaves...
---
Currently Playing : P2,P4 Golden, Ragnarok and All Stars
PSN : AntiGenjou
#49natchu96Posted 12/9/2012 5:33:09 AM
So, question from someone who has yet to play P4: what's the verdict on Chie vs Kanji? Kanji's unique skill (chance to stun, you guys are saying) seems more for crowd control, while Chie's is definitely usable against bosses. However, Kanji being as single-target as he seems, makes more sense for bosses overall than Chie O_0

Elements don't even matter really, since you have 12 freakin' personas on your MC (more than enough for physical+all elements of magic nuking, plus healing to boot). It's the general tactic the party member plays by with their skillset taken into consideration.
---
Official Lopunny of the Black 2 Boar . . . wait, how did THAT happen?!?
#50synthetiksinPosted 12/9/2012 5:50:19 AM(edited)
The Kanji vs Chie debate had Chie ahead originally because of Kanji's lack of power charge which meant he spent twice as much HP to do just a little more than Chie's. Now it's about even because Kanji got some much needed buffs.

Overall though, I would say they are tied. Dragon Dance is a pretty neat but costly special for Chie rounding her off much better than Kanji's. Also, elemental powers from teammates does matter to some people. Some might main personas that can't fill the elemental gap.

In terms of Kanji vs Chie, it's about the same but Kanji requires a slot filled to come close to hers. This is the reason why making a team is great in this game, there isn't a character that's actually worse than others but the roster is unique enough where characters are better in some situation than others. Personally, Chie is better for dungeon crawling while Kanji is better for boss killing.

My two cents.

Oh, and stun is not a big deal. It's probably one of the least "potent" status effect, what's nice about some of Kanji's moves is that they do more damage to downed enemies and dizzying them means they are downed longer.