Why is there even a dispute on Kanji's sexuality?

#1finaleusPosted 12/17/2012 2:52:19 AM
This is probably a topic that's been repeated to death over the years, but I thought I'd come in and say that I'm 99% sure he's gay. At least for the most part. So why are people so defiant against the idea of it?

Note that before I get into this, masculinity has no weight for either side of the argument. Kanji is not gay because of his shadow/love of stereotypical girl things, and he is not straight because he's simply manly with a few odd hobbies. I know many masculine men that like men, and extremely feminine men that are confident in their heterosexuality... so I don't think it matters either way.

I think the best way to prove my point is to explain the arguments against it, so I'll just get into the popular ones that I've seen around youtube/etc:

1 - "kanji is straight becuz i m homophobe / kanji is gay because im fangirl"

Good for you. Now, how about we look at this from an unbiased, logical perspective.

2 - "Kanji likes Naoto, so he's OBVIOUSLY not gay"

Well, ask any confident heterosexual man this. If you met a woman you found yourself rather attracted to, only to later find out she was actually a guy, would you suddenly say, 'well, I guess I'm gay now, since I fell for another man after all'? Nope, didn't think so. From their first interactions, Kanji specifically identified Naoto as a male, and yet he went and spent time with her(him?) anyway. Doesn't sound very straight to me.

My guess as to why his emotions remained is because gay men can have strong emotional (and sometimes romantic) attractions to women. Infatuation and lust are separate things, you can love without wanting to do it. Sexuality isn't black or white, either. But even if Kanji likes her as a girl SEXUALLY, and not just romantically... there's no denying that he wanted to bone her when she was a 'he'. ;D

3 - "Kanji's shadow was only gay because he was embarassed of his feminine side, he's actually straight / When he said 'the other me is me' in reference to his shadow, he meant he liked feminine things."

If Kanji really was just afraid of people rejecting him for his 'girly' qualities, his shadow would've simply been feminine to the max. That wasn't the case. There's a reason they chose to make his shadow a sex-crazed man in a gay bathhouse. And aside from the voice (which had more to do with exaggerating his sexuality, rather than being feminine), there is nothing girly about that. So how does Kanji identifying with a promiscuous homosexual mean he 'just has stereotypcial women interests'? The only answer would be that one of those interests is having naked fun with men, am I right?

Oh, and to those people who say, 'they defeated the gay in him by killing his shadow'... NO. Did you even pay attention to the storyline at all? 100% wrong there.

4 - "Kanji didn't say he was gay, he said he liked girls."

Actually, he did say so. Accepting your other self as you after a boss fight is pretty much the repeated theme of the game. Then, he also confesses indirectly (in his social link, for example), and he continues to contemplate throughout the game. He only tries to prove he likes girls around Yosuke because Yosuke is a homophobic idiot.

Whether he's sexually attracted to women or not (up for debate, honestly), I believe Kanji likes men... and he likes them enough for it to be a problem he can't shrug off.

Anyway, that's my take. If my logic is flawed somewhere, feel free to call me out on it. I'm off to bed :P
#2Raven236Posted 12/17/2012 2:54:37 AM
They handled him better in the anime...

Truth be told he is not Gay, his is just unsure how others view him.

He looks tough and all but really is a nice guy who tries to help others.(finish his social links)
---
PSN ID: Raven236 / N3DS FC: 1590-4697-4287
SSFIV Main: Sakura
#3MidgardDragon99Posted 12/17/2012 2:57:07 AM(edited)
I wanted Kanji to be unambiguosly gay very much, but that's not what the game suggests. And I believe the way it is presented with it being something he, as a young person who still figuring things out, struggles with, is much more realistic and relatable. When Kanji saw Naoto he liked "him" and thought he might be gay. When he discovered Naoto was "her" he still liked her. Is it possible that Kanji could like other guys in the future? He was open to the possibility so yes. But right now it os clear he has a huge crush on Naoto and he knows she is she, so he is not flat out undeniably gay. Is has nothing to do with homophobia, the game represents him as someone struggling with what he is, in many ways. Kanji is Kanji.
---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon
#4MidgardDragon99Posted 12/17/2012 2:58:26 AM
Raven236 posted...
They handled him better in the anime...

Truth be told he is not Gay, his is just unsure how others view him.

He looks tough and all but really is a nice guy who tries to help others.(finish his social links)

Flat out denial is as unhelpful as flat out refusal to accept that he isn't gay, Kanji might be gay, he might be bi, he himself doesn't really seem to know yet, and given that he is, what, 15? that's not really surprising. It's a question lots of 15 year olds often don't have figured out yet.
---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon
#5ConMan8Posted 12/17/2012 2:58:55 AM
I'm trying to figure out why people think his sexuality actually matters at all.
#6ImASadPandaPosted 12/17/2012 3:03:11 AM
For me, the whole Shadow portrayal of Kanji being gay was a way to reference that sometimes, gays are afraid of being rejected, NOT that he is exactly gay - but that they used that message to convey Kanji's message. Just as Rise isn't actually a stripper or wants to be one, but that her shadow was trying to convey that she tried to "strip" all the other "Rise's" to find one true Rise, when in fact, all those Rise's were her.. SO they used "being gay" as a way of conveying that he hates being rejected by females AND males, which gays usually are. from my experience talking to my gay cousins, is how they felt at first.

In any case, the whole Kanji debate is stupid, the reason they don't directly address it, is to leave it to what we think he is, finding an exact answer would just ruin Kanji, as IMO - the whole point of Kanji was not about whether he was gay or not, but rather - accepting him, for him, not for his sexual orientation.
#7HoIlywoodPosted 12/17/2012 3:06:41 AM
I think they deny he's gay because they're uncomfortable that their favorite character is gay, he's not your typical gay character(usually they're smart and witty, not dumb funny brutes). So they say he's just confused and just wants to be accepted.

I say his shadow is proof he's gay. Shadows are a part of the person and represent a side of them they hide from other people. What more proof do you need?
---
PSN: Ahkiva
#8Itachi157Posted 12/17/2012 3:08:05 AM
Oh, and to those people who say, 'they defeated the gay in him by killing his shadow'... NO

lmfao

people say this?
---
I don't like Naruto.
#9heyitsthatguy11Posted 12/17/2012 3:09:34 AM
Oh lord... nope, not doing this again.
---
Square Enix, create a sequel to TWEWY. You have 3 years. Fail and face erasure. - The Fanbase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjf48W3Dg98
#10finaleus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2012 3:13:57 AM
Itachi157 posted...
Oh, and to those people who say, 'they defeated the gay in him by killing his shadow'... NO

lmfao

people say this?
Well, I don't know if a lot of people say it, but I'm positive I saw something along the lines of that on youtube the other day.

I also saw a top comment that said Kanji's shadow acted gay because he thought he'd be accepted if he acted that way... and so i've pretty much given up on all hope for them.