Battle of the Babes P4G Finals(for realz): Rise vs. Naoto

#61KuroKizunaPosted 12/21/2012 4:31:39 PM
Naoto won!? What!? I went to bed thinking Marie would win!

Whoop whoop! Go Naoto!
---
PSN ID: XKizunaxGurenX
Previously "UltimateOTK7"
#62Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/21/2012 4:32:56 PM
synthetiksin posted...
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
Naoto WON!! Woohoo!!! How did that happen???

Naoto. Sorry Rise, you're a Slice of Life cast of girls battling over one guy cliche who comes off too strong while trying to be cute. And beyond your dungeon + S.Link, you act as nothing more then a pretty face for fanservice.

Naoto is just a cliched trap that spouts OBVIOUS information with big boobs and a twelve year old boy's backside. This is like voting for a US president for almost ten years now.

Obvious information I won't deny. But she has development during the "you just think it's a game" scene, the club scene in Port Island, her dungeon, and her S.Link.

Rise, after her dungeon and outside her S.Link, is a complete fanservice cliche. And obviously the fanservice worked, because she is in the final round with a character that Japanese media rarely gives any kind of light of day (an intelligent woman who makes men look stupid, who must accept that being a woman is NOT a ticket to inferiority).
#63HarvestrOfSoulsPosted 12/21/2012 4:34:46 PM
WiiFan77 posted...
Rise is the worst character in P3/P4. Even worse than Ken and Fuuka.

>Comparing a one dimensional flirt with stalker-in-the-making tendencies with a character whose immaturity and stupidity directly lead to the death (or coma) of one the more interesting characters in the previous game.

I am not crazy about Rise, but she never inspired a desire in me to inflict bodily harm on her. I cannot say the same for Ken.
---
PSN ID: Berselius
XBOX LIVE ID: HarvestrOfSouls
#64synthetiksinPosted 12/21/2012 4:39:24 PM
....with a character that Japanese media rarely gives any kind of light of day (an intelligent woman who makes men look stupid, who must accept that being a woman is NOT a ticket to inferiority).

What are you serious? This has been happening since the 80's (maybe earlier), it's almost as cliched as the tsundere chicks.

Although admittedly, one of my favorite characters is one of these chicks (Haru Usami from G-Senjou No Maou)
#65Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/21/2012 4:42:51 PM
Everyone, I praise that Naoto is in the finals. I'm delighted to see there are so many people who believe that women shouldn't be seen as inferior just because of their gender. I am not saying Rise fans are the complete opposite side of the spectrum, but what she represents is near that very same end. Overly sexualized, pining for the main character at every turn, she is a cliche and trope for what every man supposedly would want.

She is smart, I won't deny that, but her fanservice tropes outweigh her better qualities and I cannot allow myself to be okay with this. Is she hotter? You bet she is. But my choices as far as romantic interest go beyond simple sexual attraction. A girl who is misunderstood and belittled despite at heart being superior in mind, are who I find fitting to be my choice for romance.
#66WiiFan77Posted 12/21/2012 4:43:58 PM
HarvestrOfSouls posted...
I am not crazy about Rise, but she never inspired a desire in me to inflict bodily harm on her. I cannot say the same for Ken.

Well, Ken certainly did the worst for everyone in the story, and did inspire some sincere hatred. I won't deny that. But in terms of their personality and how annoying they are, I found that Rise killed everything much more than Ken managed to. Every time she spoke in any non-serious scene, I wanted to tell her to GTFO. And the same was only true to Ken half the time.
---
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#67Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/21/2012 4:45:09 PM
synthetiksin posted...
....with a character that Japanese media rarely gives any kind of light of day (an intelligent woman who makes men look stupid, who must accept that being a woman is NOT a ticket to inferiority).

What are you serious? This has been happening since the 80's (maybe earlier), it's almost as cliched as the tsundere chicks.

Although admittedly, one of my favorite characters is one of these chicks (Haru Usami from G-Senjou No Maou)

Not nearly as much as Rise's character. Every other anime (if that little) has a character with a personality like hers. And if you have the names of these so called anime, then be my guest because I'd love to check them out.
#68FScellPosted 12/21/2012 4:45:22 PM
Everyone, I praise that Naoto is in the finals. I'm delighted to see there are so many people who believe that women shouldn't be seen as inferior just because of their gender.

I think you're giving the people voting in this, and their reasons, substantially more credit than is warranted...
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#69HarvestrOfSoulsPosted 12/21/2012 4:50:47 PM(edited)
FScell posted...
Everyone, I praise that Naoto is in the finals. I'm delighted to see there are so many people who believe that women shouldn't be seen as inferior just because of their gender.

I think you're giving the people voting in this, and their reasons, substantially more credit than is warranted...

I concur. To wit, the name of this competition is and always has been "Battle of the Babes." While I am sure that a set portion of her fans are voting for her with the qualities you mentioned in mind, I do not think it would be a stretch to state that the majority of the voters probably have more...base reasons for giving her their vote.
---
PSN ID: Berselius
XBOX LIVE ID: HarvestrOfSouls
#70Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/21/2012 4:51:00 PM
FScell posted...

You're probably right. I'm not saying their reasoning is exactly the same as mine, but I'm still glad to see she is so close to Rise in the poll. It also doesn't mean that there aren't a fair share who believe the same as I do.