I get that P4 is ultimely the better game, but I still like P3 a bit more

#11MoonlightJustPosted 12/29/2012 7:07:24 AM
P4, but its so close its not funny. I think both games are fantastic. P3 MC wins more cool points for being able to use whatever weapon he dang well pleases, though.
#12Quiet_NoisePosted 12/29/2012 7:18:19 AM
Some scattered light "spoilers" throughout. They're mainly vague references, hopefully vague enough that you won't fully understand if you haven't played and beaten both games.

With that said, P3.

The very fact that the majority of posters talk about how they DON'T like every character, and that there's emotional boundaries...that's real life, folks. You do not meet strangers and instantly click with them most of the time. If you were in SEES or the Investigation Team and you recruited someone/saved their life, chances are you would have a common mutual gratitude -- the other for giving you an exciting purpose in life, and them for obviously having been saved -- but not have a compatible relationship.

P3's cast felt like work peers, because that's basically what they were. It was pretty evident that Mitsuru wouldn't have bothered talking to ANY of them had they not been partners in SEES. Her and Yukari have to agonize and work for MONTHS to find common ground.

Let's not even get into the tone; the most horrifying thing that happens to the P4 cast is immediately "fixed." Life goes on and everyone's happy. P3 has situations like the one I'm talking about by the handful, and you can "fix" t hem depending on the version you play, but The Answer reveals that those choices aren't cannon.

P3 meant a lot more, and put its characters to the ultimate test.

P4 was much, much funnier, the dialogue was better, the characters were indeed more universally likeable. . . but I find those flaws in P3 to be charming.

I will agree that both games are fantastic, and that my opinion is probably the minority, but I'm okay with that. Everyone appreciates things differently.
#13PhantasyStar23Posted 12/29/2012 7:50:42 AM
I hate P3 with a passion because of the plot pacing, in which you get an awesome intro, and then nothing happens until the end. Also, there was literally only 1 Social Link that I enjoyed (that terminally ill guy). Didn't care much for any of the characters either (Akihiko's clueless-ness is very cute when you play as FeMC though). There's something about the entire cast that makes them very dry, but I really do appreciate the mature atmosphere.

In P4, I felt that there was never any downtime, (interesting) stuff was constantly happening, and this time, 2 Social Links stuck out to me (Kanji's and Naoki's). As opposed to P3's mature atmosphere though, P4 was a lot more adolescent with the whole "friendship" and "searching for the truth together" themes, which really clashed with the mature stuff going on with the murder case and awkward stripper dances. This really could have passed off as a very dark Teen game with the right execution, but whatever. The adolescent nature wasn't really a bad thing though, it's better than a depressing one, but the dialogue suffers a lot during scenes where EVERY SINGLE PARTY MEMBER needs to contribute to the dialogue and basically repeat what the other person said. Also, no Tartarus. Gameplay didn't change too much from P3, but c'mon....no Tartarus, that's great news in my opinion.

I also enjoy that the characters in P4 had their own ambitions. The group formed because of a single goal, to solve the murder case. In P3, it was more like a job, an obligation.

Both games have their pros and cons, but I prefer P4 way way waaaayyyyy more than P3 for both game design and narrative.
---
GT: PhantazyStar | PSN: PhantasyStar23
Japanese Dubs: Raw passion | English Dubs: Actual personality
#14MidgardDragon99Posted 12/29/2012 8:36:08 AM
P3 has a ton of really really boring and mostly boring characters (except Aigis) and then a fantastic ending.

P4 has largely likable characters and a consistently interesting plot and character stories that doesn't quite add up to as much of a great ending.

I'd much rather have the great journey than the great ending, thus P4 wins.
---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon
#15KaiKun91Posted 12/29/2012 9:12:14 AM
For me, P4 cast stands out a little more. Aigis, Mitsuru, MC, Akihiko is really the only one that really stand out. You could make the case for junpei, yukari and the rest.
#16Tayo2345Posted 12/29/2012 9:14:24 AM
Better gameplay automatically makes 4 leagues better than 3.
---
I don't care what you say, Generation II sucks.
That's just my opinion, no matter how true it may be.
#17NoelXYeulPosted 12/29/2012 9:32:29 AM
I know what you mean OP, I think P3 is a little bit more my style storywise. But both complement each other in a lot of ways.
---
Top 5 Hottest Cutest/Final Fantasy Girls IMO: Yuel>>Garnet>>Vanille>>Rikku>>Penelo
Top 3 Final Fantasies: XIII-2>IX>Tactics
#18VertaniusPosted 12/29/2012 9:40:12 AM
P3 stared mid-high for me and by the end it was very high. P4 started very high for me and kept going down.

In the end I enjoyed both, but looking back I prefer P3.
#19Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 9:53:40 AM
Quiet_Noise posted...
Some scattered light "spoilers" throughout. They're mainly vague references, hopefully vague enough that you won't fully understand if you haven't played and beaten both games.

With that said, P3.

The very fact that the majority of posters talk about how they DON'T like every character, and that there's emotional boundaries...that's real life, folks. You do not meet strangers and instantly click with them most of the time. If you were in SEES or the Investigation Team and you recruited someone/saved their life, chances are you would have a common mutual gratitude -- the other for giving you an exciting purpose in life, and them for obviously having been saved -- but not have a compatible relationship.

P3's cast felt like work peers, because that's basically what they were. It was pretty evident that Mitsuru wouldn't have bothered talking to ANY of them had they not been partners in SEES. Her and Yukari have to agonize and work for MONTHS to find common ground.

Let's not even get into the tone; the most horrifying thing that happens to the P4 cast is immediately "fixed." Life goes on and everyone's happy. P3 has situations like the one I'm talking about by the handful, and you can "fix" t hem depending on the version you play, but The Answer reveals that those choices aren't cannon.

P3 meant a lot more, and put its characters to the ultimate test.

P4 was much, much funnier, the dialogue was better, the characters were indeed more universally likeable. . . but I find those flaws in P3 to be charming.

I will agree that both games are fantastic, and that my opinion is probably the minority, but I'm okay with that. Everyone appreciates things differently.

It's real for some, not others. But the respective games make sense to me regardless. The MC in P3 felt more distant and intentionally withdrawn, thus why he did not attempt any real kind of bonding with the cast until near the end. Fuuka was really the only one they had to save, and she felt immediately attached to everyone. Everyone else came together for one goal: To eliminate the Dark Hour so it makes sense they wouldn't band together too closely until the circumstances called for it. I.e. the game was intentionally manipulated this way, so it's not so much a flaw as it is just preference.

Even though I can see where people might prefer P3s rationale on character development, I still believe P4 did a much better job. As friends I think it makes sense: accept the worst in someone and you'll find people will become attached to you (even in real life). Problem is, these kinds of people (who see the worst and shrug it off) are very hard to find. As individulals it is even better. The characters are much more realistic as far as the average teenagers. Are they perfect? No. But most of the teenage characters (save Junpei and Yukari) in P3 didn't feel natural (ironic seeing as I hate Yukari and Junpei more then the others) at all. They seemed like modified versions of the more mature teen-aged anime character tropes. Indeed, in anime, teenagers seem awfully mature compared to what I experienced around me.

Quite possibly the most unbelievable is Ken. He's a grade schooler, but acts as though he is far older. Of course a child would be scarred by his mother's death right in front of him, but when was the last time you heard of someone his age plotting to kill the man responsible? When was the last time it actually happened? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
#20thehikikomoriPosted 12/29/2012 9:59:00 AM
MidgardDragon99 posted...
P3 has a ton of really really boring and mostly boring characters (except Aigis) and then a fantastic ending.

P4 has largely likable characters and a consistently interesting plot and character stories that doesn't quite add up to as much of a great ending.

I'd much rather have the great journey than the great ending, thus P4 wins.

Pretty much my exact thoughts when comparing the two games. P3 had a lot of characters I simply didn't like but the story towards the end really picked up. P4 had characters I liked for the most part but the ending felt like it was slapped together (P4G helps make the ending better but it still feels awkward).