I get that P4 is ultimely the better game, but I still like P3 a bit more

#31Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 10:21:25 AM
LiquidGaga posted...
P4 needs more Mitsuru

It doesn't need more Marin Karin, thank you.

The Mitsuru obsession makes no sense to me. As a character and nothing more, she's one of my favorites in P3. But could someone please explain? I'm guessing people think she's attractive, which she is, I just don't find her cute at all. I'm a sucker for cute over hot (if you know the difference).
#32retep_onePosted 12/29/2012 11:48:07 AM
in terms of just gameplay then persona 4 gets the nod
but in everything else is kinda hard to decide, both are really great and memorable
---
PSN: Spectre0415
war JDS 12/29/12
#33Strain42Posted 12/29/2012 11:55:22 AM
P3 gets my vote for both story and characters.

One of the things I actually liked about the P3 cast was because they weren't just the Best Friends Forever club. Some of them had friction, and for the most part they respected each other more than they actually liked each other.

When your plot is composed about a small group of people doing things that only they know about, internal drama is what helps to drive the plot and keep things interesting, I think that's why so much of P4's story had to be furthered by just irrelevant scenes of the group goofing off that usually ended with at least one character being humiliated, annoyed or beaten up.

Because the gang never really fought or disagreed, petty comedic squabbles were all they had (now note, I'm not saying this makes it bad, I'm not bashing P4 for this, it's just not my preferred method of story telling)

I liked the conflict, I liked that the characters didn't just have this unbreakable bond from the word Go, and I just liked the story itself overall.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#34bandyseachPosted 12/29/2012 12:13:52 PM
I definitely prefer Persona 3, too. While it's true that there are far more lulls in the story in 3 than 4 (especially now with Golden and its added events), I feel that Persona 3's story is tighter as each of the events that does happen ties back to the main story in some way.

I also agree that the SEES crew not becoming insta-friends like the Investigation Team is more interesting, and their more gradual friendship helps the characters to grow over the course of the main story and not just in their social links like P4.
#35termina_rzidentPosted 12/29/2012 1:24:35 PM
This may sound silly but Mitsuru is my favorite character out of both games simply because after completing her S. Link I felt like I had managed to cross a large gulf and connect with someone who at many points appeared to be unattainable as a true friend and/or romantic partner.

She wasn't exactly this ice queen but she had this quality about her that made her seem on a whole different level than you (part of it may come from treating the MC like a junior), and that you really had to put in your time to work in order to get her attention.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qHxe7.jpg
#36cold_spirit7Posted 12/29/2012 1:39:02 PM
What I think is the better game: P4 Golden

Which is my favorite: P3 FES

In terms of gameplay, P4 wins hands down. It's refined battle system and improved Social Link system make it fun and interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't just play games for their gameplay. I also love when a game has a good story, characters, and a focused theme. I enjoyed all those aspects more in P3.
#37Chr0noidPosted 12/29/2012 1:40:08 PM
I ****ing hate Mitsuru. You basically have to work your ass off just to get her interested and even then you have to wait until damn near the end of the game before you can max her social link. Ice queen....
---
Ut EGO obtutus in vestri eyes EGO teneo quis vicis est : viginti quinque preteritus infinitio
#38Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 1:42:07 PM
Strain42 posted...
P3 gets my vote for both story and characters.

One of the things I actually liked about the P3 cast was because they weren't just the Best Friends Forever club. Some of them had friction, and for the most part they respected each other more than they actually liked each other.

When your plot is composed about a small group of people doing things that only they know about, internal drama is what helps to drive the plot and keep things interesting, I think that's why so much of P4's story had to be furthered by just irrelevant scenes of the group goofing off that usually ended with at least one character being humiliated, annoyed or beaten up.

Because the gang never really fought or disagreed, petty comedic squabbles were all they had (now note, I'm not saying this makes it bad, I'm not bashing P4 for this, it's just not my preferred method of story telling)

I liked the conflict, I liked that the characters didn't just have this unbreakable bond from the word Go, and I just liked the story itself overall.

Your arguments have never made any sense. I have no quarrel with anyone who likes P3 over P4, so long as their arguments are true and relevant.

Their bond that eventually formed was just as sudden (world ending, okay we're in this together and best friends suddenly). It just happened later rather then sooner. Only difference is the abrupt friendships made sense in P4: WHAT ELSE DOES A PERSON HAVE TO DO AFTER ACCEPTING YOU AT YOUR WORST? That's what the best of friendships are based upon, and i know because I've seen them in real life. I don't understand why that is so hard for you to understand.

I am now playing through P3P to get a feel for the story again. In place of all the filler that you say P4 has, is absolutely nothing. Nothing happens all month while you're waiting for the full moon. There is no story to speak of really other then "kill all the large Shadows" until half way through the game. And I mean this: there is nothing to do. Just S.Links and visit the only generic dungeon there is, Tartarus.

The conflicts, both internal and external, were very generic. Parent and friend issues were the only ones that were really fleshed out. Yukari, Mitsuru, Junpei, and Ken all had the same conflict. That's terrible writing if every character has the same background. And what internal drama? There was barely ever any friction between everyone. The only real friction was the whole Ken thing. There was barely any drama to begin with. Again, NOTHING happened for half the game outside the full moons.

So based on my second playthrough of P3, I don't know where your claims are coming from.
#39Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 1:49:15 PM
cold_spirit7 posted...
What I think is the better game: P4 Golden

Which is my favorite: P3 FES

In terms of gameplay, P4 wins hands down. It's refined battle system and improved Social Link system make it fun and interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't just play games for their gameplay. I also love when a game has a good story, characters, and a focused theme. I enjoyed all those aspects more in P3.

The supposed theme of P3 was bonds. It WAS the game that introduced S.Links to Persona after all. Yet, when did you REALLY feel bonds were important? Not until the very end. That's poor writing when your newly introduced theme takes a backseat for most of the plot.

I was once an advocate that P3 was better written. Not anymore. I'm playing through it again, and for the most part nothing happens. Half the game is "defeat the giant Shadows" while the other half is dealing with generic internal conflicts (such as parent issues) and of course, the usual "save the world." In-between all this is nothing but S.Links and generic dungeon crawling (and only one dungeon to boot) with very little to really flesh out the characters and make them likable.
#40Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 1:55:11 PM
termina_rzident posted...
This may sound silly but Mitsuru is my favorite character out of both games simply because after completing her S. Link I felt like I had managed to cross a large gulf and connect with someone who at many points appeared to be unattainable as a true friend and/or romantic partner.

She wasn't exactly this ice queen but she had this quality about her that made her seem on a whole different level than you (part of it may come from treating the MC like a junior), and that you really had to put in your time to work in order to get her attention.

That's fair. I respect that you find working for your friendships to be admirable, and indeed it is.

It just escapes my comprehension when people say that P4 happened too suddenly. There is nothing more a person can do then accept you at your worst. What's more, is that everyone in that town was so bored they'd pick up anything and anyone just to have a good time.