I get that P4 is ultimely the better game, but I still like P3 a bit more

#41Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 1:59:53 PM
Fo_Fai posted...
I ****ing hate Mitsuru. You basically have to work your ass off just to get her interested and even then you have to wait until damn near the end of the game before you can max her social link. Ice queen....

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Her character arc made sense, and so her unwillingness to get close equally made sense. Again, Mitsuru is one of my favorite characters in P3 (maybe in all of Persona) because she didn't seem as generic as most of the other P3 cast.
#42CrimsonmistPosted 12/29/2012 2:05:40 PM(edited)
Strain42 posted...
Because the gang never really fought or disagreed, petty comedic squabbles were all they had (now note, I'm not saying this makes it bad, I'm not bashing P4 for this, it's just not my preferred method of story telling)

Apparently P4 never had the Nametame Hospital scene.

I get that P4's cast were more of less yes men (save for Naoto prior to joining as something of a mini-rival), but I'd rather have friends who are agreeable, who still manage to meet up at school despite being spread all across town, than have to deal with living in the same dorm as everyone, ALL of them hang out with each other in little cliques in the dorm at some points (like Yukari, Fuuka and Junpei talking on the second floor lounge: YOU ARE NOT INVITED)... we live in the same dorm and yet I am under assumption that outside of Yukari taking us to school once we never really travel together because I keep meeting Junpei approaching the school from the opposite end of the street despite the fact we are in the same class.

I get, that, the cast is dealing with this dark hour bull. That in normal circumstances most would never hang out with each other, but until P3P there is like no real effort on anyone's part to be anything but aloof. I can totally understand that personality if this was P1 which much like SMT If... or most SMT games in general the cast is thrust into an alternate demon world with little hope of escape and there is no time for socializing, or in P2 if the city is overrun by demons and other oddities. The Dark Hour, happens everynight yes, fine, but we're are neither at tartarus at all times, no do any of us ever actually really talk, so it's not as if P3's cast can never have an excuse to just have dinner, once.

Their trips are spent largely apart save for the beach which was basically a work vacation regardless to move along the plot and introduce a robot. Everything about the P3 cast prior to portable is business, and that would be fine if the Dark Hour actually was approached every single day, partly dependent on the player but the way the plot is presented it is highly unlikely they go to Tartarus every day of the year. I can buy Akihiko, Mitsuru, Ken and Shinjiro avoiding the MC like the plague being senior and acting overly superior (save for Ken who wouldn't have much to common with older people), the dog doesn't have much to offer, neither does the robot. But is it so horrible to expect that the members the MC's age who apparently have a grand old time with each other while he's gone I don't know... invite him to talk maybe perhaps?

To truncate this: P4's cast could have been bigger dicks and have Yosuke emulate Junpei and be aaalll mad that the MC gets to be the leader in title alone, someone can go on an anime trope revenge quest to rival Reiji Kido's pointless goals of killing someone because something. I'm glad they didn't go this route. P3 didn't need ALL your members to admire and love you, didn't need everyone to be a social link, but if Junpei is going to lie to me, tell me he's going to the store, and I find him staring at a fountain mumbling about finding a legendary sword... if noone here wants to bother being friends but then acts like they do during The Answer they had better at least shared a dinner at home with the MC at least once, played a video game, done SOMETHING that didn't involve an ulterior motive for work or were forced into by school (Hotel/Hotsprings) within the actual plot to feel the way any of them did.
---
I might make this my sig...
#43Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 2:08:56 PM
Crimsonmist posted...
Strain42 posted...
Because the gang never really fought or disagreed, petty comedic squabbles were all they had (now note, I'm not saying this makes it bad, I'm not bashing P4 for this, it's just not my preferred method of story telling)

Apparently P4 never had the Nametame Hospital scene.

I get that P4's cast were more of less yes men (save for Naoto prior to joining as something of a mini-rival), but I'd rather have friends who are agreeable, who still manage to meet up at school despite being spread all across town, than have to deal with living in the same dorm as everyone, ALL of them hang out with each other in little cliques in the dorm at some points (like Yukari, Fuuka and Junpei talking on the second floor lounge: YOU ARE NOT INVITED)... we live in the same dorm and yet I am under assumption that outside of Yukari taking us to school once we never really travel together because I keep meeting Junpei approaching the school from the opposite end of the street despite the fact we are in the same class.

I get, that, the cast is dealing with this dark hour bull. That in normal circumstances most would never hang out with each other, but until P3P there is like no real effort on anyone's part to be anything but aloof. I can totally understand that personality if this was P1 which much like SMT If... or most SMT games in general the cast is thrust into an alternate demon world with little hope of escape and there is no time for socializing, or in P2 if the city is overrun by demons and other oddities. The Dark Hour, happens everynight yes, fine, but we're are neither at tartarus at all times, no do any of us ever actually really talk, so it's not as if P3's cast can never have an excuse to just have dinner, once.

Their trips are spent largely apart save for the beach which was basically a work vacation regardless to move along the plot and introduce a robot. Everything about the P3 cast prior to portable is business, and that would be fine if the Dark Hour actually was approached every single day, partly dependent on the player but the way the plot is presented it is highly unlikely they go to Tartarus every day of the year. I can buy Akihiko, Mitsuru, Ken and Shinjiro avoiding the MC like the plague being senior and acting overly superior (save for Ken who wouldn't have much to common with older people), the dog doesn't have much to offer, neither does the robot. But is it so horrible to expect that the members the MC's age who apparently have a grand old time with each other while he's gone I don't know... invite him to talk maybe perhaps?

To truncate this: P4's cast could have been bigger dicks and have Yosuke emulate Junpei and be aaalll mad that the MC gets to be the leader in title alone, someone can go on an anime trope revenge quest to rival Reiji Kido's pointless goals of killing someone because something. I'm glad they didn't go this route. P3 didn't need ALL your members to admire and love you, didn't need everyone to be a social link, but if Junpei is going to lie to me, tell me he's going to the store, and I find him staring at a fountain mumbling about finding a legendary sword... if noone here wants to bother being friends but then acts like they do during The Answer they had better at least shared a dinner at home with the MC at least once, played a video game, done SOMETHING that didn't involve an ulterior motive for work or were forced into by school (Hotel/Hotsprings) to feel the way any of them did.

Thank you. Really, their friendships end game and in The answer were just as, if not more abrupt then in P4s.

How do you live with people for nearly a year that you DO talk to (it's not like they stayed separate, they were constantly downstairs in the same general area together), with nothing to do most of the time outside a single hour at night, and NOT become closer?
#44ColdFlamezPosted 12/29/2012 3:53:19 PM
I agree. P4 had much better gameplay mechanics, but the story and characters of 3 left much more of an impression.
---
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&cn=Verranicus
#45ManjiMidouPosted 12/29/2012 4:17:31 PM
Persona 3 is the better game, persona 4 is just not as depressing and thus is liked better.
#46CrimsonmistPosted 12/29/2012 4:37:30 PM(edited)
ManjiMidou posted...
Persona 3 is the better game, persona 4 is just not as depressing and thus is liked better.

The final portions of both parts of Persona 2 manages to bring about the same or potentially worse depression than P3 in terms of plot, that doesn't somehow make it better or worse.

And let's not act as if the design choice of making characters nearly uncontrollable in P3 was the best decision ever when no other game in the series forces that issue, and is clearly recognized as a fault by designers when made optional not only in 4, but in P3P. But let's ignore every other gameplay improvement made by 4, because f*** those, they don't got a tower!
---
#47ManjiMidouPosted 12/29/2012 4:40:45 PM
Crimsonmist posted...
ManjiMidou posted...

The final portions of both parts of Persona 2 manages to bring about the same or potentially worse depression than P3 in terms of plot, that doesn't somehow make it better or worse.

And let's not act as if the design choice of making characters nearly uncontrollable in P3 was the best decision ever when no other game in the series forces that issue, and is clearly recognized as a fault by designers when made optional not only in 4, but in P3P. But let's ignore every other gameplay improvement made by 4, because f*** those, they don't got a tower!

l've never played 1 nor 2 mate.

The P3 story as a whole is just more than P4 story and not just because of the gloomy parts. l liked the party characters own personal problems better than p4's and l thought the social links to p3 where way better than p4's.
#48CrimsonmistPosted 12/29/2012 4:46:45 PM
ManjiMidou posted...

The point of the statement was something being more or less "depressing" doesn't seem to be a factor or at least a large one in what it determined as better, or at least it shouldn't be because last I checked people do not appreciate Persona 3 for its levels of being "depressing" in comparison to Persona 1 or 2, I don't see why this would be applicable for 4.

The P3 story as a whole is just more than P4 story and not just because of the gloomy parts. l liked the party characters own personal problems better than p4's and l thought the social links to p3 where way better than p4's.

Fine. I was more discussing gameplay mechanics as you did not elaborate on what makes a game for you. Not game part apparently.
---
#49Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 5:40:51 PM
ManjiMidou posted...
Crimsonmist posted...
ManjiMidou posted...

Plot:

-P3s story: "Defeat large Shadows, then save the world." Not that impressive...

-P4s story: "Solve a murder case, then save the world." Not impressive either but it's not as cliche... still, I can see the preference because neither is spectacular.

Character conflicts:

-P3 Characters: Parent issues (as cliche as it gets) and friendship.

-P4 characters: Many issues (sexuality, friendship, using people like tools, gender/age, superstardom, identity, loneliness, worth).

Sorry I don't see this one, could you explain so I maybe could understand?
#50CrimsonmistPosted 12/29/2012 5:44:10 PM
Persona 3 also had stuff regarding acceptance of physical limits (Kaz), accepting reality (Kenji), and a few other topics. I say most non-party member SLinks were equal to the P4 ones.

Personally wasn't a fan of either of them.
---