I get that P4 is ultimely the better game, but I still like P3 a bit more

#51ColdFlamezPosted 12/29/2012 4:50:15 PM
Birth_By_Sorrow posted...
ManjiMidou posted...
Crimsonmist posted...
ManjiMidou posted...
Persona 3 is the better game, persona 4 is just not as depressing and thus is liked better.

The final portions of both parts of Persona 2 manages to bring about the same or potentially worse depression than P3 in terms of plot, that doesn't somehow make it better or worse.

And let's not act as if the design choice of making characters nearly uncontrollable in P3 was the best decision ever when no other game in the series forces that issue, and is clearly recognized as a fault by designers when made optional not only in 4, but in P3P. But let's ignore every other gameplay improvement made by 4, because f*** those, they don't got a tower!

l've never played 1 nor 2 mate.

The P3 story as a whole is just more than P4 story and not just because of the gloomy parts. l liked the party characters own personal problems better than p4's and l thought the social links to p3 where way better than p4's.

Plot:

-P3s story: "Defeat large Shadows, then save the world." Not that impressive...

-P4s story: "Solve a murder case, then save the world." Not impressive either but it's not as cliche... still, I can see the preference because neither is spectacular.

Character conflicts:

-P3 Characters: Parent issues (as cliche as it gets) and friendship.

-P4 characters: Many issues (sexuality, friendship, using people like tools, gender/age, superstardom, identity, loneliness, worth).

Sorry I don't see this one, could you explain so I maybe could understand?

Grouping all their problems together as "parent issues" is like grouping P4's as "typical teenager issues".
---
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&cn=Verranicus
#52Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 4:51:26 PM
Crimsonmist posted...
Persona 3 also had stuff regarding acceptance of physical limits (Kaz), accepting reality (Kenji), and a few other topics. I say most non-party member SLinks were equal to the P4 ones.

Personally wasn't a fan of either of them.

I don't count other S.Links since most are not canon. I'm talking about party members, who all exhibited these internal conflicts over the course of the plot.
#53Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 4:54:23 PM
ColdFlamez posted...
ManjiMidou posted...
Crimsonmist posted...
ManjiMidou posted...
Persona 3 is the better game, persona 4 is just not as depressing and thus is liked better.

The final portions of both parts of Persona 2 manages to bring about the same or potentially worse depression than P3 in terms of plot, that doesn't somehow make it better or worse.

And let's not act as if the design choice of making characters nearly uncontrollable in P3 was the best decision ever when no other game in the series forces that issue, and is clearly recognized as a fault by designers when made optional not only in 4, but in P3P. But let's ignore every other gameplay improvement made by 4, because f*** those, they don't got a tower!

l've never played 1 nor 2 mate.

The P3 story as a whole is just more than P4 story and not just because of the gloomy parts. l liked the party characters own personal problems better than p4's and l thought the social links to p3 where way better than p4's.

Plot:

-P3s story: "Defeat large Shadows, then save the world." Not that impressive...

-P4s story: "Solve a murder case, then save the world." Not impressive either but it's not as cliche... still, I can see the preference because neither is spectacular.

Character conflicts:

-P3 Characters: Parent issues (as cliche as it gets) and friendship.

-P4 characters: Many issues (sexuality, friendship, using people like tools, gender/age, superstardom, identity, loneliness, worth).

Sorry I don't see this one, could you explain so I maybe could understand?

Grouping all their problems together as "parent issues" is like grouping P4's as "typical teenager issues".

What a grand explanation. Next time, if you're not going to contribute anything useful, please don't contribute at all. It was directed at him, and not as an insult either.

But just so you know: that's a ridiculous comparison. "Parent issues" are very specific. Two parents whom one/both you don't get along with or lost. "Teenageer issues" can be any one of a few dozen things, and is far more broad then the former.
#54SmashStrikePosted 12/29/2012 5:00:14 PM(edited)
I prefer P3 in just about every way. Just had better everything to me. P4 had improved gameplay upgrades but they weren't significant enough to make it a better game to me. Probably one of the biggest reasons is that the character development was all around more consistent in P3. Even though, it wasn't always amazing, it was consistent. There were characters in P4 that seriously suffered from the plot abandoning character development for "high school shenanigans."
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#55Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 5:04:30 PM
SmashStrike posted...
I prefer P3 in just about every way. Just had better everything to me. P4 had improved gameplay upgrades but they weren't significant enough to make it a better game to me. Probably one of the biggest reasons is that the character development was all around more consistent in P3. Even though, it wasn't always amazing, it was consistent. There were characters in P4 that seriously suffered from the plot abandoning character development for "high school shenanigans."

I can agree with this. It is more consistent and involved within the plot. I just don't like how every one of their conflicts is fairly cliche, and not exactly handled with a fresh outtake either.
#56SmashStrikePosted 12/29/2012 5:12:36 PM
SmashStrike posted...

I can agree with this. It is more consistent and involved within the plot. I just don't like how every one of their conflicts is fairly cliche, and not exactly handled with a fresh outtake either.

I like the different characters arcs for different reasons. I like Junpei, Fuuka, and Yukari for feeling so ****ing human, realistic, and relatable. I like Mitsuru, Aigis, and Akihiko for their behaviors and actions after their arcs' climaxes. Mitsuru finally lets go of the ice queen act and starts acting like a real bff with Yukari (see her actions in the Answer), Akihiko stops acting like the cool guy and ends up being one of the silliest P3 characters, and Aigis has to accept and deal with the fact that despite how much she wants to she can't protect everyone she loves and no matter how much she feels human she will never be a human and that's ok. I don't like Ken and Shinjiro so much but again, their arcs were consistent and complete.
---
#57Dominion_PyePosted 12/29/2012 5:14:11 PM
I think both games had cliche issues. But some of them like Yosuke's just got silly. "Boy this place is boring!". Even his Shadow had to make fun of that a little.
---
Smoking leaves you breathless=I are make you eat less. Subliminal messages FTW!
#58Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 5:16:18 PM
SmashStrike posted...
SmashStrike posted...

I like the different characters arcs for different reasons. I like Junpei, Fuuka, and Yukari for feeling so ****ing human, realistic, and relatable. I like Mitsuru, Aigis, and Akihiko for their behaviors and actions after their arcs' climaxes. Mitsuru finally lets go of the ice queen act and starts acting like a real bff with Yukari (see her actions in the Answer), Akihiko stops acting like the cool guy and ends up being one of the silliest P3 characters, and Aigis has to accept and deal with the fact that despite how much she wants to she can't protect everyone she loves and no matter how much she feels human she will never be a human and that's ok. I don't like Ken and Shinjiro so much but again, their arcs were consistent and complete.

P4s issues are realistic too, I hope you know that. I've known people (including myself) that deal with several of them.
#59Birth_By_SorrowPosted 12/29/2012 5:19:03 PM
Dominion_Pye posted...
I think both games had cliche issues. But some of them like Yosuke's just got silly. "Boy this place is boring!". Even his Shadow had to make fun of that a little.

Indeed they did. But P4 had a vastly more. There are only so many realistic issues you can use.

That wasn't his real issue. He only thought that way because of how he was treated by the townspeople: as a plague, someone who's father came in and destroyed their small town atmosphere. This was the route of all other issues. Him feeling that way is simply a biproduct, a defense mechanism.
#60SmashStrikePosted 12/29/2012 5:23:30 PM(edited)
SmashStrike posted...
SmashStrike posted...

P4s issues are realistic too, I hope you know that. I've known people (including myself) that deal with several of them.

Whether or not they did anything meaningful or engaging with those realistic issues is in the eye of the beholder. For me, not so much. Also, not in reference to anything specific about what we're talking about, but realism on its own doesn't really mean squat. If a 10 minute movie was made about a guy going to the bathroom, it'd be super realistic but not so much engaging. Realism is just a means to an end, that end being connecting with the audience so they listen to what you have to say.
---