SMT fans hate Persona fans

#101PickleChickPosted 12/31/2012 8:56:51 PM
Sevyne posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
PickleChick posted...
I just don't understand why people get offended that people like something. I've never gotten the whole mentality of crapping on new stuff or new fans just because they have a differing opinion from you. I really enjoy this game and I've played other SMT games in the past but didn't enjoy them as much. Sorry, I really like social links and the social aspects of this game as well as the plot. Don't know why that would in any way bother anyone.

In general the fear is that Persona success lead to two things:

1- ATLUS decideds to expand Persona features to the main SMT series.

2- That ATLUS decided to kill the series because its not persona.

Wich is understandable as people familiar with persoan wouldnt like that Persona take the features they dont like in SMT.

As example even DS2 has some kind of SL so i say the fear is justified.

I can understand having a fear of that. I've even stated a few times to keep Persona stuff in Persona when people suggested those features in a SMT game, but hate for people with differing tastes is totally different. That's just some people being pompous d***wads that think they're better than everyone that haven't played the mainline series. And I'm speaking as one of the people who does like both series. I just don't really care what other people like. Not really my problem. When one series starts to intrude on the other then I'll get annoyed, but not at the players. They do not make the games after all.

Precisely! This is entirely my point. Thank you for wording it better than I did.
---
I'm going to go fondle my sweaters. ~ Gene
#102CantidoPosted 12/31/2012 9:09:05 PM
Atlus did it. They opened Pandora's Box.

They found a market for dating-sims in the west. God help us all.
---
Two Pyramid Heads walk into a bar.
There were no survivors.
#103KarnRX78Posted 12/31/2012 9:13:42 PM
I haven't played a SMT game, but I just recently got into Persona.
#104ZeraylphPosted 12/31/2012 9:14:54 PM(edited)
Cantido posted...
Atlus did it. They opened Pandora's Box.

They found a market for dating-sims in the west. God help us all.

lol It's not that bad.

I think the social link system of more of a way of opening up characters.

But I can see how some see it as a dating sim
#105MerlinCrossPosted 12/31/2012 9:15:40 PM
Really I've never seen the hate between SMT and Persona fans. Then again, I only bring up the topic with friends. And most of them have played 2-3 SMT/Persona titles. The ones are usually Persona 4 and Nocturne.

Heck, Nocturne got me into the series. But Persona 4 gave me a story I actually liked for. Gotta be honest, played Nocturne and Strange Journey more for the challenge, though I liked Journey more due to certain factors. I really disliked juggling those Magatama in Nocturne.

But with a fanbase this big for SMT games and the spin offs, infighting is going to happen.
#106SevynePosted 12/31/2012 9:17:10 PM
JohnNiles posted...
That seems logical. But lashing out at people will just drive them away, leading to lower sales and the eventual death of the series.

Exactly. If anything it would be better to recommend SMT games to those who started on Persona and haven't touched those games. Educate them a little bit on the good and bad. Maybe recommend a good starting point for beginners to the series and what games to work up to. Get more people into those games so they can appreciate the differences. Don't drive people away. That doesn't help anyone, including yourselves. Get more people to support it so that Atlus can see that the main series doesn't need to be like Persona to be a hit. They're great on their own merits.
#107Strain42Posted 12/31/2012 9:21:41 PM
That's why honestly, I think the Devil Survivor games are some of the best Atlus has done in a long time. Because I really feel like the series captures the best of both worlds.

We have a lot of the stuff that fans of the older games enjoy with the cyberpunk themes, heavily religious story, darker atmosphere towards character's fates, a lot of classic demons and designs.

But also the stuff that a lot of people love from the newer Persona titles with bright colors, catchy soundtracks, humorous dialogue, social aspects and characterization ('cause c'mon lets be honest, SMT isn't great with characters since usually people are an alignment representative first and a character second)

Honestly, if it weren't for me being so drawn to the Devil Summoner series, I'd say the Survivor titles would be my absolute favorites.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#108SevynePosted 12/31/2012 9:28:04 PM
Strain42 posted...
That's why honestly, I think the Devil Survivor games are some of the best Atlus has done in a long time. Because I really feel like the series captures the best of both worlds.

I can kind of agree on that. The Devil Survivor games are usually what I recommend as a starting point for people who have only played the Persona games. Then from there I move them along to DDS and onto DS, SJ, and Nocturne. Halfway through all of that they're usually hooked and don't really need me to suggest anything else. Dropping people straight into the heart of it all is an easy way to turn people off. Ya gotta slowly work them up to it.
#109halfelven23Posted 12/31/2012 9:28:26 PM
i loved and liked both devil summoner....
and i also liked persona 4....
#110MerlinCrossPosted 12/31/2012 9:28:34 PM
Strain42 posted...
We have a lot of the stuff that fans of the older games enjoy with the cyberpunk themes, heavily religious story, darker atmosphere towards character's fates, a lot of classic demons and designs.

And the brutal difficulty. Don't forget the brutal difficulty.

But yeah I kinda agree. Heavy story with decent characters, classic demons and ending of the world combined with a bit of light art and humor.