SMT fans hate Persona fans

#111metamaraPosted 12/31/2012 10:38:26 PM
Persona fans claiming to be smt fans when the games they played are persona 3 or 4 or both. Then cry over whatever when they try out other megaten series and rage quit.

Come on, show your support to atlus by playing more megaten games like dds, devil survivor, raidou, main series, soul hackers, blah blah or blah.
#112JohnNilesPosted 12/31/2012 10:42:05 PM
Strain42 posted...
That's why honestly, I think the Devil Survivor games are some of the best Atlus has done in a long time. Because I really feel like the series captures the best of both worlds.

We have a lot of the stuff that fans of the older games enjoy with the cyberpunk themes, heavily religious story, darker atmosphere towards character's fates, a lot of classic demons and designs.

But also the stuff that a lot of people love from the newer Persona titles with bright colors, catchy soundtracks, humorous dialogue, social aspects and characterization ('cause c'mon lets be honest, SMT isn't great with characters since usually people are an alignment representative first and a character second)

Honestly, if it weren't for me being so drawn to the Devil Summoner series, I'd say the Survivor titles would be my absolute favorites.

I especially liked Devil Survivor 2 because it did not go the demons vs. angels angle, or even a straight Law vs. Chaos route. On the other hand, I experienced my first Law Hero (I think that's what it's called) while reading up on/playing through Strange Journey and wasn't that impressed by the execution. I barely finished the game.

I have Nocturne and the Raidou Kuzunoha games sitting in a pile, but I won't get around to playing them until the mood strikes me. They get pushed back every time I see someone ranting about the recent prioritization of the Persona games.
#113DynamicJumpIuffPosted 12/31/2012 10:45:17 PM(edited)
I especially liked Devil Survivor 2 because it did not go the demons vs. angels angle, or even a straight Law vs. Chaos route

It's funny. That's also one of the reasons I love it.

On the other hand, I experienced my first Law Hero (I think that's what it's called) while reading up on/playing through Strange Journey and wasn't that impressed by the execution.

Zelenin? Yeah, characters are not the main series strong point.

Although SMT IV looks like it's changing that.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#114RavenShinobiPosted 12/31/2012 10:52:01 PM(edited)
I've been a fan of the series since Persona: Eternal Punishment came out. I enjoyed P3/4 and talking to their fans. But the only thing that annoys me about some of them is that they think S. Links is what makes a SMT worth playing.

When P1P came out they complained that the game had no S. Links and that you had to negotiate with demons to get tarot cards to get new Personas.
When P2: Innocent Sin was announced they asked whether the game had S. Links.
When Atlus announced P5 and mentioned it will be different from the previous games they said they better keep the calendar system and the S. Links.

I enjoyed the S. Links in P3/4, but they don't have to be in every game Atlus makes. It's sad that Atlus is aware of the obssession with social links and had to mention when marketing Devil Survivor 2 (and even Growlanser 4) that those game had S. Links to convince people to buy them.
---
Favorites: FF9, We <3 Katamari, Zelda: MM, Jet Grind Radio, Castlevania: SotN, Ape Escape, MGS
My anime list: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Raven_Shinobi
#115ZeraylphPosted 12/31/2012 10:59:17 PM(edited)
metamara posted...
Persona fans claiming to be smt fans when the games they played are persona 3 or 4 or both. Then cry over whatever when they try out other megaten series and rage quit.

Come on, show your support to atlus by playing more megaten games like dds, devil survivor, raidou, main series, soul hackers, blah blah or blah.

Sevyne and JohnNiles made a good point

but yeah, Recommend them a good starting point depending on what they like, and let them branch out into the other series
#116ReezyKunPosted 12/31/2012 10:57:12 PM
Kuxal posted...
I just hate these mindless fans that love ONLY persona 4 and don't know **** about the series.
To be exact, I dislike people who are saying this is the best game ever made and that it has no flaws when in reality this game is PACKED with major flaws no one seems to see.

Hate is a strong word. You hate people who have a different option then you do how sad.
---
GT- Nerdy Ryuu /PSN - Darkninjabozz
3DS-1203-9519-9064 / Twitter@Sirryuu
#117ZeraylphPosted 12/31/2012 11:00:35 PM
ReezyKun posted...
Kuxal posted...
I just hate these mindless fans that love ONLY persona 4 and don't know **** about the series.
To be exact, I dislike people who are saying this is the best game ever made and that it has no flaws when in reality this game is PACKED with major flaws no one seems to see.

Hate is a strong word. You hate people who have a different option then you do how sad.

I agree with you, it's people like that, that drive away people.

There are better ways to introduce someone into the main series
#118Omegatron_Posted 12/31/2012 11:03:39 PM
I enjoy both games thoroughly.
#119JohnNilesPosted 12/31/2012 11:06:51 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
I especially liked Devil Survivor 2 because it did not go the demons vs. angels angle, or even a straight Law vs. Chaos route

On the other hand, I experienced my first Law Hero (I think that's what it's called) while reading up on/playing through Strange Journey and wasn't that impressed by the execution.

Zelenin? Yeah, characters are not the main series strong point.

Although SMT IV looks like it's changing that.

Man, from my viewpoint, that's the most damning admission ever. x_X

For what it's worth, I was fine with the team turning against each other and splitting up, down to the background grunts. It's a very powerful plot mechanism when handled properly. I just thought it was a little compressed. (Persona 3 FES was also weak in this area.)

As for upcoming games, I'll get Soul Hackers despite my loathing for first-person dungeon crawling. I hope the remake took some lessons from Strange Journey. I'll wait for more information before I decide on SMT IV.
#120Rasen543Posted 12/31/2012 11:32:02 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

Just got to Wednesday in DeSu 2. Liking Ronaldo so far and I'm assuming

Ronaldo is going to be Law Hero and Yamato is Chaos. If that's the case I'm really liking it because Yamato works for the government, which in SMT is usually backing up law, and Ronaldo is a rioter yet supports Law.
---
EARTHBOUND FANS, GO HERE :D
Luminehall.net