SMT fans hate Persona fans

#41Nightmare637Posted 12/31/2012 4:02:00 PM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
I'm not really into dark games, which is why I don't plsy SMT.

Lemme guess, you were raised Catholic or evangelical.

what does that have to do with his religon?
#42CrisisOfFatePosted 12/31/2012 4:04:04 PM
Cantido posted...
If Persona 4 was just another grimdark mess about killing God, I probably would have ignored it.

This is exactly what this topic is about
---
The official Azrael of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#43Celes--CherePosted 12/31/2012 4:06:20 PM
Seems pretty irrational of these SMT fans then if you ask me. Why dislike Persona fans? Because 3 and 4 are popular?
#44CrimsonmistPosted 12/31/2012 4:08:27 PM
I can understand this backlash toward "dark" elements it's in part why my initial opinions on how P2 EP handled part of its presentation were bleak and why I continue to find the appearance of P3's Dark Hour as well as the death theme to be hamhanded.

But to that same end so long as it fits the atmosphere of the plot and setting I don't see the huge issue with a game being dark beyond taste.
---
I might make this my sig...
#45CantidoPosted 12/31/2012 4:19:49 PM(edited)
CrisisOfFate posted...
Cantido posted...
If Persona 4 was just another grimdark mess about killing God, I probably would have ignored it.

This is exactly what this topic is about

I got Persona 4 because it defied the various tropes that made me stop playing JRPGs in the first place. First, it's not a grimdark mess about killing God. We get it, Japan, a lot of people, just like your many writers, are uncomfortable with the thought of a magical man in the sky that sends people to hell because they didn't get some water splashed on their head. It's old now. Yay, secularism, yadda yadda yadda.

Yu (well, game-Yu, not Anime Yu) is not a generic "stoic" jerk Mary Sue who stares into a void in silence while girls throw themselves at him. He has to strive to improve himself, talk to others and take an interest in others lives or he gets nowhere with no girl or no friend. No girl comes crashing down his door to drag him to a romance-sidequest-event like in FF7. He has to go out and make it happen. (This is why the anime aggravates me but I'm not getting into that here.) This is why Game-Yu will go down as one of my favorite, socially healthy heroes like Zidane from FF9 and Stocke from Radiant Historia. It might as well be the moral of P3 and P4 that you don't need superpowers to be popular or loved, just a willingness to develop yourself and take direct interest in the lives of others.
---
Two Pyramid Heads walk into a bar.
There were no survivors.
#46lindaluvPosted 12/31/2012 4:17:39 PM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
But arent SMT and P games the same... kind of like battlefield and COD?

Joke post? COD and Battlefield are very different styles of military FPS.

Exactly. SMT and P, different styles of the same thing.
---
Its not just a battery, its DURACELL
#47kratoscar2008Posted 12/31/2012 4:17:46 PM
Celes--Chere posted...
Seems pretty irrational of these SMT fans then if you ask me. Why dislike Persona fans? Because 3 and 4 are popular?

Well it depends how the P4 (Yes P4 fans are the issue here) fanbase acts toward other SMT games, obviously both sides has its black sheeps but the more huge the fanbase the chances of finding those fanboys increase. Im not an old SMT player but i have played the old Persona games and i get facepalm when people claim to be a huge Persona fans when they only idolize P4 and talk crap of P1&P2, those claims are what bother old SMT and Persona fans.
#48Strain42Posted 12/31/2012 4:20:20 PM
Yu (well, game-Yu, not Anime Yu) is not a generic "stoic" jerk Mary Sue who stars into a void in silence while girls throw themselves at him.

...I...bu-...I honestly can't tell if you're being serious. That's exactly what happens. Yes, you have to do social links if you actually want to get a lover, but you've still got Rise throwing herself at you the whole game, plus I think even if you don't have a romantic interest in someone you can still get dragged along to the summer festival by whichever girl likes you the most. The only difference between that and your FF7 example is you can choose to not go on the date if you don't want to.

I'm not saying I disagree with your overall point, I actually do agree with a lot of it.

But the sentence I'm putting in context here has me curious if you even played the game.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#49KaiKun91Posted 12/31/2012 4:25:19 PM
I think it depend on what you grew up playing. For me I started with P3 and I got use to it. Going to SMT is kinda difficult. What I usually hear from SMT fan is that how come a spin-off like Persona get's so much love.
#50Lelouch71Posted 12/31/2012 4:34:01 PM(edited)
No they don't. They just hate the fanboys not the fans. I consider myself a fan of both and I also find the fanboys annoying.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"