I remember when Persona 3=Final Fantasy VII and Persona 4=Final Fantasy VIII

#21DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/1/2013 11:46:14 AM
but I would say FFV had the most fun job system.

And the GBA translation was just soooo good.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#22The_DjokerPosted 1/1/2013 11:50:30 AM(edited)
Crap analogy. Really. FF8 isn't even the 2nd most popular FF game. FF7 was always more popular than FF8. P4 became more popular due to the success of the game and Anime series. IT's a silly comparison.

---
http://s12.postimage.org/8orxdffrv/ps4golden.png
#23Minatokun13Posted 1/4/2013 5:30:56 AM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
As someone who has played most of the games in the series when they came out, I can say VII, VIII, and X are candidate for the best.

While I do respect your opinion...

The best is FFV imo.

I never liked job systems, so V and III are near the bottom for me.

To the guy you were quoting, X is nowhere near the best for me. I don't know what it was about that game, but I just did not have fun while playing it.
#24Birth_By_SorrowPosted 1/4/2013 5:47:55 AM
Persona is it's own series. If anyone other then a Persona fan (usually P1/P2 elitists) gets upset over fanboyism, they are completely in the wrong. Obviously, I'm referring to SMT fans. Again, Persona is not officially an SMT game. It only used (not even anymore since P4A) the name outside Japan for marketing purposes.

FFVII WAS a FF game, so you can make an argument for fanboyism as a fan of the overall series.

But regardless, I don't see that much hate at all for Persona fans. There are a few here and there who claim it to be a "mainstream sellout" of an SMT game (which is impossible as I stated) or who bash P3/P4 and prefer P1/P2 or the other way around, but that's about it. Comparing the 2 (really 3) fanbases just doesn't work.
#25pillerofautumnPosted 1/4/2013 11:26:59 AM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
As someone who has played most of the games in the series when they came out, I can say VII, VIII, and X are candidate for the best.

While I do respect your opinion...

The best is FFV imo.

I never liked job systems, so V and III are near the bottom for me.

To the guy you were quoting, X is nowhere near the best for me. I don't know what it was about that game, but I just did not have fun while playing it.

FFX for me mostly was because the battle system was amazing, being able to swap party members was great. And Blitzball, my god Blitzball. I think I spent more time doing that than the actual game.

VII and VIII are near the top for me because they're grand adventures with, from what I remember, a great story. It was also one of the first few RPGs I played, so that might have something to do with it.
#26KotetsuPosted 1/4/2013 12:32:35 PM
I don't like the Persona and Final Fantasy comparisons. Final Fantasy 7 (and maybe even 10, for that matter) had a lasting effect on the video game industry.

Persona games are only for nerdy people in Japan and nerdy people who like things from Japan like us. I would've put P3:FES in front of P4 in terms of popularity, but P4G is better and might be the best game out for Vita right now. The Persona style works better on a handheld, but P3P came out too late in the PSP's life to be a success.
#27animefan1000Posted 1/4/2013 3:16:26 PM
I agree with the reverse of this comparison, FF8 has the better story like p3 does while p4 has better gameplay due to the improvements made. And yes you can compare games of different genres and franchises because they can all be brokendown into playability and story and somesuch. If you were to ask me what my favorite ff game is I couldn't tell you because I don't have one, I like games for various reasons and dislike them for various reasons, however ff12 is complete trash and should be buried next to the ET the video game cartridges.
---
R.I.P. Merry and Ace.
#28Birth_By_SorrowPosted 1/4/2013 3:37:47 PM
animefan1000 posted...
I agree with the reverse of this comparison, FF8 has the better story like p3 does while p4 has better gameplay due to the improvements made. And yes you can compare games of different genres and franchises because they can all be brokendown into playability and story and somesuch. If you were to ask me what my favorite ff game is I couldn't tell you because I don't have one, I like games for various reasons and dislike them for various reasons, however ff12 is complete trash and should be buried next to the ET the video game cartridges.

The comparison we refer to is the fanbases, not story or anything else.

This cannot be compared because:

1. Persona 3/4 fans are not nearly as criticized as FFVII fans are, by fans of the overall series.

2. Persona fans are mostly criticized by SMT fans. Unlike FFVII, which is a FF game, Persona is not an SMT game officially in Japan an only used the name outside for marketing purposes (even now they've dropped the SMT for recent titles outside Japan such as P4A and P4G). So the criticism doesn't even belong nor does it make sense since they are two completely separate franchises and fanbases.
#29Super SlashPosted 1/4/2013 3:51:41 PM
FF8 and P4 aren't even on the same level. FF8 has always been one of the black sheeps of the series.
#30singhellotakuPosted 1/4/2013 3:52:14 PM
For the record FF8 is better than FF7