What weapon you want P5 MC use instead of a cliche sword?

#141Do_I_ExistPosted 1/7/2013 9:41:08 PM
I really liked the Naginata in P3P. Quite original, in addition to looking very cool while still being an actually functional weapon.

Katanas look cool, and are functional weapons, but are too overused.

Giant swords look cool, are not very functional, AND suffer from overuse.

Sadly, I think another Naginata would be unlikely, because I think it has an association with femininity in Japan. So, I doubt it would appear on the MC, unless they were female, or there was a choice like P3P. Could be an interesting metaphorical weapon on a character like Naoto, though.

I'd like to see an axe or a war hammer, those are very uncommon in JRPGs, at least on a protagonist. Even rarer, a blunt weapon like a mace or a pipe.

Double-Bladed swords look cool, and aren't used too much, but I prefer weapons that were really used practically at some point in history.

Lances or spears would be cool, too.
---
(Ellipsis)
#142Birth_By_SorrowPosted 1/7/2013 9:42:32 PM
Stop hating on the sword.
#143lechaflanPosted 1/8/2013 10:18:15 AM
GrayFox2510 posted...
That's why I like the Suikoden series. Most MCs have weapons outside the norm.
Tir (Suikoden 1) had a staff, or something similar (been a loooong while).
Riou (S2) had a pair of Tonfa.
S3 was special in that it had 3 MCs sort of. I remember one using a dagger, can't remember the others (S3 wasn't really to my taste, so I kinda blurred it from my mind).
Never played S4. XD
The Hero of S5 had a three-section staff (one of my favorites).

Senel Coolidge from Tales of Legendia also fought with his fists. Not the first Tales I would recommend by a long shot, but it's there.

I got nothing against swords in general, but they have become too much of a staple... I really liked the Naginata of FeMC in P3P, though what we really need are more Katar/Katara/PunchingDagger.

Sad no one else acknowledges how different the weapons were for the MCs in the Suikoverse apart from other JRPG worlds. But to clarify:
S3 - Hugo - dagger, Chris - sword, Geddoe - sword, Thomas (if you want to consider him a sort of MC as he was the gathering star like the other Suiko MCs) - sword
S4 - Lazlo - 2 swords (definitely not common in JRPGs. Last time I noticed it was an MC's weapon is with Brigandine's [PSX SRPG] Lance)
STactics - Kyril had I think something like Serge's swallow

Seems swords will tend to be the all-around staple weapon for JRPG MCs to come but having that diversity will always be welcome. On topic, I'd like to see some sort of handgun make its way as an MC weapon. But for the usual Personaverse having high school students, it seems highly unlikely.
---
http://cosplay.com/member/128253 (P4's Swagima)
10. BoF3 9. P4A 8. CoD4 7. SMarioW 6. MMV 5. BBCSE 4. ShiningForce2 3. MM8 2. Xenogears 1. SPuzzleFighter2T
#144__Pent__Posted 1/8/2013 11:29:16 AM
lechaflan posted...
On topic, I'd like to see some sort of handgun make its way as an MC weapon. But for the usual Personaverse having high school students, it seems highly unlikely.

It could work with a simple "Since we're gonna be fighting monsters I took this gun from my dad's drawer". It doesn't really make much sense for high schoolers to be buying swords and armor either, and Naoto did have a handgun, and Daidara would sell more guns to the kids, so I don't think it would be much of a problem.
#145Kazuhira07Posted 1/8/2013 12:12:10 PM
_BTT_ posted...
I have to admit that after a fairly lengthy departure from JRPGs the MC's addiction to oversized, weirdly balanced, impossible-to-wield swords was disconcerting. The fact that I could wield a golf club, shovel, and baseball bat somewhat made up for it though.

*cough**cough*cloudstrife*cough*
---
PSN: Kazuhira07
Currently playing: Tales of Eternia
#146Kite91Posted 1/8/2013 12:29:01 PM
__Pent__ posted...
lechaflan posted...
On topic, I'd like to see some sort of handgun make its way as an MC weapon. But for the usual Personaverse having high school students, it seems highly unlikely.

It could work with a simple "Since we're gonna be fighting monsters I took this gun from my dad's drawer". It doesn't really make much sense for high schoolers to be buying swords and armor either, and Naoto did have a handgun, and Daidara would sell more guns to the kids, so I don't think it would be much of a problem.

It may not make much sense, but some high schoolers do actually by swords and whatnot in real life. Although, I like the idea that they weren't real weapons and became real in the tv world. It does seem suspicious that he can make and sell real guns to high schoolers.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: Haseo8
PSN: Zichiker(made it years ago, which is why the name is terrible)
#147Romancer_ZeroPosted 1/8/2013 12:37:41 PM
I like it when RPG heroes use their bare hands to fight. Having a Persona MC who uses his hands would get me excited.
---
Rise up against the fanboys and make fun of them instead of kill them.
#148VenusAdeptIsaacPosted 1/9/2013 4:41:38 AM
Romancer_Zero posted...
I like it when RPG heroes use their bare hands to fight. Having a Persona MC who uses his hands would get me excited.

I agree with this. Except, I may like fighting with an oversized axe the best.
#149krw703Posted 1/9/2013 8:20:27 AM
Mara is the only true answer.
---
PSN: krw703; DQ8-JP-LLA [Trap Box, 3 attempts] (H1, Y6, J10, K12)
Now Playing: Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
#150TluhdatsiPosted 1/9/2013 8:25:23 AM
Chain whip. Effective, looks cool, easy to conceal.
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)