so many good JRPG's on this and the 3ds

#11SkaldskaparmalPosted 1/9/2013 5:44:03 AM
AsukaTenjyoin posted...
Thing is right now my 3DS is collecting dust while I have lots of PS1/PSP RPGs to play on my Vita.

This is not a good argument for the Vita, because you can say there are lots of DS RPGs to play on your 3DS. I mean, it's cool to be able to play older games on your newer systems, I guess, but there's not any point in buying/owning a new system to play games that you can already play on something else.
#12WingZero0782Posted 1/9/2013 5:45:13 AM
Kuxal posted...
WingZero0782 posted...
AsukaTenjyoin posted...
JRPGs for 3ds?
KH, ToA, what else?

Devil Summoner:Over Clocked

Devil Survivor: Overclocked*

Yeah, got them mixed up.

Does Fire Emblem count?
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#13Kumori_no_YoruPosted 1/9/2013 5:47:31 AM
Thing is right now my 3DS is collecting dust while I have lots of PS1/PSP RPGs to play on my Vita.

Couldn't you apply that to playing DS RPGs on a 3DS as well?

I typically disregard backwards compatibility when looking at a console's library. Or otherwise similar reasons Skaldskaparmal mentioned.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#14WingZero0782Posted 1/9/2013 5:51:19 AM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...

Couldn't you apply that to playing DS RPGs on a 3DS as well?

I typically disregard backwards compatibility when looking at a console's library. Or otherwise similar reasons Skaldskaparmal mentioned.

Same here, I want new games not BC games that were released on another console, people won't want to buy a Vita to play PS1 & PSP games, the same applies to the 3DS.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#15GaboadoPosted 1/9/2013 6:46:36 AM
Yes, and one of the reasons I sold my PS3 and get 3DS. People say to play Sykrim and Uncharted, but I hate those games way too overated imo.
#16PiersKunPosted 1/9/2013 7:17:10 AM
The issue with the Vita is that it has a bunch of good games coming out, as well as some good games which were already released, but they haven't found their way to the west yet. This, unfortunately, seems to happen to everybody these days, seeing as even titles like BD:FF are also waiting on a possible localization, but so far we've got nothing.

So... yeah, especially for JRPGs, taking some japanese classes and putting in the effort doesn't seem like a bad idea. We've been gettign fewer and fewer, and it doesn't seem like this is about to change for the best any time soon, quite the contrary. I look at the Vita in Japan and there's a ton of stuff I want to play, in particular those Falcom titles like Ys Celceta and Sen no Kiseki, the latte rof which is clearly going to be a whole truck of awesome and god knows if the west will ever get to experience it. So, yeah, hopefully I can get to a level good enough to try my hand at the moons soon-ish, lol.
#17Boomerang78Posted 1/9/2013 8:06:06 AM
Currently, the 3DS is spanking the Vita on all fronts. Not that it was unprecedented, the 3DS has Pokemon, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. Those three franchises have secured the 3DS' victory in Japan, therefore, most RPGs will be made for the 3DS. Hell, Shin Megami Tensei IV is being made for the 3DS, so we know another series that's making a mainline instalment on the little handheld. It's only a matter of time before Square Enix releases a Final Fantasy (other than Theatrythm), Namco releases a Tales (that isn't a port), and others. The Vita is going to lose support, despite its strong start games-wise (In Japan at least...). The Vita has Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Hearts R, Tales of Innocence R, and other games that were originally made available on other consoles. They're enhanced, but people want original games, which the 3DS is getting.

So, yeah, the 3DS is going to print money for Nintendo once again and the Vita is going to secure a small nugget of great games, just like the last generation with the DS and the PSP.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yD9N0.gif
#18thehikikomoriPosted 1/9/2013 9:59:12 AM
For Vita the only games I can think of wanting to get are the Tales ports (assuming they come out in NA).
3DS has several games coming out that I want that are confirmed for NA release. I just wish Bravely Default was one of those games since I liked 4 Heroes of Light.
#19PiersKunPosted 1/9/2013 10:15:40 AM
That's... well, not how it went with the DS and PSP. At least, as you said, in Japan. Sure, Nintendo has a bunch of big names in it, but the japanese JRPG developers, the small-med sized ones, mainly ended up supprting the PSP, which actually shows, seeing as Sony's handheld is still alive and keeps receiving more and more games to this very day.

The way I see it, the Vita won't be doing too hot in the west, much the same way the PSP didn't, but it's bound to go on improving little by little over in Japan. Nintendo will always have the initial sales boom, as seen in the last generation, mainly because their offerings can cater to a much more mainstream market and to the younger audiences, but as long as Sony keeps playing their cards right, I don't see any shortage of good games coming out on the Vita anytime soon.

Just on top of my head, the following months the Vita, in Japan, will receive Soul Sacrifice, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, Demon Gaze and God Eater 2. These all being original titles. Then for the 'ports', Tales of Hearts R, which, to be fair, I almost consider it to be a new game given how they've basically redone the battle system and dropped the quite basic 2D one found in the DS title, Oboro Muramasa, Meruru Plus and the "complete version", let's call it that way, of Ciel no Surge. Later on that year there's Sen no Kiseki, as previously mentioned, which is basically the game I'm looking forward to the most, and will probably be a good seller, given how the Kiseki series has been growing more and more popular in Japan as of late.

As for the 3DS, again, limiting it to Japan isn't quite as large, as seen here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/releases/region-2

There are fewer titles being released, and aside from SRW UX and DQ7, nothing here is of particularly big interest, even if Magi is based on a popular IP, but not the sort of game which usually gets great sales. Of course, MH4, Pokemon are expected later on this year, and those two will most likely break the whole sales charts over there. SMT4 I'm not sure if it'll sell like mad, mainly because it does feel like SMT has become 'subpar' compared to Persona lately, in terms of sales. Of course, being on the widely popular 3DS might give it the boost, but I'm curious to see the numbers and how it'll compare to the P4G port, which sold INCREDIBLY well all things considered. More than 200k copies in Japan for a system that barely reached 1m units, on a port of all things, is pretty damn amazing.

BUT welp, tl;dr aside, I own a Vita and am currently saving to get myself a 3DS, because of Pokemon. Can't say I'm displeased with the Vita, and as long as you have no issues with importing (and the language barrier), it'll most likely turn out to be a fantastic system. The 3DS also has a bunch of really great titles so far, and truth be told, I think both systems had a really great first/second year in the market. Especially in the Vita's case, it's a bit sad seeing it sell below expectations when, in terms of games, it blows the PSP's start out of the water.
#20SkaldskaparmalPosted 1/9/2013 10:23:35 AM
PiersKun posted...
Tales of Hearts R, which, to be fair, I almost consider it to be a new game given how they've basically redone the battle system and dropped the quite basic 2D one found in the DS title

The funny thing about this is that everyone says the battle system for the Vita version is pretty bad compared to the 3DS one. Frankly, a game is not "basic" just because it's 2D and, in fact, the best Tales battle systems have been in the 2D games for the most part, whereas the 3D games have been more "basic" or simple in comparison.