Best rpg battle system in your opinion?

#1pwivitabox360icPosted 1/15/2013 7:11:39 PM
I touched up on this in another post already ,but wanted to create a topic that just focuses on rpg battle systems.

My all time favorite battle system and the one I feel is the best is the on in Legend of Legaia. It is sort of a mix between a fighting game and a turn based rpg. Sounds god awful on paper, but in theory is absolutely fan f****** tastic. Not only is it crazy fun ,but has loads of strategy to it as well. This game actually involved skill unlike some other much more popular rpg's were one could get away with holding O or X until the fight was over. I remember the first time I fought that bastard Xain and he kept using his all hit attack and I was not aware of spiriting he just absolutely smoked me. Then I came back and mopped the floor with him. Not because I had gone and grinded X amount of levels and became stronger through artificial means, but because I had guarded when I needed to, used items and healing when it was called for. and used appropriate arts and elemental type, as well as better ap usage. I like the fact that by boosting my skills as a gamer and not through holding left d-pad and mashing x for 10 hours I was able to overcome an obstacle in the game. That for me is why LoL has and always will have (rose tinted glasses can't be beat) the greatest battle system in any role playing game this side of the pacific. Please Contrail make Legaia 3 already.

So with that I open the topic to your guys opinions on the best battle system in any game. Maybe I can find a gem I missed this way. Stories in rpg's are nice, but for me the real meat of the game has always been the gameplay. Also I swear if someone says any final fantasy game I will drown a pony(I live on a farm). As much as I love FF the battle systems in them was always sub-par.
---
Spread the Peace and Love..
#2TheExiled280Posted 1/15/2013 7:12:25 PM
Battle System right? FFXIII
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Red Dead Redemption(PS3)
#3pwivitabox360ic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 7:14:22 PM
TheExiled280 posted...

You think this is a joke man!!!? There is a ponies life on the line here.
---
#4The_LimitPosted 1/15/2013 7:17:31 PM
Persona 4 Golden
---
PSN: TheLimit32 (Add Me!) - 4ever Playing: Persona 4 Golden
Yukiko... She's My Everything... http://anime.ap.teacup.com/jump-333-2/timg/middle_1348179017.jpg
#5HoIlywoodPosted 1/15/2013 7:18:54 PM
I love Legend of Legaia and yearn to have it on my Vita
---
PSN: Ahkiva
#6TheExiled280Posted 1/15/2013 7:19:06 PM
pwivitabox360ic posted...
TheExiled280 posted...

You think this is a joke man!!!? There is a ponies life on the line here.

I didn't see the last line. Also, why ask for an opinion if you are going to restrict the choices? Unless we count ARPGs, the only RPGs I've played with outstanding battle systems IMO are FF games.
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Red Dead Redemption(PS3)
#7pillerofautumnPosted 1/15/2013 7:22:08 PM
Off the top of my head, Xenogears. For pretty much the same reasons as Legend of Legaia. And call me crazy but Parasite Eve had a great battle system.
#8pwivitabox360ic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 7:22:23 PM
The_Limit posted...
Persona 4 Golden

Fair enough.... I felt it a bit too easy however even at the higher difficulties.
Also I feel there are not enough gimmicks. Just attack,magic,all out. However the simple battle system for me was saved by the personae themselves. Gives it a pokemonish feel. Don't get me wrong I liked the battle system just was a bit simple in my opinion. I also hate how later on MC just takes over and becomes cop,jury,judge.and executioner to all those poor shadows.
---
#9Skull007o_OPosted 1/15/2013 7:29:15 PM
I loved nocturne's... the challenge that the press turn system offers is amazing, and of course, how it punishes you if you try to hit everything blindly

And while P4G's battle system is full of details (like follow-up attacks, team attacks, bike attacks, 1 more, weaknesses, critical hits, buffs, debuffs, changing personas, etc.) IMO, having tons of features doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best... It's awesomely stylish though, I could grind for hours without getting bored of the music or the guys' lines during battle
#10ArtiRockPosted 1/15/2013 7:29:18 PM
Riviera or Lufia 2. Both absolutely sublime turn based RPGs.
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.