Best rpg battle system in your opinion?

#101BreyantPosted 1/16/2013 7:05:44 AM
I really liked Tales of Vesperia's battle system. It was fast, flashy, and still pretty easy to grasp. I never got to the point in that game where I was like... Ugh another battle.

And I think that's a testament to how good a system is when you're going through some of those dungeons packed with monsters.
#102GatxStrikeAegisPosted 1/16/2013 7:21:52 AM
Legend of Legaia

Dat combo..
This game is my first rpg and the one that make me fall in love tio this genre.
#103Infini22Posted 1/16/2013 7:26:31 AM
FFVIII/X and Shadow Hearts 2 remain my fav battle systems. This might be nostalgia bias.
#104The WretchedPosted 1/16/2013 7:29:58 AM
For me, Panzer Dragoon Saga had the greatest battle system. It was very strategic, as you had to be constantly aware of your position relative to that of the enemies, both to be able to attack weak points and to avoid getting hit by the enemies' strongest attacks. I can't think of any other RPG where positioning plays that much of a role, so it's quite unique in that regard. Also, the game did another unique thing by giving you two different normal attacks: you had your gun, and your dragon's lasers. The gun did better damage to a single target, but you were only ever going to hit one enemy with it, so if you needed to sweep up a bunch of enemies, the lasers were the way to go.

And there's so much more to the game beyond just that. There's magic(called Berserks) of 4 different types, and morphing your dragon into different forms... I could probably go on all day. Of course, given the game's rare and expensive status, not too many have played it...

I have a bunch of runners-up though. FFX did a great job of being strategic with switching characters in and out of battle to accommodate for different situations. FFXIII does something similar in paradigm switching. The press turn system in general was also incredible, and is in fact the only game system that I can think of at the moment where outright passing your turn was actually a viable strategic option.
---
The loaf that attempts to twist fate is not a loaf at all, but is, in fact, a pretzel.
PSN: Tian-ming
#105itis41269Posted 1/16/2013 7:41:06 AM
pillerofautumn posted...
Off the top of my head, Xenogears. For pretty much the same reasons as Legend of Legaia. And call me crazy but Parasite Eve had a great battle system.

You know what.... i like you
---
"Big lizard in my backyard, i can't afford to feed him anymore"
#106hi123456789282Posted 1/16/2013 7:52:15 AM
A tie between ToGf and VP2
#107HaggitPosted 1/16/2013 7:55:39 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSone)
#108EliteGuard99Posted 1/16/2013 7:59:45 AM
Tales of vesperia, pure awesome.
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser
#109easymodexzPosted 1/16/2013 8:39:17 AM
For RPG battle system -- Grandia 3.

Rather nice hybrid of active and turns, without counterattacks and such.
#110higherflyerJPosted 1/16/2013 8:45:11 AM
Legend of Legaia closely followed by Shadow Hearts
---
PSN - BattleJuiceJ
Xbox Live - BatttleJuice