Best rpg battle system in your opinion?

#21MogMoogle1Posted 1/15/2013 6:43:01 PM
I have a few that I really enjoyed, hard to pick which is best.

Tales of Graces F - I thought the real time battle style of this was quite superb. Some people disliked it since they didn't have the same style of that of the Symphonia team(lack of jumping, CC instead of SP, free movement that doesn't cost anything, etc.), but I welcomed it very much. Also, none of the cast of characters felt gimped and are all unique.

Demon's Souls - As fun as Dark Souls was, Demon's Souls was, imo, the better of the two in terms of battle gameplay mechanics. They are both essentially the same, but due to some balancing issues, most all effective builds for Dark Souls ends up looking the same. Definitely had a lot of fun with this game, especially with the online part of the game, it really gets your heart pumping.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - AKA Secret of Mana 2, which was never released outside of Japan. A lot of people loved Secret of Mana, but the game felt too broken(especially chain casting spells). For Seiken Densetsu 3, they fixed most of that, for better or for worse. I also like how you can select from a cast of characters that are some what unique from each other in terms of combat style and each of them can class change in to something more unique.

Valkyria Chronicles - I started this game thinking I wouldn't like the gameplay at all, since the concept of a strategy RPG shooter was strange for me, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. I enjoy sRPG's, but I usually don't finish them, but this one was way too fun to let go.

Some notable mentions that I enjoyed, but wouldn't say would be top contenders:

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - The first one, Hyperdimension Neptunia, was a horridly laggy and buggy turn based system, but they pretty much scrapped that and changed it in to something like a Quest 64 style system. Very fun, but had some balancing issues that made the game either really hard or way too easy.

Quest 64 - Been mostly playing turn based style RPG's, probably a couple of real time RPG's, and probably a couple of sRPG's before getting in to this. Game wasn't very polished, but the idea for the battle system was quite unique and I enjoyed it a lot.

Chrono Trigger - although turn based, I thought it was cool how there were no random encounters, and the battles happened on the screen itself, no map warping or anything. Was a bit disappointed once you get to the end game and unlock those ultimate skills that takes away from the strategy of the game.
---
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph
Persona 4 Golden: http://i.imgur.com/Ui84Q.gif
#22katellaPosted 1/15/2013 6:44:15 PM
FF13 and Golden Sun. Runer-up is prolly Xenosaga III
---
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic~
PSN: ScarletDevilI( L [undercase] + i [uppercase] )
#23Ultima_LordPosted 1/15/2013 6:51:05 PM(edited)
Undecided between Grandia III or Valkyrie Profile. FFXIII's is just ugh; fast-paced and new doesn't equal good (Overall, that is. The paradigm thing was good). All I have to say other than that is "wasted potential". I hope Lightning Returns refines it and makes it what it could've been in the earlier games.
---
Kanji: But that chick...she is pretty amazing.
Yu: Which chick? Oh right, funbags. - P4 Animation
#24FScellPosted 1/15/2013 6:46:50 PM
Even though I absolutely despise the game...

Grandia III... has a really good system.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#25pwivitabox360ic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 6:49:03 PM
Remember I'm not asking what your favorite rpg ever is rather the best battle system in an rpg. Golden Sun??? Really? Don't get me wrong I loved the game and loved both Golden Sun 1+2. They were my favorite GBA games. The battle system is not why. Djinni were cool, but the actual battle mechanics were kinda lame. I feal this has just become a what's your favorite rpg thread.
---
Spread the Peace and Love..
#26Ultima_LordPosted 1/15/2013 6:50:42 PM
FScell posted...

I loved Grandia III o_o. Sadly, I let my friend borrow my copy and he "lost" it. Do you own the game? Would you sell it? I'll definitely buy it off you. It's expensive these days.
---
#27pwivitabox360ic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 6:53:04 PM
FScell posted...

Man I loved that game so hard. At first it was meh, actually the only thing that kept me going was the blue haired kids ( sorry it's been years since I played it) hot mom. First time around I refused to learn the battle systems nuances and got stuck in the flying fortress. I ran from 50% of the battles. Once I reset and made myself learn the game's battle system holy smokes I was hooked. That's an excellent example of what I mean. The game in my eyes was mediocre as a whole in every way. The battle system however I would put in my top 5.
---
Spread the Peace and Love..
#28FScellPosted 1/15/2013 6:56:32 PM
That game had such an abysmal story and then the two good characters leave and you watch what little quality it had drain away as you're left with the worlds worst romance and two cardboard cutouts as a supporting cast.

Battle system sure was good though.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#29SmashStrikePosted 1/15/2013 7:09:51 PM(edited)
pwivitabox360ic posted...
I feal this has just become a what's your favorite rpg thread.

Not for me. My favorite Rpg is Super Mario RPG which also has a very enjoyable battle system but not as good a the ones I first mentioned.

EDIT: Thank you for reminding me of my own favorite TC. XD
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#30Ultima_LordPosted 1/15/2013 7:01:25 PM
Yeah Grandia III definitely had one of the cheesiest, cliche', and poorly-written stories I've ever come across. The battle system, soundtrack, and skills were just too good though lol.

Ima shut up about it now. I just miss that game.
---