Best rpg battle system in your opinion?

#41FScellPosted 1/15/2013 9:05:04 PM
ToraKyte posted...
Tales of the Abyss. For the most part, I love LMBS battle systems, primarily the 3D systems. I love Symphonia to death, but it didn't have as good a battle system (still fun as heck, though).

A lot of people seem to prefer Graces battle system, but I preferred the earlier systems. So it comes down to Abyss and Vesperia. I choose Abyss because of my fond memories fighting Legretta and Van.

I liked Graces, but mainly because it borrowed so much from the system I liked even better in the Destiny remake.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#42Tayo2345Posted 1/15/2013 9:05:34 PM
Persona 3 Portable/Persona 4 (DIRECT COMMANDS MORE LIKE WHY IS THIS NOT ALWAYS A THING)
Tales of Symphonia 2 (free running yo)
Tales of the Abyss (iirc it's the same as symphonia 2 or at least really similar)
Arc Rise Fantasia
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Pokemon

Basically anything that's either turn-based or allows free movement around the battlefield.
---
I don't care what you say, Generation II sucks.
That's just my opinion, no matter how true it may be.
#43FireDragoon18Posted 1/15/2013 9:05:37 PM
My first instinct would be Star Ocean 3 or Resonance of Fate.
---
[Tu fui, ego eris.]
http://i.imgur.com/7dBe9.gif
#44DarkglowPosted 1/15/2013 9:49:44 PM
First thought, aside from P4G, is Resonance of Fate. I want a sequel to that game so I can play with that system again in a new setting.

I wasn't thinking SRPGs, but I gotta agree on Valkyria Chronicles. The game still rocked (though not as epic) on PSP. I played XCOM recently and while I think that system is good too, I prefer VC's style that gives you more direct control of your squad.
---
bleep blorp
#45Wii306Posted 1/15/2013 9:59:09 PM
Tales of Graces f, no question.
---
Currently Playing: P3F, LoL
#46demonsword765Posted 1/15/2013 10:08:09 PM
Xenogears. Do I rate it the best? I dunno because I never pigeonhole anything as perfection. I do love it though.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#47cjjohnstonPosted 1/15/2013 10:08:39 PM
Legend of Dragoon is the only correct answer.

Honorable mentions to Legend of Legaia and Xenogears.
#48iliekpieplzPosted 1/15/2013 10:16:23 PM
Turn Based - Arc Rise Fantasia

Action - Tales of Vesperia

Strategy - Fire Emblem: Awakening
---
Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.
PSN: ZanSangyou
#49thirdsagePosted 1/15/2013 10:29:55 PM
The Tales of games hands down!
#50damionignisPosted 1/15/2013 10:39:24 PM
I'm gonna go odd man out and throw in the Suikoden series. The fact that it had three separate battles systems in each game sets it apart from most RPGs. The fact that each one was enjoyable and memorable just enhances it. Breakdown commencing...

Party Battle: Sure, nothing terribly new, but I enjoyed the Rune mechanic and complexity of Unite attacks (plus uniting rune attacks later on).

Duels: It was Rock, Paper, Scissors, except it actually took stats into account. Fun, but nothing amazing, and it's probably good that there were so few of them.

War Battles: This is where the series shines. In each successive game the way war battles are fought changes drastically. The two things they have in common between games is that the more people you recruit, the better your odds, and no matter how well you plan it and play, there's a good chance you're going to spend some time going, "Sh** sh**, I'm gonna die." Add in the possibility of perma-death for many characters and the fact that you can't get the best ending if any of them do die, and you have a frustrating, but rewarding battle.
---
Not changing this line until I decide I want to! (12/20/12)