Best rpg battle system in your opinion?

#71synthetiksinPosted 1/16/2013 12:46:16 AM
Forgot the name of the game, but it's a regular jrpg that has random encounters. The fighting itself is like a beat em up with menu skills and AI controlled allies. It's my favorite battle system and would love to see an actual modern game with it.

Disgaea for strategy. Throwing characters brings out a whole new dimension to grid based srpgs.

KOTR for semi-action.
#72R_ChampPosted 1/16/2013 12:48:17 AM
The_Limit posted...
Persona 4 Golden

It's funny--as much as I love this game--I couldn't disagree more. I thought the battle system was its greatest weakness. Granted, they do the classic turn-based pretty well, it still gets boring pretty quick; especially since normal enemies are just plain easy (or at times cheap) and you can't customize your allies very much.

In my opinion Grandia would probaby be the best. Xenoblade handles the MMO style really well. I'd also put Fallout 3 and Mass Effect up there, but I don't think they'd really count as "battle systems".
#73SyserinPosted 1/16/2013 12:57:01 AM
synthetiksin posted...
Forgot the name of the game, but it's a regular jrpg that has random encounters. The fighting itself is like a beat em up with menu skills and AI controlled allies. It's my favorite battle system and would love to see an actual modern game with it.

Lol - that isn't much to go on - that's pretty much every classic JRPG.
#74Slayerxx1Posted 1/16/2013 12:57:26 AM
Legend of Legaia had such a fun battle system, chaining combos was fun as hell

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth was great as well, I enjoyed Silmeria as well since you had to destroy certain body parts on monsters to get good loot, tedious yes, but pretty innovative sleeper IMO.
#75synthetiksinPosted 1/16/2013 1:07:32 AM
Syserin posted...

No, you misunderstand. There aren't a lot of games doing any kind of side scrolling beat em up style fighting complete with light and heavy attack buttons and combos with menu skills and AI controlled teammates that you can switch to.
#76LordcrabfoodPosted 1/16/2013 1:39:23 AM
The Last Remnant for me, a lot deeper then some people realise.
#77MogMoogle1Posted 1/16/2013 1:44:35 AM
synthetiksin posted...
Syserin posted...

No, you misunderstand. There aren't a lot of games doing any kind of side scrolling beat em up style fighting complete with light and heavy attack buttons and combos with menu skills and AI controlled teammates that you can switch to.

Sounds kind of like a Vanillaware game, like Odin Sphere or Muramasa... but those don't have AI teams... hm...
---
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph
Persona 4 Golden: http://i.imgur.com/Ui84Q.gif
#78mechakeyPosted 1/16/2013 1:47:27 AM
Many Atlus games like all of the SMT Series & Etrian Odyssey Series
the Same for Dragon Quest and FF Series (Tactics included)
heck, I'm really prefer this kind of "turn-based battle system" rather than the "Action" one, but I'm kinda still enjoying it for games like Tales of and Kingdom Hearts
---
3DS FC : 4210-4002-7215 Nick: fawzowzZ
#798492nd_SquadronPosted 1/16/2013 1:58:51 AM
I like Monster Hunter's battle system (if that count as an RPG). you don't just go button-mashing like "die die DIE!!!". You need skill, timing, and the right weapon to deal with the enemy. Make one mistake, and you end up failing (for most monsters)

that's just my opinion, btw :)
#80LenneValkiryePosted 1/16/2013 2:00:43 AM
FFXIII.
It's not even a contest.