Chie's voice.

#11RikkettikPosted 1/19/2013 3:16:31 PM
What I like about old Chie is how she sounds unique. I only have to hear her voice, even without the context of Persona 4, to know it's her. Erin Fitzgerald's voice acting may fit Chie's personality better, but it also reduces her to nothing more than a stereotype. I find it a bit saddening that some people seem to be unable to think outside that cliché of an energetic and tomboyish girl who sounds like she ate too much sugar or popped too many Ritalin pills. Understandable too, I guess, because tropes are there for a reason: based on what you've see from her, you develop an idea of what she will probably sound like. Energetic, tomboyish girl usually means high-pitched voice and a fast, loud delivery. If her voice than turns out to be nothing like that, the results can be jarring.

Still, for me, Tracey Rooney was a pleasant subversion of the stereotype. Not that she was flawless in her delivery of Chie's lines, far from it at times, but she did make her sound unique and I think the clashing between her voice and her personality provided her character with some extra depth.

I also wonder where that "old Chie sounds like a middle-aged woman" argument comes from. It's actually quite common in real life for a girl her age to sound like that. And it makes sense, right? Your voice changes during puberty and your body doesn't stop to make sure it will fit your personality.
#12furygodsPosted 1/19/2013 3:27:34 PM
Rikkettik posted...
What I like about old Chie is how she sounds unique. I only have to hear her voice, even without the context of Persona 4, to know it's her. Erin Fitzgerald's voice acting may fit Chie's personality better, but it also reduces her to nothing more than a stereotype. I find it a bit saddening that some people seem to be unable to think outside that cliché of an energetic and tomboyish girl who sounds like she ate too much sugar or popped too many Ritalin pills. Understandable too, I guess, because tropes are there for a reason: based on what you've see from her, you develop an idea of what she will probably sound like. Energetic, tomboyish girl usually means high-pitched voice and a fast, loud delivery. If her voice than turns out to be nothing like that, the results can be jarring.

Still, for me, Tracey Rooney was a pleasant subversion of the stereotype. Not that she was flawless in her delivery of Chie's lines, far from it at times, but she did make her sound unique and I think the clashing between her voice and her personality provided her character with some extra depth.

I also wonder where that "old Chie sounds like a middle-aged woman" argument comes from. It's actually quite common in real life for a girl her age to sound like that. And it makes sense, right? Your voice changes during puberty and your body doesn't stop to make sure it will fit your personality.

Chie's supposed to be that stereotype. If a actress can't do what the character was supposed to be, then she is not suited to do that character.

Same concept that English voice actresses can never do loli voices.

It's not like she's a bad actress but the new actress just does her voice better.
---
School Days HQ: One of the best animated visual novels ever.
Shiny Days: Mediocre at best but Setsuna is adorable <3
#13BuchichuPosted 1/19/2013 3:37:27 PM
Gotta admit, when I first heard her voice in Golden I cringed, but it's an improvement from the old one. Also, as the game progressed and in the anime, she gets much more tolerable. There was something about her first few scenes in the game...she sounded terrible, so forced and exaggerated. I don't know what order they recorded the game in, but I got the impression as I played her voice became much more relaxed and natural.
---
The BEST Marvel reference tool on the web is: www.marveldatabase.com
#14RikkettikPosted 1/19/2013 3:44:05 PM
furygods posted...
Chie's supposed to be that stereotype. If a actress can't do what the character was supposed to be, then she is not suited to do that character.

I guess that's true, as Erin Fitzgerald's performance is completely different from Tracey Rooney and more in line with what you'd expect a girl like Chie would sound like. They wouldn't have done that if they still wanted Chie to sound more calm and mature. In a way, casting Erin Fitzgerald as Chie was basically a retcon.

Doesn't change the fact that I personally liked her better when she wasn't such a stereotype, intended or not.
#15furygodsPosted 1/19/2013 3:57:22 PM
Rikkettik posted...
furygods posted...

I guess that's true, as Erin Fitzgerald's performance is completely different from Tracey Rooney and more in line with what you'd expect a girl like Chie would sound like. They wouldn't have done that if they still wanted Chie to sound more calm and mature. In a way, casting Erin Fitzgerald as Chie was basically a retcon.

Doesn't change the fact that I personally liked her better when she wasn't such a stereotype, intended or not.

I suppose I have no power to question what you personally like but it is always the character first when voice acting is involved :3

(Although sometimes it is the reverse, but that is very rare)
---
School Days HQ: One of the best animated visual novels ever.
Shiny Days: Mediocre at best but Setsuna is adorable <3
#16The_DjokerPosted 1/19/2013 4:09:21 PM
you get use to it. And after watching the Anime...I cant go back to old Chie.
---
http://i.imgflip.com/enr2.gif
#17ImmaLelouchPosted 1/19/2013 4:56:27 PM
Not this topic again.
---
Lelouch: Crap! These guys are real terrorists!
#18KlyernPosted 1/19/2013 5:05:40 PM
Rikkettik posted...
What I like about old Chie is how she sounds unique.

I agree

ImmaLelouch posted...
Not this topic again.

Also agree xD

But on a personal note, i just dont like that comparing it to the jp version her voice is too feminine and sometimes when she tries to sound a little masculine she tries to sound.... irish.... or gipsy.... there was this line i heard "blablabla Don't ya", i never heard anything sound more gipsy even in Snatch (movie). I was immediately mind raped and had to turn the vita to sleep mode for 4 minutes... specially since I prefer Chie to other P4 characters.
#19Xepher988Posted 1/19/2013 7:43:53 PM
This is the topic that doesn't end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started sayin' it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue sayin' it forever just because.
---
GT: Earthbound12 http://myanimelist.net/profile/Earthbound12
#20BuchichuPosted 1/19/2013 7:45:36 PM
THANKS NOW I HAVE THAT RIDICULOUS SONG IN MY HEAD.

This is...never going to end. :(
---
The BEST Marvel reference tool on the web is: www.marveldatabase.com