do Persona 4 fans recognize this game as a MegaTen game?

#21Paradox_KnightPosted 1/21/2013 3:35:55 PM
Nobody really cares what I think because I'm on the third page and honestly barely anyone's going to read past the first page and instead just post their own opinion hoping someone out there bothers reading.

I believe what they are, officially.

Officially. Shin Megami Tensei is it's own series, it has 4 games right now. SMT 1, SMT 2, SMT 3 Nocturne, SMT Strange Journey.

SMT 4 is on it's way for the 3DS and when it comes out, there will be 5 SMT games.

Soul Hackers and by extension DDS is it's own series and is a bit of a spin-off, but it became it's own series much like how Persona's Megami Ibunroku is it's own series.

Persona 1 and 2 at the time it first came out here were not dubbed SMT games nor were they SMT games back in Japan. They are Megami Ibunroku games, you can consider the world that they created for Persona a spin-off of the SMT line but the fact is, Megami Ibunroku is it's own franchise now.

Devil Survivor is also it's own series and I for one don't consider it an SMT game. It's not originally marked as an SMT game.

The end note here is.

SMT has been utilized in the localized titles to help connect it to the successful Nocturne and to create a series mentality. People are naturally afraid of innovation and tend to fear taking risks, any competent teacher in an art, history or business class can tell you that and provide you valid proof both from ancient times and modern times. As such, the SMT brand is plastered on everything that remotely connects to Atlus made games that borrows similar elements for the sole purpose of boosting sales and creating a recognizable brand that removes this fear of innovation, originality, new and of the unknown, creating a more comfortable atmosphere to the less open minded customers out there to actually dip in and purchase the game.

You can theorize that a lot of new fans to the SMT franchise would have never touched Persona 3 if they hadn't seen the SMT brand name plastered on it. Same for DDS. These games are naturally more of a niche market game and anything I say would repeat the general idea given prior to this paragraph.

SMT has only 4 games, soon to have 5. The rest are non-SMT games...

Megami Tensei games though? That's tougher to answer... Megami Ibunroku is a spin-off of MT and SMT is a continuation of MT... If memory serves me correct about the history of Megami Tensei games in general.

Eh... I've honestly stopped stressing over this, I made up my mind and many others don't really care and just want to maintain something that's convenient for them instead of altering their mindset on what they view as a singular large franchise for the more complex situation it presents because... I could write a thesis on this I seriously could...
---
Made on 18/03/2012 due to recent games
We need a reclassification: DLC is Downloadable Content. DUK is Downloadable Unlock Key for locked on disc content.
#22kratoscar2008Posted 1/21/2013 3:53:01 PM
Paradox_Knight posted...
Nobody really cares what I think because I'm on the third page and honestly barely anyone's going to read past the first page and instead just post their own opinion hoping someone out there bothers reading.

I believe what they are, officially.

Officially. Shin Megami Tensei is it's own series, it has 4 games right now. SMT 1, SMT 2, SMT 3 Nocturne, SMT Strange Journey.

SMT 4 is on it's way for the 3DS and when it comes out, there will be 5 SMT games.

Soul Hackers and by extension DDS is it's own series and is a bit of a spin-off, but it became it's own series much like how Persona's Megami Ibunroku is it's own series.

Persona 1 and 2 at the time it first came out here were not dubbed SMT games nor were they SMT games back in Japan. They are Megami Ibunroku games, you can consider the world that they created for Persona a spin-off of the SMT line but the fact is, Megami Ibunroku is it's own franchise now.

Devil Survivor is also it's own series and I for one don't consider it an SMT game. It's not originally marked as an SMT game.

The end note here is.

SMT has been utilized in the localized titles to help connect it to the successful Nocturne and to create a series mentality. People are naturally afraid of innovation and tend to fear taking risks, any competent teacher in an art, history or business class can tell you that and provide you valid proof both from ancient times and modern times. As such, the SMT brand is plastered on everything that remotely connects to Atlus made games that borrows similar elements for the sole purpose of boosting sales and creating a recognizable brand that removes this fear of innovation, originality, new and of the unknown, creating a more comfortable atmosphere to the less open minded customers out there to actually dip in and purchase the game.

You can theorize that a lot of new fans to the SMT franchise would have never touched Persona 3 if they hadn't seen the SMT brand name plastered on it. Same for DDS. These games are naturally more of a niche market game and anything I say would repeat the general idea given prior to this paragraph.

SMT has only 4 games, soon to have 5. The rest are non-SMT games...

Megami Tensei games though? That's tougher to answer... Megami Ibunroku is a spin-off of MT and SMT is a continuation of MT... If memory serves me correct about the history of Megami Tensei games in general.

Eh... I've honestly stopped stressing over this, I made up my mind and many others don't really care and just want to maintain something that's convenient for them instead of altering their mindset on what they view as a singular large franchise for the more complex situation it presents because... I could write a thesis on this I seriously could...

But still the spin offs tend to have similar gameplay aspects (Like Fusion, Moon/Solar phases) so while you are right there are only 5 main SMT games the other spin offs still connect with them (Wich is the Raidouh Kuzunoha games the series union apparently), and thus makes them spin offs that form part of the series (Think of P4 arena, is a spin off but still is part of the series sprung off).

So yes Persona is a spin off, but they still form part of its parent series.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#23Paradox_KnightPosted 1/21/2013 4:17:45 PM
kratosscar.

The thing is, they were very very early spin-offs.

Raidou Kuzunoha is actually a continuation of the Soul Hackers series which was an early spin-off of Megami Tensei (if memory serves me correctly)

Megami Ibunroku Persona was also an early spin-off of Megami Tensei.

But neither are connected to Shin Megami Tensei which is what Megami Tensei eventually became. They all had a similar base but ultimately split off to be their own franchises.

Now, my question is...

What's DDS?

It's definitely not a part of the SMT franchise, in no way connected to the Persona franchise... The closest I can think of is the Soul Hacker's franchise which is still closely connected to the MT/SMT franchise (debatable like a lot of other things pertaining to this whole subject).

What's DDS a part of? Is it possibly yet another new franchise on it's own that was a one-off and not in any way actually connected to the others aside from general themes that all these different franchises shares?
---
We need a reclassification: DLC is Downloadable Content. DUK is Downloadable Unlock Key for locked on disc content.
#24FScellPosted 1/21/2013 4:27:11 PM
But neither are connected to Shin Megami Tensei which is what Megami Tensei eventually became. They all had a similar base but ultimately split off to be their own franchises.

Raidou and If.. attempt to establish very tenuous connections to SMT.

But questionable, at best.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#25Paradox_KnightPosted 1/21/2013 4:35:35 PM
FScell.

If I remember well. Shin Megami Tensei If had the SMT brand logo and name on it originally so there's that to help support it as being a part of the SMT line... Ah. That means my numbering were in error.

Then there's the SMT manga and the Persona manga if we want to add more complications to it all, but we're not talking timelines or anything else like that so that would be uncalled for and unrelated to the subject at hand. So there's that train of thought that I'm cutting off from my mind.
---
#26RasolisuPosted 1/21/2013 4:59:33 PM
DDS is pretty much the only title I would call "might as well be the main series" due to it being made by the nocturne team and all the stuff in common with nocturne.
#27KaitoKazePosted 1/21/2013 6:25:09 PM
I've never played an SMT game unless of course you count Persona.

But trust me, that's only because I haven't found one yet
---
PSN Username: Same as GFAQs name
Currently Playing: Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
#28DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/21/2013 7:07:05 PM
But trust me, that's only because I haven't found one yet

Amazon is pretty much the closest thing NA and EU fans have to an Atlus store. Nocturne and DDS1 & 2 cann all be bought practically new for $20 each.

:u

Also, I do consider P4 to be MegaTen. Just not SMT. Same with the other spin-offs.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#29wolffster25Posted 1/21/2013 7:16:46 PM
I like to think of smt series as a series inspired by the sum of its whole the team behind these games always take the elements that work and the ones that don't to continually improve on the franchise as a whole sort of like a communalistic relationship I believe this makes the entire franchise stronger. Create an idea or concept from a new game use it in old one to make that game much better. it works and as long as Atlus continues to innovate, constantly make great games, and publish unique titles than they will succeed over time its smart thinking and I love it. Defintely makes me excited to see how Persona 5 will turn out
---
"If you'll excuse me, I must go set my own city on fire"-Selvan PKMN Black FC: 3997-6421-2675, Black 2 FC: 4427-9315-2834, 3DS FC: 0259-0304-0116
#30KlyernPosted 1/21/2013 7:30:03 PM(edited)
XCrossYZ posted...
reason I ask is because I notice some Persona 4 fans don't know about The other MegaTen games, unless its Devil Survivor (don't know why). And some of the SMT like to Bash Persona games specially 3 and 4. Why is that? I myself consider it to be part of the MegaTen line

Thats bull, it only happened back in PS2 forums, in here there is a lot of talk about Amala universes etc as jokes and quotes of other SMT games.

Last time i read a mention of another SMT game I didnt find one single person who asked "what game is that quote from" or that didnt know what character they were talking about.

Also just saying but i hope you are seriously asking and this isnt really troll bait since these kinds of threads are getting old (title is agressive and dismissive of P4's worth as an SMT title)

If you dont like this franchise becoming the new Atlus flagship then learn japanese and go complain to Atlus in Japan, stop raising these pointless discussions.

And to answer your question, i played SMT1, Nocturne, DDS 1&2, all Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha games, Strange Journey, devil survivor 1 and 2, all Persona games and even demikids and SMTI.... so no, take your elitist crap elsewhere, Persona is a worthy series of Atlus despite its new "jrpg" focus. If anything the only regret i have is not being able to play Soul Hackers and SMT 2. That and that DDS ended with its second edition, i wanted to keep using devouring attacks D: