If they took out the japanese honorifics...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. If they took out the japanese honorifics...
4 years ago#11
would be better without the honorifics, it's a "localization" act like it
all and all, the effect it takes away from the game is fairly small, but still annoying
4 years ago#12
I like the honorifics. Sure it's a localization, but it's still taking place in Japan and I think it adds a nice little touch to the game. No hate for those who do not prefer it though. It's not to everyone's taste.
4 years ago#13
Well... since it's in Japan, it just would sound weird if it suddenly disappeared. Blah blah... localization and a few of the honorifics are questionable. If you want to get rid of everything like honorifics, we might as well change Chie to Carley and make her black.
Canon is only meant for blowing stuff up.
4 years ago#14
Don't care.
http://i.imgur.com/qd9BZ.gif http://i.imgur.com/hd2fD.gif
4 years ago#15
Watch the anime.
For some reason in the dub this time, they took out honorifics.
It's reaaaaaally jarring, for me at least.
Currently wasting my life on Persona 4 Golden and Persona 4 Arena. <3
4 years ago#16
Sician posted...
change Chie to Carley and make her black.

You could do that and no one would suspect she wasn't designed to be black.
PSN - SeraphicRadiance
4 years ago#17
Oh... but she would be Chie and white in the Japanese version.
Canon is only meant for blowing stuff up.
4 years ago#18
honestly they should. it would appeal a lot more to western audiences like final fantasy. persona 4 kinda has this anime virgin feel to it that probably drives away a lot of players.
So Damn Foxy.
4 years ago#19
Personally I'd rather have either the full Japanese audio track, or the English track without the honorifics. This sort of half-assed amalgamation is one of my only issues with the game.
4 years ago#20
The issue is that they're difficult to translate, and without them, you lose some meaning towards relationships present in the Japanese version.

Sometimes you can throw in equivalents, like changing a -kun prefix into referring to the character with a cutesy nickname. Doesn't always work, though, so I understand the translator's dilemma.
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. If they took out the japanese honorifics...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived