If they took out the japanese honorifics...

#61Boomerang78Posted 1/27/2013 3:08:46 PM
I don't mind it, but it'd be difficult to translate Rise, Kanji and Naoto's dialogue without it, since they directly refer to you by "Senpai." Yosuke had "Partner," so would they go around calling you "Leader?" It sounds a bit weird, honestly.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yD9N0.gif
#62The_JestPosted 1/27/2013 3:11:14 PM
I wouldn't say I would really care that much about the Honorifics, but personally, seeing as how they ARE in japan, ....I can't help but find it...Odd, if they removed it. It'd just be very strange.
---
You can pretend the theatrical end and imagine your world as the best, or you can break the seal in what you believe is real and realize your reality's a jest.
#63araxenPosted 1/27/2013 4:10:16 PM
I prefer the game with the honorifics. It made me learn something about Japanese culture.
#64Ray Ledgend 46Posted 1/27/2013 8:44:11 PM
perfectchaos83 posted...
That is a good point. For a lot of reasons, the game can't be totally removed from Japan, and some things like that are bound to come up. But at the same time, the concept of holidays is something we have here in the West. Even though I don't actually celebrate, say 'Respect for the Aged Day' or whatever holidays they have in the game, we have a similar concept here, so it isn't impossible to understand. I can still think of it as analogous to say Labor Day or some such. While it's certainly not perfect, it works for the purposes of the game.

First of all, it takes place in Japan. Making this game not take place in Japan literally makes no sense considering the mythos of Izanagi and the like. Second, Americanization is a stupid concept, I don't want the characters to be eating a rice ball and have them call it a hamburger or jelly filled donuts. In this game You live the life as a Japanese High school student, not a student in a weird hybrid American/Japanese culture.

Fine, fine. I never wanted to argue particularly much about this (plus I'm tired =P), so I'm not really gonna go point by point, but I will say I think you missed the point of that last bit. I don't want the game to be completely Amaricanized. Like I said, I don't think the game can be removed from Japan, and I don't think it should be either. All I'm saying is that I don't think honorifics are significant to a Western audience on a visceral level, and that the holidays are a bad counter to that claim.
---
Pokemon Info: 3482 5724 5911, Name John. This and all of my other Friend Codes are in my profile.
#65TehTrumpCardPosted 1/27/2013 8:57:02 PM
If they took out the Japanese Honorifics would it really be a Persona game?

Seriously the game occurs in Japan living a Japanese lifestyle and most if not all of the major Japanese holidays are in fact included within the game.

That's like asking how nice would it be if a core part of a game was suddenly removed.
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing...
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#66PickleChickPosted 1/27/2013 9:52:24 PM
I like the honorifics and it sounds way better than being called leader all the time.
---
I'm going to go fondle my sweaters. ~ Gene
#67kratoscar2008Posted 1/27/2013 10:09:59 PM
TehTrumpCard posted...
If they took out the Japanese Honorifics would it really be a Persona game?

Seriously the game occurs in Japan living a Japanese lifestyle and most if not all of the major Japanese holidays are in fact included within the game.

That's like asking how nice would it be if a core part of a game was suddenly removed.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment didnt had them and still was Persona so yes.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#68yabPosted 1/27/2013 10:33:26 PM
I didn't really like it when they spoke them in English.
Also, if the intent is to show relationships and such, they shouldn't change all last name references to first name ones, since it ends up being incorrect (for Japanese).

Stuff like sensei/senpai (when used as nouns) is fine though.

By the way Nanako's name doesn't mean seven, the 'na' kanji means vegetable and it's just repeated.
Kanji's name doesn't use the same characters as the word either.
---
#69ArgentumVirPosted 1/28/2013 1:18:18 AM
I'd prefer it if they took the honorifics out of the Dub and made a language switch option. They just sound forced with used in conjunction with the English language.
---
Check my FictionPress: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/882728/
I love Rias Gremory.
#70RinkuTanukiPosted 1/28/2013 6:26:35 AM
I didn't really like it when they spoke them in English.
Also, if the intent is to show relationships and such, they shouldn't change all last name references to first name ones, since it ends up being incorrect (for Japanese).

Stuff like sensei/senpai (when used as nouns) is fine though.

By the way Nanako's name doesn't mean seven, the 'na' kanji means vegetable and it's just repeated.
Kanji's name doesn't use the same characters as the word either.

Came in to say all of this.

Also, for everyone saying "it's in Japan so therefore necessary" - play the rest of the MegaTen games. The majority of them take place in Japan, but only P3 and P4 make use of honorifics.
---
I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this. But I don't think the purpose of the censorship was to ruin time-traveling Hitler's fun. - Curse