If they took out the japanese honorifics...

#71SkaldskaparmalPosted 1/28/2013 6:42:35 AM
No honorifics would be a huge improvement to the game's dialogue. P1P, P2P, the Raidou games and both Devil Survivor games don't use them and they're all vastly superior in localization. And all of them even take place in Japan! Imagine that.
#72Darky1992(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 9:47:24 AM
TehTrumpCard posted...
If they took out the Japanese Honorifics would it really be a Persona game?

Seriously the game occurs in Japan living a Japanese lifestyle and most if not all of the major Japanese holidays are in fact included within the game.

That's like asking how nice would it be if a core part of a game was suddenly removed.

Core part of the game? So you wouldn't even bother with the game if there were no honorifics. Oh man, some people.

They all have japanese names, they live in a town named Inaba (surprise, it's japanese), there's japanese holidays, etc. We get it, the game takes place in Japan. Adding honorifics is like...totally unneccesary.
---
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D, Pokemon White 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising.
3DS FC: 4167-5579-1461
#73slmcknettPosted 1/28/2013 9:58:19 AM
_BTT_ posted...
I don't think I'd really care, but I do like when Rise calls me Senpai . . . .

---
Official Luxord of the Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Board
#74FScellPosted 1/28/2013 10:11:00 AM(edited)
If they took out the Japanese Honorifics would it really be a Persona game?

There are several English persona games without honorifics.

If you want to keep them fine but at least understand what you're saying.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#75SkaldskaparmalPosted 1/28/2013 10:32:58 AM
Darky1992 posted...
Core part of the game? So you wouldn't even bother with the game if there were no honorifics. Oh man, some people.

They all have japanese names, they live in a town named Inaba (surprise, it's japanese), there's japanese holidays, etc. We get it, the game takes place in Japan. Adding honorifics is like...totally unneccesary.

Let's face it, the arguments for the use of honorifics make absolutely no sense.
#76KotetsuPosted 1/28/2013 10:40:24 AM
-san, -kun, -chan don't bother me.

Things like Nanako's "big bro" and Naoto's "grampa" bother me. People don't talk like that. Either use localized terms or stick with "oniichan" and "ojiichan"
#77deathpapayaPosted 1/28/2013 10:58:41 AM
Kotetsu posted...

Things like Nanako's "big bro" and Naoto's "grampa" bother me. People don't talk like that. Either use localized terms or stick with "oniichan" and "ojiichan"

Ewww nooooo wtfffffff
---
Steam: Emophia PS3: Emophia Vita: Kitikat XBL: Genophia
#78KotetsuPosted 1/28/2013 11:10:11 AM
deathpapaya posted...
Kotetsu posted...

Ewww nooooo wtfffffff

"Big bro" and "grampa" are taking the localization halfway. You confuse the people that don't speak Japanese and upset the people that do. They need to do one or the other instead of trying to do both.

For Nanako, it should be, "Hey Yu!" or "Hey oniichan!." I'd even take Yu-chan.
For Naoto, it should be, "grandpa" or "ojiichan." Grandpa is casual enough. Grampa is weird.

It's a Japanese language nuance that they're trying to force into English and it's very awkward.
#79Kite91Posted 1/28/2013 11:30:24 AM
Skaldskaparmal posted...
Darky1992 posted...

Let's face it, the arguments for the use of honorifics make absolutely no sense.

And pointless. The arguments against it are pointless as well. People view it differently.
---
Playing: Hyperdimension Neptunia + mk2, Tales of the Abyss 3DS.
Awaiting: Hyperdimension Neptunia V, Tales of Xillia.
#80buffy720Posted 1/28/2013 11:31:42 AM
Why must we go over this topic yet again?

The honorifics are in P3 and P4. Deal with them, or don't. Maybe in the next Persona game, they'll drop them. I just wish people would stop making a big deal out of them, and that goes for both sides.
---
"You're right. I am a weapon. Every cell in my body is aching for a fight. They long to collide with their anti-existence." ~ Jr.