What is this game comparable to?

#1SpacedDuckPosted 1/31/2013 2:51:28 PM
I'm thinking of getting this game but I can't seem to figure out just exactly what it is that you do.

I've watched some videos and it only confuses me more.

What games is this game comparable to?
---

Keep/Kept the Faith! Forever a member of Red Sox Nation!
#2FScellPosted 1/31/2013 2:53:15 PM
It's a dating sim and a turn based JRPG smushed together.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#3SpacedDuck(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 2:53:49 PM
lol okay wow.

Is it fun?
---

#4ArtrairaPosted 1/31/2013 2:54:02 PM
Persona 3
#5SpacedDuck(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 2:55:44 PM
Artraira posted...
Persona 3

Are you saying ignore this game and get Persona 3 or something? I'm confused lol
---

#6GODDUKEMONEXAPosted 1/31/2013 2:58:11 PM
FINAL FANTASY with MEMORIES OFF
#7ArtrairaPosted 1/31/2013 2:59:15 PM
SpacedDuck posted...
Artraira posted...
Persona 3

Are you saying ignore this game and get Persona 3 or something? I'm confused lol

I was saying it was comparable to Persona 3.
#8DalekZeroPosted 1/31/2013 3:15:55 PM
SpacedDuck posted...
lol okay wow.

Is it fun?

If you actually think about it, it sounds like it really shouldn't be. The concept for the game is so bizarre that in all reality, it should NOT work. But it is addictive in a way I cannot describe. You can look up reviews about it, watch people play it, but until you actually play it yourself you can't understand. I would get it. It is an amazing game.
---
always assume everybody on the Internet is either a 12 year old, or a creeper in his mid 40's. The Internet makes more sense that way.
#9SpacedDuck(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 3:26:26 PM
DalekZero posted...
SpacedDuck posted...
lol okay wow.

Is it fun?

If you actually think about it, it sounds like it really shouldn't be. The concept for the game is so bizarre that in all reality, it should NOT work. But it is addictive in a way I cannot describe. You can look up reviews about it, watch people play it, but until you actually play it yourself you can't understand. I would get it. It is an amazing game.

Would you say it's Harvest Moon addictive? Because a farming sim should not be fun either where you basically have to do chores daily.

Yet the HM games are some of the best ever.
---

#10mistermikeymikePosted 1/31/2013 3:33:51 PM
it's like a text based game with a few rpg dungeons combined.

basically you go through a year where everyday you choose to do something (really only hang out with friends) you get time after school and on sundays to hang out with friends/work which basically build social links. social links allow you to make stronger personas (which are analogous to pokemon).

leveling your social links basically works like this. you choose to hang out with a person, and then a cutscene appears and you pick a few options while talking before you level your social link up.

the dungeons are not fantastic either. they're randomly generated thus there are no cool tricks/hidden loot/hidden passageways. dungeons are not very interesting to explore.

boss fights are hard but interesting at first (as you're learning). but get to know the game better and realize how broken some things are. (heal spells, debilitate).

basically imagine a skyrim dungeon except without levers, puzzles, and whatever. all there is, is chests, a mini boss and a final boss. and the dungeon is about as interesting as a skyrim dungeon. running into enemies will trigger a fight in the style of final fantasy/golden sun.

i think the main selling point of persona 4 is the story. the game is very character driven and sort of like an anime i guess. everytime you hang out with someone you get to learn a bit more about them. a lot of the characters are really annoying and serve only to piss you off and make you come back for more to get stronger but some stories are legitimately touching and relateable.

the main story is kind of interesting as well. the game does not leave much exploring to the player. it's more a bunch of short stories about different people broken up into several parts and you get to choose which person you want to learn more about. over the game time (i put in about 60 hours in the first playthrough) you really get attached to the characters. the emotional impact though was definitely not as strong as say the end of disc 1 ff7 or ending of ff10 but id say it's kinda like learning about people in real life. it's not overdramatic and you slowly learn more and more.

all in all i'd give this game an 8/10. definitely worth playing through but once you beat it once, it wont have much replay value due to the fact that you'll be going through a massive amount of text from each characters events
---
So Damn Foxy.