Marie Canon theory (Spoilers)

#1RidortPosted 2/4/2013 1:49:08 AM
Saving Marie isn't canon. Proof?
She doesn't exist in Arena/anime.
In Golden, Margaret tells you that if you fail to save her in time, the hollow forest will close forever and Marie will never have existed, wiping all memories of her from everyone.
Therefore, canonically, the team fails to save her and thus she never existed at all. Thus, any attempt to retell or continue the story (anime/Arena) will not include her.

Thoughts?
#2GSSAGE7Posted 2/4/2013 2:01:09 AM
To be fair, after beating Izanami, Marie vanishes. She comes back by the time the Golden ending happens.
So during Arena, it's possible she just hasn't "reformed" yet. As for why she wasn't mentioned, they had more important things to worry about.
#3andhrosPosted 2/4/2013 2:04:26 AM
Think word of god says she is canon. Don't remember if I saw that on the website or not, but it only matters if they release a sequel. I am sure that they will include her if Arena gets one though. Might as well push people to buy "Golden" rather than keep enjoying vanilla.
#4ConMan8Posted 2/4/2013 2:04:42 AM
All these "canon" topics are tiring. Can't we just invoke the Amala universe and say everything is canon?

Also, Marie's been known to disappear for months with no explanation.. she might have just been missing during P4A. She wouldn't really be needed anyway, she doesn't become a party member or anything during P4.
Not sure what to say about the anime, other than that it's an adaptation and not necessarily canon or whatever.
---
Official [character] of the [game] board.
"We'll go get you some mashed potatoes." - Naoto
#5SmashStrikePosted 2/4/2013 2:26:44 AM
Anime is not proof of anything. Her not being mentioned in Arena, doesn't necessarily mean she's not canon. There was no reason whatsoever for her to appear or be mentioned in Arena's plot. Same deal with the rest of SEES but I'm pretty sure they still exist.

Fact is the P4G exclusive epilogue (which requires the completion of Marie's S.Link and dungeon IIRC) references the events of Arena which is a pretty strong indicator that she (and other Golden exclusive scenes) are canon.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#6Yu-no-MikotoPosted 2/4/2013 3:01:12 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7Ridort(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 3:23:05 AM
Yu-no-Mikoto posted...
Yet another one of those moronic idiot...

Well that was uncalled for.
The theory makes sense and the only thing anybody's said is "maybe Marie was doing xyz during arena" and "the anime doesn't count".
#8GSSAGE7Posted 2/4/2013 3:26:31 AM
Ridort posted...
Yu-no-Mikoto posted...

The theory makes sense and the only thing anybody's said is "maybe Marie was doing xyz during arena" and "the anime doesn't count".

Well Arena only took place in a single day, and if Marie has a phone, I doubt anyone knows how to contact her. What were you expecting, a random comment to the likes of "Hey, I know we're currently forced to fight eachother against our wills, but has anyone seen Marie?"
#9Ridort(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 3:35:00 AM
GSSAGE7 posted...
Ridort posted...
Yu-no-Mikoto posted...

Well Arena only took place in a single day, and if Marie has a phone, I doubt anyone knows how to contact her. What were you expecting, a random comment to the likes of "Hey, I know we're currently forced to fight eachother against our wills, but has anyone seen Marie?"

No, I just find it strange nobody mentions her.
Again, it's just a theory. I'm not saying it's irrefutably true, it just works in the current context.
#10regularsharpPosted 2/4/2013 4:10:29 AM
Egads, Ridort! BRILLIANT! Ah, no, wait... wait...

Who would be able to marry that many cannons?

Narf.