Japanese Mythology in P4

#1yukaru00Posted 2/5/2013 10:57:03 PM
/topic
You guys really need to understand Japanese myhtology more. Almost half of the contents of persona 4 are based on Izanagi-Izanami-Inaba myths.
There are connections between that of Izanami, Izanagi, Ame-no-Sagiri, Kuni-no-Sagiri, and Inaba itself.

Thus Marie is created in P4G to fill the place of Izanami incarnation, as the MC/Yuu is supposedly Izanagi incarnation in the game. lulz.
#2DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/5/2013 11:01:58 PM
So basically... This game has more goddesses reincarnating than the main games. Kinda funny.

Anyway you make good points but I feel like all the symbolism is clearly from Irish mythology. :u
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#3yukaru00(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:08:26 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
So basically... This game has more goddesses reincarnating than the main games. Kinda funny.

Anyway you make good points but I feel like all the symbolism is clearly from Irish mythology. :u

The story itself refer to the myths, not the persona, besides MC's Izanagi and his friends' of course.
Some of the persona in the series are based on Japanese mythology while some are based on Irish, Greek, Judaism, and Christianity.

And... the main game SMT itself is using those reference as their game subject and story.
#4RinkuTanukiPosted 2/5/2013 11:41:19 PM
...Does anyone here not know this?
---
I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this. But I don't think the purpose of the censorship was to ruin time-traveling Hitler's fun. - Curse
#5demonsword765Posted 2/5/2013 11:47:23 PM

I'd be surprised if we found one.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#6SkybladeNoxPosted 2/5/2013 11:48:43 PM(edited)

A lot of people. I'd say the vast majority of Westerners that play this game (and don't visit these forums) have little to no knowledge of any mythology beyond some of the myths and legends surrounding Christianity and Judaism. Some may have picked up on a bit if they actually read the minor dialogue, but from what I've seen this is unlikely.
#7natchu96Posted 2/6/2013 12:02:43 AM
SkybladeNox posted...

A lot of people. I'd say the vast majority of Westerners that play this game (and don't visit these forums) have little to no knowledge of any mythology beyond some of the myths and legends surrounding Christianity and Judaism. Some may have picked up on a bit if they actually read the minor dialogue, but from what I've seen this is unlikely.

Honestly, non Judeo-Christian myths are generally more interesting. The Bible being the bulk of it and all, and a lot of that is what are meant to be historical records and some letters. A lot of other myths are literally epic poems, which are supposed to actually be read and told and all that.
---
"Memento Mori, if the nineth lion ate the sun" - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (and no, that is not a typo)
#8demonsword765Posted 2/6/2013 12:34:44 AM
That's why we should read Paradise Lost. Milton is in everything.
---
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/841/be12546771e0f1be3d8f7d2.jpg
Morning Rescue, official drink of Puella Magi!
#9porkins_da_manPosted 2/6/2013 5:19:25 AM
P4 is based on Japanese mytology, Izanagi is the the God that gave life I think, and Izanami gave death. It's all explained in the Port Island field trip.

P3 is based on Greek mythology. Orpheus is a greek hero that travelled into Hades, soothed Hades and the demons with his music (hence, his harp), and brought back his lover.
---
"Check out my sword, it's pretty myth-like."
#10natchu96Posted 2/6/2013 5:54:34 AM
porkins_da_man posted...
P4 is based on Japanese mytology, Izanagi is the the God that gave life I think, and Izanami gave death. It's all explained in the Port Island field trip.

P3 is based on Greek mythology. Orpheus is a greek hero that travelled into Hades, soothed Hades and the demons with his music (hence, his harp), and brought back his lover.

I thought Orpheus failed. Foolish for turning back in doubt to soon. So much for cheating death. Guess there's no avoiding something like that. Just gotta face it like Messiah.

He's a fool. Now I get it . . .
---
"Memento Mori, if the nineth lion ate the sun" - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (and no, that is not a typo)