Question about the Persona game series

#1cheatermasterPosted 2/7/2013 8:50:30 AM
Is the Persona series its own series? Or is it part of the Megami Tensei series? Cause I think some people say despite having the name Shin Megami Tensei, its not really part of the entire series. At least I think some people said that. So now I'm starting to confuse here. Has all the Persona game always been part of the SMT series or was it its own series? Hell, I even heard something about Atlus making some studio for the Persona games.
#2yukaru00Posted 2/7/2013 9:20:26 AM
persona is basically a spin off to the main SMT series, by borrowing the demons and deities as personas, only. The story itself has no connections to the original SMT franchise. Correct if I'm wrong.
#3kratoscar2008Posted 2/7/2013 9:43:04 AM
cheatermaster posted...
Is the Persona series its own series? Or is it part of the Megami Tensei series? Cause I think some people say despite having the name Shin Megami Tensei, its not really part of the entire series. At least I think some people said that. So now I'm starting to confuse here. Has all the Persona game always been part of the SMT series or was it its own series? Hell, I even heard something about Atlus making some studio for the Persona games.

It is part of the Megaten universe, wich SMT is a spinoff of Megami Tensei series.

Actually the spin off series Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoner is what connect the main series and spin off, the multiple endings of Raidouh Kuzunoha 2 branch the series into SMT, SMT if and SMT Nocturne, wich IF gave birth to Persona, basically Persona takes place in the Amala Universe in wich all Megaten works.

thats why ATLUS can put SMT on Persona but not in lets say Etryan Oddissey.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#4metamaraPosted 2/7/2013 11:58:15 AM(edited)
Persona 1 is Megami Ibunroku Persona, which puts it as a spinoff under megaten series.
#5BlitzKing900Posted 2/7/2013 5:24:55 PM
The good thing is that you can simply pick up Persona 3 or 4 and just play them without any knowledge of all the other games seeing as they are self contained with minor references. Very accessible.
---
PSN: Soggy-Snake-