I am curious, What is the criteria why X deity/being is Y arcana?

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 2/9/2013 12:25:53 PM
I am curious how they choose deities to be in a particular arcana. I mean lets say for example, why is izanagi under the fool arcana? Is it something related to its lore or what? Would greatly appreciate if someone could enlighten me about this subject.
---
"Once you go Marcus Munitions, you never go back us munitions"
#2LightOfJudgmentPosted 2/9/2013 12:43:22 PM
I'd say it's based more on the lore of the being and how it compares to what each Arcana symbolizes. For the most part, it's the same reason why Social Links are assigned to each Arcana.

Looking up what each Arcana symbolizes and the lore for the various beings may prove to be enlightening.
---
Awaiting/Want: Tales of Xillia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/Zerus/fail2-12.jpg
#3FScellPosted 2/9/2013 12:46:20 PM
I would say it's a general mix of symbolism and arbitrary slot filling.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#4RasolisuPosted 2/9/2013 12:53:37 PM(edited)
Usually it is somewhat thematic to their lore compared to what the arcana means, Fool means unpredictable, malleable, chance to change into any other arcana.

As well as some Arcanas have elemental themes like Magician is Fire, Empress is ice, Fortune is wind, Emperor is Lightning, Justice is light, Death is dark, Lovers is healing. Chariot, Strength, Tower are physical.

Although from game to game personas change arcana like in P1 Jack Frost is Lovers.
#5TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 12:51:30 PM
LightOfJudgment posted...
I'd say it's based more on the lore of the being and how it compares to what each Arcana symbolizes. For the most part, it's the same reason why Social Links are assigned to each Arcana.

Looking up what each Arcana symbolizes and the lore for the various beings may prove to be enlightening.

I think I get the S.Link part since I have read some stuff about tarot cards and I look at the major arcanas I got from tactics ogre from time to time and studied their meaning. I am just curious as to why lets say Izanagi is in the Fool arcana or you have Raphael (I think it is the Judeo-Christian archangel?) in lovers aside from the obvious why Fortune, Clotho, Lachesis(?) (sisters of fate?) are in fortune or Pale Rider (Death in revelations) in Death arcana.
---
#6iliekpieplzPosted 2/9/2013 12:54:28 PM
I've only briefly scanned the Kojiki, but I've read most of the part involving Izanagi.

Izanagi kinda draws a parallel with The Fool because he essentially starts at zero after being born from the Kotoamatsukami. He along side Izanami are tasked with creating Japan, which was pretty much the whole world for the Japanese civilization back then. They go through stuff I'm too lazy to list and eventually Izanagi becomes the force that creates life.

The Fool is depicted as the protagonist throughout his story which is represented through the major Arcana, eventually cultivating into The World. Quite a few of the Arcana can fit into Izanagi's story, but then again, they have very broad interpretations.
---
Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.
PSN: ZanSangyou
#7TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 1:04:27 PM
Was scanning some wikis about the deities and stuff but now I am kind of stuck on why Mara looks like that.

Anyway, I will try and see what personas I have and check their lore and how they fit in to that arcana. I think I will use the meaning in the fool's journey or Mr's Edogawa's lecture on the Fool's Journey in P3P
---
#8PinefruitPosted 2/9/2013 2:41:33 PM
I think the word Mara is similar to a slang for penis in Japan.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mysticfruit-1746/
#9RasolisuPosted 2/9/2013 3:29:38 PM
Pinefruit posted...
I think the word Mara is similar to a slang for penis in Japan.

This and the fact it is a demon of temptation so using that persona means you think with your you know what and greedy enough to have or want a gold ride. It should be more hunger arcana.