Persona 1 and 2 worth getting/playing?

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 2/9/2013 1:09:48 PM
I had a Soundtrack edition of P2 PSP lying around here and I just got P3P/P2 bundle as a late birthday gift. I was wondering if P2 is worth my time and if P1 is worth getting and its worth my time? If it has older mechanics, is it more like Devil Survivor (minus the turn-base part) and/or Strange Journey? and if those 2 games would/could be considered having some archaic mechanics and I think I could endure those two games and endure it, will I enjoy P1 and P2?
---
"Once you go Marcus Munitions, you never go back us munitions"
#2GigglepuffyPosted 2/9/2013 1:22:14 PM
I haven't played it in years, but Persona 2: Innocent Sin was by far one of my favorite RPGs I ever played back when it came out. I know western critic, according to the PSP release, think it didn't hold up as well with age, but I haven't played it since it came out so I can't comment on that.

If it really does feel a bit dated, then let me just say that if you're able to look past that, it's up there as the best Persona game. If anything, i think it has the best cast/storyline in the series, though its narrative was a bit stretched from what I remember?

Persona 1 I think is definitely dated enough that I can't recommend it. It's kind of a flawed and frustrating experience unless the player is very forgiving of archaic console RPGs.
---
1 0 5 43 x 96 4 2 % 2 1 * f f 91 ~ 2 4 561
165 4 2 ~ 19 f f * 1 2 % 2 4 69 x 34 5 0 1
#3TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 1:24:16 PM
If I was able to tolerate dragonquest IX? Do you think Im up for Persona 1?
---
#4CronoDASPosted 2/9/2013 1:24:49 PM
I don't recommend Persona 1. Persona 2 has its fans, although I'm not one of them. The game mechanics were fine, although it seems like the game was made easier for the PSP release. The problem is that the story isn't paced well; there's this ridiculously long segment in the middle where your characters are just running around and nothing interesting is happening. If you already have P2 you might as well give it a try, but just skip Persona 1 - it was never good.
---
- Doug
Embarrassed Minion of Bak'laag. http://backloggery.com/cronodas
#5sevihaimerejPosted 2/9/2013 3:21:08 PM
P2 is definitely worth your time, best game of the series even if the mechanics are a bit less refined than the newer entries in the series. P1 does have some slightly strange gameplay, but it's still a decent game.

As for the argument that P2 has pacing issues, that makes no sense whatsoever considering both P3 and P4 have a system where you have to basically wait for something relevant to happen (about once a month in game-time) in order to progress the story.
---
The Official Harihara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"Oh God! I was just imagining if dogs could talk."-Zach Galifianakis
#6Nightmare637Posted 2/9/2013 4:01:01 PM
sevihaimerej posted...
P2 is definitely worth your time, best game of the series even if the mechanics are a bit less refined than the newer entries in the series. P1 does have some slightly strange gameplay, but it's still a decent game.

As for the argument that P2 has pacing issues, that makes no sense whatsoever considering both P3 and P4 have a system where you have to basically wait for something relevant to happen (about once a month in game-time) in order to progress the story.

not agreeing with him or anything but what you said does nothing to disprove pacing issues.
---
PSN:Nightmare637
Don't bother arguing with Sophi he'll never admit hes wrong even when he is :D.
#7sevihaimerejPosted 2/9/2013 4:43:01 PM
Nightmare637 posted...
sevihaimerej posted...

not agreeing with him or anything but what you said does nothing to disprove pacing issues.

I know, I was kinda posting in a hurry. Anyway, the pacing of P3 and P4 vs. P2 is like a snail vs. a monkey on PCP. In P2 you are either in a dungeon or trying to get to the next one...you are always in an active phase. In P3 and P4 you pretty much have to wait until something happens to do anything, you are stuck in the flow of game time until it allows you to progress leaving you with nothing to do but social links (though P4 at least gives you side quests to encourage a little more time in the dungeons (the actual gameplay)).
---
The Official Harihara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"Oh God! I was just imagining if dogs could talk."-Zach Galifianakis
#8TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 6:34:45 PM
OK thanks guys!

I guess I will spend my remaining $15 on castlevania or any other RPG then.
---
#9RinkuTanukiPosted 2/9/2013 7:03:25 PM
I like both P1 and P2, and dammit I love the P1 remake's soundtrack. But they're not for everyone, in all honesty; P1 in particular.
---
I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this. But I don't think the purpose of the censorship was to ruin time-traveling Hitler's fun. - Curse
#10KuwagataHeroPosted 2/9/2013 7:42:07 PM
Is Innocent Sin worth playing without having access to Eternal Punishment? I really want to play them but I'd rather not start the story if I'm going to be missing out on a big part of it.
---
If I'm being ignorant, please enlighten me.